JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at some SHOT Show recaps and the 8.6 BLK is surprisingly eye catching.

8.6x43mm...in a 1:3 twist barrel.

What do you think? Just another ammo fad or does this one hold any sort of promise for you?

I'd wait.

Im just now considering 300 black and I still haven't gotten one. 300 black has been out for a while now and is fairly successful. Now is a good time to get into it as I know it's not going anywhere.

8.6 might take off. It might fizzle out.

It looks godly expensive, as the twist rate means it will require heavily jacketed and thoroughly bonded bullets. That or expensive CNCd solids. IE, the cheap stuff will tear itself apart at high RPMs.

Looks cool, especially if it can be run through 9mm cans.

Id probably go with 338 spectre before this. Both are about the same amount of effort and cost to get into in my opinion.

I am guessing this will go the way of many flash in the pan cartridges. I will not be getting one as I can't see a role it could fill that I do not have filled.

My initial thoughts were: "Good grief! Not another one..."
Holds no interest for me. They need to prove the cost vs. benefit. There's only so many ways to push a projectile down a barrel. Marketing doesn't change physics.

Last Edited:
I would like to see real world ballistics as they claim it to have more energy at 1000 yds with a 12" barrel vs a 308 with a 16" barrel seems pretty hard to swallow. They must be cherry picking some ammo examples.

picked up a gun and ammo magazine at the barber shop last week.

These writers Jan and Dave had a bunch of articles talking about how the new cartridge (40 S&W?) was going to take the world by storm. I think one was even titled, "The Ultimate Self-Defense Round". So you know it must be legit.

said it killed goats like nobody's business. had power like a 10 in a 9mm package. they said that it was definitely the end of the 9mm.

what do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure it was a new issue, but it could have been sitting around awhile...

My initial thoughts were: "Good grief! Not another one..."
Holds no interest for me. They need to prove the cost vs. benefit. There's only so many ways to push a projectile down a barrel. Marketing doesn't change physics.
Look, you seem like a really nice guy, but I'm sorry to report you have no future as an executive in the firearms industry or as a gun writer.

:)

(if anyone's sarcasm meter is broke, that was a compliment)

Look, you seem like a really nice guy, but I'm sorry to report you have no future as an executive in the firearms industry or as a gun writer.

:)

(if anyone's sarcasm meter is broke, that was a compliment)
I'm not an engineer either. :)

But if I remember some of my high school science classes, it takes energy to spin an object and more energy is required to spin an object faster. So, it would be interesting to hear anyone but their marketing department explain how a 1:3 barrel that potentially uses more energy to spin a heavier bullet faster, somehow creates more energy.

I'm probably being overly simplistic, but it seems marketing departments have really latched on to the faster and faster twist rate fad...1:6, 1:5, now 1:3. If this keeps going, bullets will soon be making a right-angle turn as soon as they leave the case. Which, by the way, also brings up the question of barrel wear at these fast twist rates.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me anyway. I'm not buying one. Just noticing a lot "bigger, faster, better" hype from the industry lately. With the sheer number of rifle calibers already available, it seems like all these new gucci cartridges are splitting hairs so finely that the return isn't worth the investment, and they are a solution in search of a problem.

Last Edited:
I'm not an engineer either. :)

But if I remember some of my high school science classes, it takes energy to spin an object and more energy is required to spin an object faster. So, it would be interesting to hear anyone but their marketing department explain how a 1:3 barrel that potentially uses more energy to spin a heavier bullet faster, somehow creates more energy.

I'm probably being overly simplistic, but it seems marketing departments have really latched on to the faster and faster twist rate fad...1:6, 1:5, now 1:3. If this keeps going, bullets will soon be making a right-angle turn as soon as they leave the case. Which, by the way, also brings up the question of barrel wear at these fast twist rates.
The main objective of this is heavy subsonic bullets. They are looking to stabilize huge bullets going 800-1000 fps out of short barrels. More force will be required to get the bullet out, yes. Without it the bullet likely destabilizes and isn't very accurate. I'm certain they went with 1/3 twist for a specific reason.

I would consider it. But, I would want it for my Encore, which would require someone to make a barrel with that twist. If it comes out from MGM, I might try it. With the family move it looks likely I might start hunting again, (for food for the first time). And this sounds like a decent wallop through a good can for a fairly quiet rig. Hearing safe and no ear pro is important to me in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top