JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If anyone is considering getting into 5.7x28, Federal does make really decent ammo so you don't have to pay the price for FN ammo. It's a little bit more dirty than the FN ammo, but it's just as accurate based on my experience.

If you end up liking the round, AR57 makes a great AR15 upper using the PS90 magazine.

20 on the hip, 50 on the sling, what's not to like :D

If anyone is considering getting into 5.7x28, Federal does make really decent ammo so you don't have to pay the price for FN ammo. It's a little bit more dirty than the FN ammo, but it's just as accurate based on my experience.

We'll see what the street price is after a few months, but even at a bit over $1 per round it will be less expensive than the exotic handloaded ammo - e.g., Elite ammo at more than double the cost per round.

You can add an extension and have 30 on the hip. I have one or two, just have not tested them yet.

If you end up liking the round, AR57 makes a great AR15 upper using the PS90 magazine.

Now that Ruger is making one that people can afford .
I bet a lot of people are going to get into it.

BOut damn time we had options OTHER then FN in a decent pistol!
Now for a nice little carbine bolt gun chamberd in this, WOW!

I WANNA ONE! :)

I had a rifle upper (AR57) which I had high hopes for, it never panned out. My 6" barreled upper outshot it by a wide margin. It may have been my specimen. I also had a PS90 for a while that just wasn't what I expected accuracy-wise, then again a PS90 trigger should not be on anyone's shopping list :(

According to my experience, 5.7x28 may well be a round best suited to shorter barrels.

Here is something to consider; the 5.56x45 55 grain load loses about 600 fps when you shoot it in a 10" barrel (AR pistol) vs a 20" rifle - down to about 2400 fps. This is not a whole lot more than the 5.7x28 in a rifle length barrel - although the 5.7x28 factory ammo max projectile mass is 40 grains.

If you consider the 5.56x45 to be effective past 100 yards (where it has lost even more velocity), then the PS90 is similarly effective at shorter ranges.

The PS90 does not have a 16" barrel - the true effective (rifled) length of the barrel is 14.8", the rest of the barrel is flash hider blind pinned to the barrel to make it US legal. FN ammo is tuned mostly for the P90 (10" barrel) or the PS90 ~15" barrel - having a longer barrel won't get you too much more velocity.

Depending on the length of the buffer tube and what the muzzle device is, the PS90 bullpup can be about as short or even shorter than an AR pistol, and it is better to shoulder, with or without a pistol brace on the AR.

I had the PS-90 and was expecting more, especially for the price, and the cost of mags! After I did the SBR conversion and stamp, it worked out a hell of a lot better! Still, a super expensive option that the 5.56 ( HK-53) filled nicely, though larger and heavier!

Here is something to consider; the 5.56x45 55 grain load loses about 600 fps when you shoot it in a 10" barrel (AR pistol) vs a 20" rifle - down to about 2400 fps. This is not a whole lot more than the 5.7x28 in a rifle length barrel - although the 5.7x28 factory ammo max projectile mass is 40 grains.

If you consider the 5.56x45 to be effective past 100 yards (where it has lost even more velocity), then the PS90 is similarly effective at shorter ranges.

The PS90 does not have a 16" barrel - the true effective (rifled) length of the barrel is 14.8", the rest of the barrel is flash hider blind pinned to the barrel to make it US legal. FN ammo is tuned mostly for the P90 (10" barrel) or the PS90 ~15" barrel - having a longer barrel won't get you too much more velocity.

Depending on the length of the buffer tube and what the muzzle device is, the PS90 bullpup can be about as short or even shorter than an AR pistol, and it is better to shoulder, with or without a pistol brace on the AR.
And I think a 5.7 is 40 grains a 2200 fps out of a F.N. PISTOL.

I had a rifle upper (AR57) which I had high hopes for, it never panned out. My 6" barreled upper outshot it by a wide margin. It may have been my specimen. I also had a PS90 for a while that just wasn't what I expected accuracy-wise, then again a PS90 trigger should not be on anyone's shopping list :(

According to my experience, 5.7x28 may well be a round best suited to shorter barrels.

It is tuned for shorter barrels, but I don't think a longer barrel harms it.

There was a guy working on a better trigger for the PS90, but I have not heard of any progress on it for more than a year.

Also, the P90/PS90 is not built to be a front line rough and tumble infantry rifle.

It is a PDW rifle for when the enemy over runs the front lines and the rear echelon (cooks, clerks, doctors, etc.) needs to defend itself or for aircrews, or for tank crews. Having looked at it inside and out, this is not a rifle for firing thousands of rounds per firefight over and over and over again. It is defensive firearm for when you need to defend yourself in an emergency. Something you are more likely to have with you or within your reach when you are doing something other than fighting - something that isn't as likely to get in your way or get left behind because it is too cumbersome.

I had the PS-90 and was expecting more, especially for the price, and the cost of mags! After I did the SBR conversion and stamp, it worked out a hell of a lot better! Still, a super expensive option that the 5.56 ( HK-53) filled nicely, though larger and heavier!

I am thinking of finding someone to do either an integral or reflex suppressor such that it isn't an SBR without the suppressor (or the suppressor is integral so therefore still not an SBR), but it isn't any longer than 26-27" either. Such that I don't have to get an SBR stamp and I don't have to tell the ATF where I am going with it.

I had bought my PS90 planning to SBR it, which I did, on a form 1. I bought the short barrel and filed the paperwork e-file. That's about when someone realized WA law permitted everything about an SBR except making one, so ATF would not approve the form 1.

I was so pissed off I sold the PS90 and the short barrel.

Just to be clear, I wasn't upset at ATF, they did their job.

That said, there are a number of aftermarket configurations/shops/etc., that will SBR the PS90 down to P90 length and optionally thread the barrel for a suppressor.

We've kicked that around a bit for the Mrs. She's short and has short arms, so it would fit. Paper it and shorten the barrel and toss the 9㎜ can on it and call it good. :)

ruger_13.jpg

We've kicked that around a bit for the Mrs. She's short and has short arms, so it would fit. Paper it and shorten the barrel and toss the 9㎜ can on it and call it good. :)

I recommend the following:

1) Prefer the earlier tri-rail PS90 - it has a lower optic rail height. You will want an optic on this as the factory iron sights suck. I am using a Mepro M21. I think TROS makes a lower rail for later models - although the TROS website does not render anything for me right now (does anybody know if TROS is still in business?). There is also this:

2) There are other charging handles that improve on the factory handle. I got this one and really like it:

I shot the FN FiveSeven and was underwhelmed. The Ruger isn't going to get me to jump on the 5.7 bandwagon. A short bolt action carbine threaded for a can in 5.7, now, that is another reason all together!

I recommend the following:

1) Prefer the earlier tri-rail PS90 - it has a lower optic rail height. You will want an optic on this as the factory iron sights suck. I am using a Mepro M21. I think TROS makes a lower rail for later models - although the TROS website does not render anything for me right now (does anybody know if TROS is still in business?). There is also this:

2) There are other charging handles that improve on the factory handle. I got this one and really like it:

Thanks for the heads up. :)

A short bolt action carbine threaded for a can in 5.7, now, that is another reason all together!

It is good to see there are several of us that want this to happen. I dig the concept of a very light weight, fast handling, suppressed Mauser auction in 5.7, with, say, a 10-round magazine. It reminds me of a modern spin on the Destroyer carbine concept. :)