JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dramatic video of the Japan crash today. The in cabin video shows everyone calm and collected inside. Amazing, must be due to Japanese culture where it would be considered obscenely rude to talk on a cell phone inside a bus.

Technical description

Last Edited:
Dramatic video of the Japan crash today. The in cabin video shows everyone calm and collected inside. Amazing, must be due to Japanese culture where it would be considered obscenely rude to talk on a cell phone inside a bus.
FWIW I seem to remember that people were calm during the US Airways landing on the Hudson. One (1) person tried to freak out and was told to STFU.

I remember in some of the most stressful moments of my life, I have remained eerily calm. Pressure sometimes has that effect on people.

All this talk about planes crashing and here I am flying to Vegas on Thursday, may the odds ever be in my favor.
full.gif

Looks like a Runway incursion, Faulty Ground Control! Appears a Japanese Coast Guard plane pulled onto the runway in front of the landing JAL flight and BLAMO, smoke and fire!

Looking at how the runways and taxy ways are laid out at this Airport, this was BOUND TO HAPPEN with out Absolute ground control, the Coast Guard Pilot and crew would not have seen an aircraft on short final! This will likely be found as a bad combo of Pilot error AND Faulty Ground Controllers!

@Ura-Ki is right, there's a lot goin' on there...

Haneda Airport (where the crash took place) in plan view
clicky to embiggen...

1704224986598.png
Credit: Google maps

more details of Japan crash. At 4:17 mark in the video you can hear the air traffic controller's instructions to the coast guard plane that went out onto the runway. It's in English but he talks so fast I can't understand 1 word of it. Apparently the coast guard plane got confused by the instruction?

From the damage to the airbus it looks like the dash 8 was already completely out on the runway and the a 350 landed on top of it cutting off its tail and wings. Discussion of that at roughly 9:10 mark.

4:17 mark for traffic instruction

9:10 mark for damage details on a350

Last Edited:
more details of Japan crash. At 4:17 mark in the video you can hear the air traffic controller's instructions to the coast guard plane that went out onto the runway. It's in English but he talks so fast I can't understand 1 word of it. Apparently the coast guard plane got confused by the instruction?

From the damage to the airbus it looks like the dash 8 was already completely out on the runway and the a 350 landed on top of it cutting off its tail and wings. Discussion of that at roughly 9:10 mark.

4:17 mark for traffic instruction

9:10 mark for damage details on a350

I slowed down his video on my phone and zooming in I can see both planes pretty good. What he said is right from what I see. Front of a350 fuselage cleared the dash 8. Engines hit dash 8 wing (dash 8 has wing on top of its fuselage). In sequence you can see it a few things clearly: front landing light a350, wing landing light a350, engine of a 350 in later frames, dash 8 nose and windows.
B609D5BC-73F7-49A9-A4BC-18918716A190.jpeg

1AB7C9CA-DF09-40FB-B437-98BE660AA78C.jpeg

FD85D65A-2229-4B85-B580-BE3886E48CCA.jpeg

5C65C72D-3362-48DE-AEC2-4F98E469CB5D.jpeg
Outlines to help show it, It's easier to see on video than stills (note that angle of red and yellow outlines are not technically correct)
FD6EBFAD-47AA-4AF0-BB1E-F7A668101CB7.jpeg

Last Edited:
Just saw a photo of the nose of the a350 and made me wonder if the damage is due to the nose taking out the dash 8 tail. Kinda looks like it's has horizontal rips on either side similar to the engines where they hit the wings. Also nose looks like it shows impact with the vertical part of the tail. Doesn't matter just interesting (sort of).
C55BD2AA-80F5-461A-8089-7F9B6C9A5987.jpeg
Angle of an a350 landing. Looks about right that the nose would hit the dash tail.
40EB5F59-769B-4BAF-AA6B-345BD9F009F0.jpeg
Dash 8 on ground
B5927537-7F8C-4343-A6A1-739C1758124C.jpeg

I also noticed the left engine nacelle of the AB had dents in it consistent with hitting a wing.

Also, watching the video, people escaping on the right side of the AB350 were treated to an engine still apparently running, spitting fire and sparks for a few minutes, despite looking like it was on fire internally. That would be frightening!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top