JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some range pHck up .308 that I could be interested in reloading for my bolt gun. Some of the cases are dented from extractor on what ever they where fired from and some even have small nicks in the brass. I have held off on reloading these due to this but have been told they maybe safe to reload. Was hoping to get some thoughts on this rathernot have one of these failing in my gun. Images below.
2012-11-13 18.54.25.jpg
2012-11-13 18.58.32.jpg

i would think that those should be just fine to reload, just run them through the full length resizer and what ever small dings will fire form back into shape.

Those are good to go. The next firing cycle will iron out those little dings. I load milsurp .223 brass that was fired out of M249 SAWs, and it's more dinged up that what you have. No issues whatsoever.

It's amazing how quick these ding's disappear when subjected to 55-60 thousand PSI:s0155:

It may take a firing or two to make them totally disappear but if there is no cut in the ding, just pop them out with a load/fire cycle.

The brass in the bottom image is actualy knicked. There is no dent but some of the brass is shered and folded or removed. Like if you had taped these lightly with a chisel. Its not much but it is low on the case. Are these as ok or only the dented ones?

The brass in the bottom image is actualy knicked. There is no dent but some of the brass is shered and folded or removed. Like if you had taped these lightly with a chisel. Its not much but it is low on the case. Are these as ok or only the dented ones?

If there is metal removed and not merely a scratch, I'd be inclined to toss it. Especially if it's below the half way point of the case length. A brass case is both a way to transport to a gun all the essentials for it to fire. Bullet, powder, and ignition source. It's also a gasket that prevents gases from spraying into the shooter's face. A failure close to the neck isn't all that bad as the rest of the case still seals the chamber. Any failure close to the breech is a bigger problem. Any damage where metal is removed is a potential failure point. A mere depression in the metal will merely expand when fired but still maintain the integrity needed to act as a "gasket".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top