JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just received an FFL newsletter from Ruger. Apparently they are going to be releasing a 20 + 1 shot 5.7㎜ at around the <$600 price point. Thoughts?

ruger-57-review.jpg

is that the same caliber as the FN5.7whatever?

I have shot that (now) older 5.7 whichever, in the only pistol that chambered it.
Simply Not Enough Availability/terminal ballistics/ammo choices to interest me.

Good luck.

Fun fun fun til the 5.7 goes the way of .45 GAP, 41AE, 50spl, 9x18, etc.

(Okay, that last one put up a helluva fight, stuck around for a good while and is still available. But you get the idea)

Does the 5.7mm have advantages over more established calibers (5.56-6mm)? That's a real question, I'm not very familiar with it and caliber overlap without distinct advantages (ballistics, cost, whatever) is the leading cause of premature caliber death. Just ask .41AE what happened, he'll tell you. Well, he would if he wasn't DEAD :rolleyes:

Ammo more available than a .22TCM???
I'd really like to get my dirty hands on one of those. Owners tell me it's a hoot to shoot but I haven't been able to do that yet.
The RIA convertible 1911 (9mm/22TCM) looks like fun but I'm in a bit of a financial holding pattern at the moment (that's what broke people like to say).
Glad forums don't charge admission...

Fun fun fun til the 5.7 goes the way of .45 GAP, 41AE, 50spl, 9x18, etc.

(Okay, that last one put up a helluva fight, stuck around for a good while and is still available. But you get the idea)

Does the 5.7mm have advantages over more established calibers (5.56-6mm)? That's a real question, I'm not very familiar with it and caliber overlap without distinct advantages (ballistics, cost, whatever) is the leading cause of premature caliber death. Just ask .41AE what happened, he'll tell you. Well, he would if he wasn't DEAD :rolleyes:

Primarily, this gives armor piercing capability in a concealable handgun, since it's technically a "rifle" round. Its good for ice-picking someone. They do make expanding bullets for it. Benefits are supposed to be easy recoil, fast followup shots, and like I mentioned, the capability to punch thru soft armor pretty easily. Ammo is not cheap, but Federal does make some stuff for it besides the FN ammo.