JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pinto, Vega, gremlin all classic failed designs. Seems like massive oil crisis hit while us making gigantic boats. So they had to get some type of small car out to sell fast.

One of the abominations I remember was the mustang II which always just looked like a slightly stretched pinto to me. I had 66 mustangs, loved the style but did not own 69, and had a 72 Mach 1. 72 Mach 1 design was ridiculously large up front but still pretty cool looking. The mustang II completely killed the mustang mystique for a long time Imo. And they had a cobra version of it which to me looked ridiculous and spoiled the name after the earlier Shelby mustangs (I liked most all of them).

That is.....if or until you're in an accident.

Watch this one until the end. Then, draw your on conclusions.

Aloha, Mark
Did you see that Pinto gas tank in the last part of the second video? It was mounted just behind the rear axle. Rear impact would crush the tank against the axle, frequently tearing it open and dispensing its contents directly under the engine block of the offending vehicle. This is why they were known for killing people.

Saw this for sale online locally. Do you like green? How about green exterior with green carpets, dash, seat, door panels, steering wheel, dash, headliner. Holy moly. And add fake wood grain, just to dress things up you know.

View attachment 1463410 View attachment 1463411 View attachment 1463412 View attachment 1463413 View attachment 1463414 View attachment 1463416
What kind of tard takes every pic in vertical format?

I swear, society is barely more intelligent than the amoebas we competed with before global warming.

Did you see that Pinto gas tank in the last part of the second video? It was mounted just behind the rear axle. Rear impact would crush the tank against the axle, frequently tearing it open and dispensing its contents directly under the engine block of the offending vehicle. This is why they were known for killing people.
Ford got sued over some death with the one year. It was what they called a "drop in tank". To make putting them together easier they made it so the tank dropped in and it just had a piece of something with carpet covering it. The fill tube was in there and clamped at both ends. So when hit in the rear that was the weak point where it would let go and spray gas inside the car. After that fiasco they put them so at least it was all under the car instead of in it. When this happened a LOT of people seemed shocked. I told them others had done this same thing on some trucks. Had a few trucks that the gas tank was behind the seat. It was a little disconcerting to hear that gas sloshing around behind you. :eek:

Ford got sued over some death with the one year. It was what they called a "drop in tank". To make putting them together easier they made it so the tank dropped in and it just had a piece of something with carpet covering it. The fill tube was in there and clamped at both ends. So when hit in the rear that was the weak point where it would let go and spray gas inside the car. After that fiasco they put them so at least it was all under the car instead of in it. When this happened a LOT of people seemed shocked. I told them others had done this same thing on some trucks. Had a few trucks that the gas tank was behind the seat. It was a little disconcerting to hear that gas sloshing around behind you. :eek:
Pinto??

My buddy's 1st gen Mustang had the gas tank on the inside of the trunk. And his dad's 4 door Chevy truck 454 had the gas tank behind the rear seats.

The Pinto one year had the drop in tank. Last truck I had that had the tank behind the seat was a GM of 70's something vintage. There were a lot of them floating around when I was a kid like that though. Don't think it was just GM who did that. You still see some on the road. Fill cap is just behind the driver side door. Tank is behind the seat and in the cab with passengers. When you drive them you can hear the gas sloshing around behind you.

My buddy's 1st gen Mustang had the gas tank on the inside of the trunk. And his dad's 4 door Chevy truck 454 had the gas tank behind the rear seats.
The Pinto one year had the drop in tank. Last truck I had that had the tank behind the seat was a GM of 70's something vintage. There were a lot of them floating around when I was a kid like that though. Don't think it was just GM who did that. You still see some on the road. Fill cap is just behind the driver side door. Tank is behind the seat and in the cab with passengers. When you drive them you can hear the gas sloshing around behind you.

I think it was either the first square body Chevy truck or last before them that had the tank inside. But at least it was up high where it's hard to hit them. Still kinda spooky.

Yep Detroit needed to get sued big a few times to learn to use some damn common sense. When they were building cars like that I find it really hard to believe that someone did not try to tell them this seems like a really poor idea. Put the gas tank inside the passenger compartment.

I think it was either the first square body Chevy truck or last before them that had the tank inside. But at least it was up high where it's hard to hit them. Still kinda spooky.
Yep those ones I had someone would have had to really cream me from the side to get them. It was just that damn sound of the fuel back there. Simple solution was to turn the radio volume up higher :s0140:

With the 454, you can also hear the fuel pumps sucking down the gas at full throttle. No joke.

My buddy's dad used to take us to go see hookers on Van Buren in Phoenix in that truck. Yup, running from pimps it was like Jesus sucking on a straw.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top