JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All seriousness here guys I have nothing against Ruger rifles
I mean... I'm not entirely happy about no iron sights on a .30-06 hawkeye. o_O
But to buy the next level up as mentioned earlier such as "hawk eye"
The hawkeye isn't really a next level up. It costs more simply because its controlled round feed, receivers are more expensive to make. Otoh, its just common to work it, I never had to on mine.

I mean... I'm not entirely happy about no iron sights on a .30-06 hawkeye. o_O

The hawkeye isn't really a next level up. It costs more simply because its controlled round feed, receivers are more expensive to make. Otoh, its just common to work it, I never had to on mine.

If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd be happy to spend some time behind the trigger with you. Might even sway you over to the dark side. Ruger isn't all what you think it's cracked up to be. And yes, I own a GP100 and a 77/22 WSM. :)

Yeah I can't read wind worth a damn. Out there, you can see grass moving one way at 500, and the other way at 1000. I just pretend that there isn't wind and hope they cancel each other out.:D

When I was popping 800, it was middle of summer and the mirage was really bad. With 20 MPH winds to boot. Wasn't easy. :)

Not a single one of my M-77s or HawkEyes ever needed to be cycled or otherwise worked in and all are serious shooters, if they weren't, I would have sold them long ago! A better comparison is to Take a SAKO A-5 and go shoot with a M-77 in the same caliber and then see which is better! This rant about a Ruger American being the equal of a Tikka is not a fair comparison, for a fair shake, the Ruger should be compared to Savage 10s and Remington 700's and Winchesters cheap new M70s, to say they are in the same class as a Tikka isn't fair to the Ruger! The face the Ruger can compare is a testament to the Ruger, but it's still not in the same class!

Why do I carry a Tikka SuperVarmint instead of one of my Rugers? Weight and range potential, otherwise I would always choose my Hawkeye Alaskan or one of my Guides! the Rugers is Heavy and accurate for most every thing I would ever need, but that darn Tikka is lighter and can sure shoot a fair piece further with accuracy to spare! I hunt at very high altitudes and extended ranges often requiring a pretty good hike of a few thousand feet, a 9 pound rifle vs a 7 pound rifle sure makes a difference! when that 7 pound rifle can also shoot across the canyon accuratly enough to put game oon the ground, that cinched it for me!

If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd be happy to spend some time behind the trigger with you. Might even sway you over to the dark side. Ruger isn't all what you think it's cracked up to be. And yes, I own a GP100 and a 77/22 WSM. :)
Actually, it IS what I think its cracked up to be... Because I bought the Hawkeye specifically for the mauser-like action. Which neither the RAR and Tikka offered. o_O My next bolty will be a different story.

Actually, it IS what I think its cracked up to be... Because I bought the Hawkeye specifically for the mauser-like action. Which neither the RAR and Tikka offered. o_O My next bolty will be a different story.

Save your nickels and buy a Tikka. Then we can be friends again. :D

Not a single one of my M-77s or HawkEyes ever needed to be cycled or otherwise worked in and all are serious shooters, if they weren't, I would have sold them long ago! A better comparison is to Take a SAKO A-5 and go shoot with a M-77 in the same caliber and then see which is better! This rant about a Ruger American being the equal of a Tikka is not a fair comparison, for a fair shake, the Ruger should be compared to Savage 10s and Remington 700's and Winchesters cheap new M70s, to say they are in the same class as a Tikka isn't fair to the Ruger! The face the Ruger can compare is a testament to the Ruger, but it's still not in the same class!

Why do I carry a Tikka SuperVarmint instead of one of my Rugers? Weight and range potential, otherwise I would always choose my Hawkeye Alaskan or one of my Guides! the Rugers is Heavy and accurate for most every thing I would ever need, but that darn Tikka is lighter and can sure shoot a fair piece further with accuracy to spare! I hunt at very high altitudes and extended ranges often requiring a pretty good hike of a few thousand feet, a 9 pound rifle vs a 7 pound rifle sure makes a difference! when that 7 pound rifle can also shoot across the canyon accuratly enough to put game oon the ground, that cinched it for me!

:s0152: And that is the advise that got me to go Tikka! :s0034:

I LOVE my Ruger 77/22 WSM. Of course my dad bought it the year I graduated HS and gave it to me about 7 years ago. But it's a damn fine rifle and one that will never leave my safe.

Save your nickels and buy a Tikka. Then we can be friends again. :D
Tell Tikka to make a mauser-like action and I wouldn't need to only have the hawkeye. :s0002:

Some gotta run the action, but not sure if its cause its rough or if its cause they aren't used to the action.

Tbh, I always thought the RAR would be more in line of the 700s and savages, though I'd go Ruger since the RAR is easy to find here. Sadly, the Hawkeye I couldn't find ANYWHERE within 50 miles of me! And no one was willing to sell me theirs. :(

But yes, its not lightweight, and I still wish the stock was longer.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top