JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is good to see there are several of us that want this to happen. I dig the concept of a very light weight, fast handling, suppressed Mauser auction in 5.7, with, say, a 10-round magazine. It reminds me of a modern spin on the Destroyer carbine concept. :)

A CZ with a set trigger, a mini sized action and an integrally suppressed barrel.

I suppose one could have something built if they could find a mag that would feed right and a bolt head that is appropriate for the cartridge. But it would be best if Ruger made one.

Or maybe Ruger will really surprise us with a 10/22 action type with a rotary mag that is flush and holds five rounds. But my bet is that if they do a rifle it will be a camp carbine that takes the 57 mag.

I still want a PS90, mostly because I grew up playing Goldeneye.

Never played it, though my two young brothers did. They, so I've been explained, refer to my vz61 as a "Klobb" for that reason. o_O

skorp2.jpg

If these take off, which with Ruger jumping in like this I suspect they will the ammo will start to come down in price as more of it is made. Remember how 10mm changed last couple years? I was thinking if someone could make up an adapter to put a brace on one of these? I would be wanting to put one on my wait list :D:D

Easy or good? I'd load for it for sure.

Neither one. You have my blessing to do it. Then talk to me afterward. I've done it once for a friend so I have some experience. Lots of detail, you can read about it at the links below if you want. These are designed for a blow-back action, they have a special secret coating on the brass. This gets disturbed in the cleaning process, it's a problem. Bullet tension is difficult to get right, then you find out that the factory seals the bullets in with some kind of glue. I think Redding has cut some dies that seriously undersize the mouth to compensate, this gets into other problems. Links:

That is, if you can find any of your brass after you fire the gun because some of it will be on the moon.

This is not a pistol for me, but if I were buying one I'd just stock up on plenty of factory ammo.

I view it as a niche gun, something of a novelty. I'm actually a little surprised that Ruger would make a gun in this cartridge, but they've been known to do small runs of product.

Neither one. You have my blessing to do it. Then talk to me afterward. I've done it once for a friend so I have some experience. Lots of detail, you can read about it at the links below if you want. These are designed for a blow-back action, they have a special secret coating on the brass. This gets disturbed in the cleaning process, it's a problem. Bullet tension is difficult to get right, then you find out that the factory seals the bullets in with some kind of glue. I think Redding has cut some dies that seriously undersize the mouth to compensate, this gets into other problems. Links:

That is, if you can find any of your brass after you fire the gun because some of it will be on the moon.

This is not a pistol for me, but if I were buying one I'd just stock up on plenty of factory ammo.

I view it as a niche gun, something of a novelty. I'm actually a little surprised that Ruger would make a gun in this cartridge, but they've been known to do small runs of product.
It seems the main potential for failure is disturbing the lacquer coating. I only ever handwash my brass anyway..

My understanding is that the problems mostly (only?) occur with semi-autos?

Of course, there are probably only semi-autos for the 5.7x28 right now - but I don't imagine the problems would occur with a bolt or lever or break open action.

It seems the main potential for failure is disturbing the lacquer coating. I only ever handwash my brass anyway..

I watched the video. I never said it couldn't be done. What I said was it wasn't a good one for reloaders. If you want to spend a lot of time and trouble, have a ball. The guy who made the video sells the stuff, of course he likes it.

Certaindeaf, I know you don't like to crimp. But the guy in the video mentioned it for this one. I priced the CH dies for this, two die set, plus taper crimp die, plus shell holder, $178 plus shipping.

50,000 psi for a blow-back pistol design. Cool.

I think if ruger did a pcc with this caliber they would sell a crap load. Also if they took their newer pcc with the pistol grip and put a sba3 brace on it they could make a 10 inch barrel pcc chambered in 5.7x28 that would be a pretty cool gun.

That would probably be the best thing ruger has ever done next to the mark series pistols and the mini 14. If they ever did do that I would absolutely buy one. Hell if they do the sba3 brace with a 9mm and a sub 10" barrel I would probably even buy one.

I watched the video. I never said it couldn't be done. What I said was it wasn't a good one for reloaders. If you want to spend a lot of time and trouble, have a ball. The guy who made the video sells the stuff, of course he likes it.

Certaindeaf, I know you don't like to crimp. But the guy in the video mentioned it for this one. I priced the CH dies for this, two die set, plus taper crimp die, plus shell holder, $178 plus shipping.

50,000 psi for a blow-back pistol design. Cool.
Thanks for your permission. I'd use Lee dies.

Thanks for your permission. I'd use Lee dies.

You're welcome. I suggested CH dies because that's what the guy in the video you posted was using.

You also stated that you would wash your brass. That may or may not be of value. In my experience with FNH brass, some of the coating was already burned off due to heat from propellant combustion. Note that the guy in your video was holding up bags of nice, new brass. With nice, new coating.

One other thought. In over 15 years of commercial availability, Hornady, Hodgdon (all product lines), Speer and Sierra have determined not to support reloading 5.7x28. Which I find interesting since they are the majors and presumably would forego income from doing so. Western powders publishes data for their products and some people who've used this data have had problems with it. Lyman has a detailed section in their latest manual about 5.7x28, with lengthy cautionary advice.

Yes, many people do go to the trouble of reloading this. But I suspect that if a person really wanted to argue this competently, they would buy the pistol, the gear, load the cartridge and gain the personal experience necessary to support their argument.

You're welcome. I suggested CH dies because that's what the guy in the video you posted was using.

You also stated that you would wash your brass. That may or may not be of value. In my experience with FNH brass, some of the coating was already burned off due to heat from propellant combustion. Note that the guy in your video was holding up bags of nice, new brass. With nice, new coating.

One other thought. In over 15 years of commercial availability, Hornady, Hodgdon (all product lines), Speer and Sierra have determined not to support reloading 5.7x28. Which I find interesting since they are the majors and presumably would forego income from doing so. Western powders publishes data for their products and some people who've used this data have had problems with it. Lyman has a detailed section in their latest manual about 5.7x28, with lengthy cautionary advice.

Yes, many people do go to the trouble of reloading this. But I suspect that if a person really wanted to argue this competently, they would buy the pistol, the gear, load the cartridge and gain the personal experience necessary to support their argument.
Well there you go.