JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it worth getting a ruger ranch in 300 blk over the 5.56 version? Both take ar mags and 16in barrel. I currently don't have 300 blk and wondering if it's worth adding another caliber to what I have. I might eventually take it hunting but for the time being it would primarily be a range shooter

I vote no. If it's only a range gun go with 556 or 7.62x39. Better yet a Ruger American Rimfire. Exception being that of what @slimmer13 said.

I put together my own AR in 300 blackout after seeing all of those "hog hunting" videos on YouTube.

Now that I think about it.....LOL.....I don't even hunt.

Anyone interested in an unused/new AR in 300 blackout for cheap?

Aloha, Mark

No suppressor yet. @Reno I think that is the smarter thing to do. Is the ruger american rimfire a good rifle? How does it compare to others in its price range
The one I've owned and the others I've shot have always been very accurate. The over all refinement of them is so so, otherwise they are great rifles and worth the $ they cost.

I have them all, 300bo, 5.56, and 7.62X39. Infact at the moment I have 2 in 300BO. That is how much I think of them! I took 2 beautiful Whitetails last year with my 300BO Super loaded with 125BT. Here in WA we have to have .243 or better for deer. I picked up the 5.56 for the range, nice to shoot 50rnds in the time that the AR guys have dumped 300rnds and have 1/2' groups!

It all depends on what you want to do with it. The Ranch series are absolutely excellent rifles. So much so that the 2nd 300BO is brand new, but going to send it down for a rebarreling with a 6X45 Carbon Fiber 16.5" barrel. Should make it an absolutely unbelievablly quick and compact lil deer rifle, and be as light as possible, aiming to keep it un 6lbs SCOPED!

IMO buying a 300blk requires a commitment to reloading AND making brass from 223 donor cases. Factory ammo is just to darn expensive to plink with. If you want to suppress it, get the BLK... 223 suppressed is a joke. If you're not going to suppress the decision should be made on if you plan to hunt and what you're hunting. The Ruger American is an accurate platform so long as you free float the cheap stock and put a cheek riser on it. You can also get a chassis for them.

IMO buying a 300blk requires a commitment to reloading AND making brass from 223 donor cases. Factory ammo is just to darn expensive to plink with. If you want to suppress it, get the BLK... 223 suppressed is a joke. If you're not going to suppress the decision should be made on if you plan to hunt and what you're hunting. The Ruger American is an accurate platform so long as you free float the cheap stock and put a cheek riser on it. You can also get a chassis for them.
What he said

This is the one that the kiddo liked last we shot together.

I have the CZ457 Scout with laminate stock and threaded barrel, the CZ 457 Pro Varmint with coated stock and threaded barrel, and the Ruger American Rimfire with synthetic stock and had the barrel threaded. I added Tech Sights to the RAR (had to have a gunsmith add the front sights and thread the barrel) and that thing is SUPER accurate at the ranges I play with (25 - 50 yards). The 457 is more refined but even the Scout feels like it weighs more than the RAR. The 457 magazines are more expensive (and the Scout only came with a single shot adapter) whereas the RAR uses 10/22 magazines. I also have a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 that takes AR mags and the RAR is very similar to it. The Scout is the only one of the whole lot that came with iron sights, but I added irons to the RAR and Ranch without too much hassle. They're all different critters but I haven't even shot the 457s yet so I can't give a good comparison to the RAR accuracy wise. The 457s can change barrels easy enough to switch calibers and the same action can be moved between youth and adult stocks.

In short, the Rugers are cheaper but accurate and I really like them. The CZs have a much nicer fit and finish, but are a bit heavier and more expensive all around, but I also really like them too. None of that is really helpful, but I suppose it comes down to budget and feeding device preference. If you go the 22 route, if you don't already, I'd encourage a 22 suppressor as there is nothing like shooting subsonic 22 out of a bolt gun. It's quieter than my pellet rifle and is as close as you can get to movie magic suppressor quiet.

In the spirit of gun forums everywhere, buy them all!

Last Edited:
Is it worth getting a ruger ranch in 300 blk over the 5.56 version? Both take ar mags and 16in barrel. I currently don't have 300 blk and wondering if it's worth adding another caliber to what I have. I might eventually take it hunting but for the time being it would primarily be a range shooter
It all depends of what you do with it and if you reload or not. If you do not reload 300 Black Out is expensive and 223 is less to buy to plink with. I my self cast my own bullets (powder coat them not so not greasy and does not lead barrels or my suppressor). I have a 153 grain supersonic load, a 153 grain sub sonic load (quiet, as in I can listen to music as I shoot), and a 230 grain subsonic. The Ruger American does great with all 3 loads. The 153 grain sub sonic will not run the action on my AR. I shoot the Ruger American 10 times more than I shoot the AR`s.

I have my own range behind my barn with lots of steel targets, I shoot supressed most of the time, the AR` spit burnt powder in my face and the bolt actions I get no powder in my face at all.

I ended up getting the RAR .22. Already have several 10/22 mags so it works out. Also it has a synthetic stock with replaceable length of pull modules since my kids will also be shooting it.
After reading the replies a 5.56 would be better than 300 blk for me but the .22 was even better for me at this time. Thanks for all the input.

Great choice! Don't think there was a bad decision to be had in the bunch. With the RAR, you can get single shot adapters all the way up to 110 round drums. One of the things I enjoy is a 22 short magazine a guy sells on eBay. Little expensive at $30 or so, but you can use it as a template to build more if you like. Essentially he drills a hole in the feed lips at a specific point and has a bigger roll pin shoved in it that acts as a feed ramp.

I also enjoy Tech Sights and a Know Your Limit target (mine is from shootingtargets7.com). I prefer CCI standard velocity and CCI quiets but a bolt gun is pretty tolerant of most ammo.

You and your kids have a heck of a gun to enjoy together. Congrats!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top