JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My only hopes with Ruher releasing this, is that maybe just maybe, the round gets a bit more popular for someone to freaking make a bolt gun in it.

Knowing Ruger, they'll listen to consumers, and....

Release a semi carbine in 5.7 next.

sigh

Yup. I think it was Mossberg or Savage that tried to make a bolt gun for it that flopped? Not sure why - some people said there were accuracy problems, which doesn't make sense to me.

I think it would be a mistake for Ruger to try to compete with the PS90. Sure, they could probably do a camp carbine that takes the 57 mags, but since I already have three PS90s, why would I want a camp carbine? Sure it would probably sell, but I would rather have the PS90 or even an AR57.

Unless they made a better bullpup that would take the PS90 mags (which I really doubt they would), I would only be interested in a bolt or lever action, even a single shot (especially if it was a lightweight single shot). I would really like to see a really lightweight bolt/lever action that took the 57 mag (it would be a good idea if they made a 5 round mag so it would be legal for hunting).

But most likely we will see a semi-auto rifle.:(

I have a few Ruger guns .
I like all of them.
They make good guns I have 10/22 22/45
Ruger American in 308 and a old P89.

They do - sturdy well done guns. Some can use some refinement, but I don't think you would find most gunsmiths more than willing to take them that extra step. I really like their revolvers - the SP101 I used to have was very modular and robust. The Ruger 77 I had in .308 was nice too.

A revolver would be neat-o, though I suspect your right; same problem as the .22 Jet wheelgun.

And probably the only advantage over the semi-auto would be the ability to shoot light loads, or other handloads. It might not be any more accurate.

I need to find someone who will make me a .223 to 5.7x28 adapter so I can shoot my 5.7x28 ammo in my .223 bolt actions and my Savage 24. If I could do that, and get acceptable accuracy (which I think I would) then I wouldn't care what rifle Ruger came out with unless it was a better bullpup (lighter, more robust and took PS90 mags).

Yup. I think it was Mossberg or Savage that tried to make a bolt gun for it that flopped? Not sure why - some people said there were accuracy problems, which doesn't make sense to me.

I think it would be a mistake for Ruger to try to compete with the PS90. Sure, they could probably do a camp carbine that takes the 57 mags, but since I already have three PS90s, why would I want a camp carbine? Sure it would probably sell, but I would rather have the PS90 or even an AR57.

Unless they made a better bullpup that would take the PS90 mags (which I really doubt they would), I would only be interested in a bolt or lever action, even a single shot (especially if it was a lightweight single shot). I would really like to see a really lightweight bolt/lever action that took the 57 mag (it would be a good idea if they made a 5 round mag so it would be legal for hunting).

But most likely we will see a semi-auto rifle.:(
Ya, but...

You are the exception not the rule. You already own the BMW...

Most see expensive things as forbidden fruit.

Take an item like a BMW.

Put one feature of that high end BMW and put in your Kia Soul. It will sell like hot cakes.

Most here are literally proving that psychological ideology. They could never afford the luxury of the FN. However, because it is considered luxury, they long for it.

Take a feature of that FN, in this case the round it fires, put it in the economy Ruger. Folks will flock to it simply because it was once out of reach and no longer is.

If Ruger undercut the PS90 by 400-500 dollars, like they are undercutting the 5.7 pistol, people will simply buy it, just because they once couldn't.

If you want to see what happens when you stick a bottleneck cartridge in a revolver, buy a 17hmr revolver and run it through a chronograph.

It would be cool to see Ruger produce a semi auto carbine in any chambering, even 5.7mm - if Kel Tec can make a semi-reliable bullpup, Ruger certainly can make one that's reliable and less expensive than a Tavor or AUG

Ya, but...

You are the exception not the rule. You already own the BMW...

Most see expensive things as forbidden fruit.

Take an item like a BMW.

Put one feature of that high end BMW and put in your Kia Soul. It will sell like hot cakes.

Both Bimmers I bought were used (the first only had 6K miles on it, the second 46K), paid $26K for both of them, both were still under warranty. Both are still on the road with more than 100K miles on them now. Very reliable and economic. No way I would have bought them new (unless I won the lottery) - too expensive (although yes, I could afford them new, I just will not spend more than $30K on a car, much less $45K or more).

Yes, a KIA Soul would be $20K, but I don't think it would last as long or be as nice or reliable as a Bimmer. My kids bought a KIA new back in 2000 for $10K. It gave up the ghost a couple of years ago with a little bit over 100K on it. It had a lot of problems. I never liked it - always seemed cheap inside. I suppose they are nicer now though.

Before the Bimmers, I never paid more than $11K for a vehicle (well, there was that Ducati for $13K - but that doesn't count ;)). I have never bought a new car and only once did I buy a new motorcycle.

Most here are literally proving that psychological ideology. They could never afford the luxury of the FN. However, because it is considered luxury, they long for it.

Take a feature of that FN, in this case the round it fires, put it in the economy Ruger. Folks will flock to it simply because it was once out of reach and no longer is.

If Ruger undercut the PS90 by 400-500 dollars, like they are undercutting the 5.7 pistol, people will simply buy it, just because they once couldn't.

I agree - a 'camp carbine' in 5.7x28 would sell like pancakes (which I am betting they will do - maybe after that, they will do a bolt action) - but already having a PS90, I just don't have a use for one. Come gun ban/Confiscation time, it would be just as verboten as a PS90, and it doesn't give me anything a PS90 doesn't already have. Now if I didn't have a PS90, I might consider it. So yes, a lot of people will buy it. And I am betting that Ruger will do better than $500 less than the price of a PS90 (usually around $1200 to $1300 last I checked).

Which is okay as it will just make the cartridge that much more popular, meaning it will probably go down in price and there will probably be a wider choice of ammo types - all good. If I could find a machinist to make a 5.56 to 5.7 adapter, then I would be happy - I could probably make one myself if I had the lathe. Maybe @Velzey would do one for me?

All in all, good news.

I will buy the 57 (unless I hear anything different about it). I would have bought it instead of the Five Seven had it been out when I was buying the Five Sevens. I don't have so much $ that I won't take advantage of a good deal when I see one. Except for the slot on the slide (which maybe could be remedied) and the heavier weight (which isn't that much), I think it is a better pistol.

One thing I noticed, and I think it is probably because the slide is heavier (which I will weigh when I get my hands on one) is that if you watch the slow motion recoil, is the majority of the muzzle flip doesn't happen until the slide stops at the full rearward travel, well after the bullet leaves the barrel. It will be interesting to compare that to the Five Seven.

If I didn't already have an FN Five Seven I'd be looking at the Ruger. I've got a threaded barrel on mine to run it suppressed, plus an AR57 upper I can runs suppressed on an SBR lower. Guess I'm too far down the rabbit hole to want to keep digging.

If I didn't already have an FN Five Seven I'd be looking at the Ruger. I've got a threaded barrel on mine to run it suppressed, plus an AR57 upper I can runs suppressed on an SBR lower. Guess I'm too far down the rabbit hole to want to keep digging.
Lol I got a Glock 22 that I am so deep in the rabbit hole with.
But I never shoot it .
So I'm going to trade it in at the gun shop.
And probably take a HUGE loss .
To get something else.
That I actually might use.