JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes the 5.7 ammo is a bit more expensive than the. 22 TCM. Availability might not be as as good as the .22TCM though.
There's more companies making5.7 but I don't see around as much as .22 TCM.
:confused:

I have never seen 22tcm on any store shelf of any stores I frequent.

All those stores, I've seen 5.7x28

WPJZSHTOTJAFFL6ABS5U5NRFZY.jpg

Terminal Ballistics
At 2:37:00 in this podcast the subject is brought up

Interesting.

I do look at gel results, but I don't look at the gel; I look at the projectile. How far did it penetrate? Preferably at least 10-12 inches. Did it fragment? Preferably not, but fragmenting is preferable over doing nothing at all. Did it expand? Hopefully. Did it retain most of its mass?

This is why I am glad for the Ruger 57; I think it probably had a significant influence on Speer coming out with their new ammo. I read or heard (maybe it was in one of the vids) that it would meet the FBI's criteria for handgun defensive ammo - i.e., penetration and mass retention.

I really don't care what the velocity or energy of a bullet is - I want to know can it reach vitals and can it damage vitals? I also think along these lines; if a 40 grain 5.7 projectile at X velocity, at 50-100 yards, can penetrate and expand the same as a 55 gr. from a 5.56 at the same X velocity at 300 yards, and all the experts say the 5.56x45 is effective at that 300 yards, then the 5.7 projectile that can penetrate and expand the same at 50-100 yards, is just as effective.

As I said, it is a niche cartridge - not meant for the front line, not meant for front line infantry, but meant for cooks and clerks and doctors/nurses to defend themselves while they retreat. Is the 5.56x45 more effective? Yes. Is the 7.62x39 more effective? Yes. But it isn't meant to replace those cartridges.

I have a family member, who due to medical/health issues, does much better with the recoil of the 5.7x28 than they do with the 5.56x45 or the 7.62x39.

Anybody, including Chuck Norris, will be able to carry the Five Seven and PS90/P90 and more ammo further and faster, and shoot it better due to the lower recoil. That's a given. I have heavy recoiling handguns, rifles and shotguns - a shockwave 12 ga., a .45/70, a .460 mag, and so on. I prefer my SIG 227 in .45 ACP with 230 gr +P ammo for a defensive handgun - if I don't have to carry it very far. Recoil doesn't really bother me, but I can shoot the 5.7 faster and better - it is simple physics.

Also, when it comes to how much ammo and gun I can carry - due to my health and age, every ounce counts when I am hoofing it any distance. So the Five Seven and PS90 fills that niche. If I don't have to walk miles, if I am just sitting around the BOL, then my 227 and an AK are going to be my choice. The Five Seven and PS90 fill a niche for me and I am glad Ruger came out with the 57 because it means better ammo for me and mine.

Remember, the idea behind the 5.7x28 is to provide an alternative to the 9x19. An alternative that has a longer range, better penetration of body armor, less recoil and more ammo capacity.

Last Edited:
It is times like this that I really wish the damn Hughes Amendment did not exist. Imagine one of these little spunky muchachas with a three round burst and full auto setting? Magic in the mind.

Not to mention assuming this takes off, which I am sure it will, others will want in on the game. As soon as that starts more ammo makers jump in and price goes down. Not long ago there was very little 10mm made and it was hard to find on a shelf. Look at it now. If they start making an AR pistol upper in this round so I could easily have a pistol with a brace? I would be all over it.

It is times like this that I really wish the damn Hughes Amendment did not exist. Imagine one of these little spunky muchachas with a three round burst and full auto setting? Magic in the mind.

Imagine a P90 with its 50 rounds and full auto (the P90 accomplishes full auto just by pulling the trigger further back - that is my understanding anyway).

But a PS90 can be shot pretty fast, and the trigger can be improved - not as much as an AR trigger, but they can be shot fast in and accurately in semi-auto.

Not to mention assuming this takes off, which I am sure it will, others will want in on the game. As soon as that starts more ammo makers jump in and price goes down. Not long ago there was very little 10mm made and it was hard to find on a shelf. Look at it now. If they start making an AR pistol upper in this round so I could easily have a pistol with a brace? I would be all over it.

Well, Beetle Bop, one of the three swirling gun projects is a goner. (The Destroyer Carbine is the sadly one gone, but the Zabala cannon is still pending, and submachine-gun done other than Los Federales approval and acquiring the Lage upper.) Hmmm ... this one is becoming more tempting. I wonder how hard it would be to put the 9㎜ can on it? Probably too soon.

Last Edited:

I guess you must never come to Eugene. I can find it just about everywhere. If they don't have it, they're probably sold out and waiting on more.
Oh, and by the way, The Portland area isn't the center of the universe lol.

This is on their site now: Damn thing looked interesting. Would like to know what happened to make them pull these

WE HAVE TEMPORARILY CEASED PRODUCTION DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES.
WE WILL BE BACK UP AND RUNNING AS SOON AS WE POSSIBLY CAN.

They do make an AR upper in 5.7 (pistol) or you can build one. Not to mention this round has been around for quite a few years now and this is the first weapon chambered in that caliber I've seen released other than an FN.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon lol.

They do make an AR upper in 5.7 (pistol) or you can build one. Not to mention this round has been around for quite a few years now and this is the first weapon chambered in that caliber I've seen released other than an FN.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for everyone else to jump on the bandwagon lol.
I so far am not seeing any. The one place that was making them to take those P90 mags has stopped so something was wrong. If someone I know like Primary starts offering one I will want it. That is if they offer it in pistol form. As for not waiting everyone said that about the 10mm a very short time ago when I got interested. Look now at whats there. Since the Ruger family got kicked out of the co they are making what people want and I have not seen them miss yet. I suspect this is going to take off too and the people laughing are going to be laughing all the way to the bank. :D

I think there may be another website for AR uppers that take 5.7x28 and use the PS90 mag. I think the original guy may have licensed the IP to someone else. I don't know. A few months ago I think I came across another site where they had pistol/SBR uppers. They were pretty expensive - you could get a PS90 for the same cost IIRC.

This is on their site now: Damn thing looked interesting. Would like to know what happened to make them pull these

WE HAVE TEMPORARILY CEASED PRODUCTION DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES.
WE WILL BE BACK UP AND RUNNING AS SOON AS WE POSSIBLY CAN.
I wonder if that's a blowback instead of a delayed blowback like the 57 and FN.. if so, good luck.

I think there may be another website for AR uppers that take 5.7x28 and use the PS90 mag. I think the original guy may have licensed the IP to someone else. I don't know. A few months ago I think I came across another site where they had pistol/SBR uppers. They were pretty expensive - you could get a PS90 for the same cost IIRC.
I did some searching and nothing was popping up so far. Midway catalogs one and shows discontinued. figure someone will start making one as this round starts to build. Not that I "need" one anyway :D. I do like the looks of the round and with Speer jumping in it's looking better. When someone starts offering a pistol upper I can slap on my lowers? I will want one