JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get the jones for this round; shot a buddies FN a bit; couple mags onto a falling plate rack. The 22LR had been knocking most of them down, but for some unknown reason with all their PF etc mostly the plate rack was unimpressed. In those days there was only 1 sporadic source for ammo as well.
While 17hmr works fine for me in rifle, the pistol I had for it simply was not satisfying either.
Good luck with your dreams.

5.7 must be a thing again m even CMMG is releasing another version on top of what they already have released in 5.7.

I kind of thought this would start to happen. I have no doubt some of the others will soon jump on this too now. Ruger has been turning out one winner after another since they family got kicked to the curb. I guessed they were not going to bring out this pistol without a good idea this was catching on

I'd buy one of these if they also come out with the same caliber on the Ruger American bolt action.

I was taught that multi use caliber is a good thing.

I'd buy one of these if they also come out with the same caliber on the Ruger American bolt action.

I was taught that multi use caliber is a good thing.
Gosh, I'd jump on a bolt gun in this caliber. Thats really the only way I'd get something chambered in it.

I'm sure it's a cool range gun but for me to would serve no purpose at all. Cant use it for self defense.. cant compete with it.. I dunno. Cool range toy but that caliber died years ago. This last gasp isn't going to work.

RIP 5.7x28.
RIP 357 sig "tears".
RIP .40. Glad you died!

Gosh, I'd jump on a bolt gun in this caliber. Thats really the only way I'd get something chambered in it.

Ditto. Some type of super smooth, micro-Mauser action, nice wood stock, 5 or 10-round magazine, light-weight but quality glass, and threaded for a can. What's not to like? :D

It has been a month since the Shot Show and so far I have not seen any Speer 5.7x28 ammo on the market, or even a real review of it where it was tested by an independent party in gel and in the PS90 or Five Seven. :s0092:
I'd love to see some alternative ammo available besides FN (and only online) sometimes it's hard to find 27gr ammo and most stores that carry it around here only have the slow stuff.

still amazed by people who go drop 1000+ on a 5.7, buy the worthless American Eagle ammo...then trash talk the round (and sell the pistol). AE ammo in this caliber is dirty underpowered garbage and that's not opinion lol

I've not had problems with the AE ammo - only problem I had was when I tried to load 21 rounds in a 20 round mag and the top round bent (round misfed and the projectile bent out of the mouth of the case). Never had a problem with it in the PS90.

But I don't shoot that much of it - yet. I have a lot of it for practice. That's ok - if it doesn't work then it will just be good for malfunction drills.

The FN forums don't like it either - say it is actually made by Fiocchi? That and one of the other FN branded ammo loadings? The blue tip VMax?

Ran into this yesterday:

He complains about problems with the Five Seven vs. the 57, but he is shooting the blue tip VMax 40 grain.

Here's hoping this development does bring more 5.7㎜ ammunition offerings; more the merrier. I've been tempted to adopt this caliber for some time, but held off. With Ruger's offering, I readily admit, I am tempted again. :)

I would hope more companies would start offering loadings for this! I had a PS-90 for a while and the only choices back then were the factory FN stuff, way over priced and so so performance! Sadly, because of the ammo deal, I let that little BullPup go, not because there was anything wrong with the PS-90, but the ammo issues were irreconcilable! IF I cant shoot it, I don't want it! With the surge in .300 Black Out, My requirements here are now met!

Idk the blue tip commercial stuff is slow velocity and a weaker powder charge but still seemed to cycle well in the AR57 and 5.7 pistol...and way cleaner. The AE stuff is anemic....specifically the AR57 had cycling issues with it especially after getting dirty (which happened quickly). I really think the higher velocity 27gr stuff is what fn intended as a standard round but don't know for sure, just know our guns like it better :p

Looking at prices online. Of course they're all over Gunbroker and people are buying them over the retailed price because they are back-ordered. Budsguns will allow you to "Reserve" one at the current price of $679.00 shipped.

I have an FN 5.7 and a carbine 5.7 made by Masterpiece arms. They both use the same mags. The great thing about this little carbine is, one, it was only $700,00 (lot cheaper than the PS90) a couple years ago and two, they made it to run on the cheaper 5.7 mags versus the more expensive FN 5.7 mags.

I am considering one of these while they are still relatively inexpensive. everytime I wait, ;like with the M17 surplus pistols, they go up.

I very impatiently waited for one to show up at our local Coastal and snagged it. IIRC it was just a tic over $600. I unfortunately have not had a chance to shoot it between, work, kids sports and weather but will let you guys know how it runs when I do.

Ruger 57 (1).JPG Ruger 57 (2).JPG