JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But how many are happy with it in it's intended role?
Small Caliber PDW's: FN 5.7 mm/HK 4.6 mm

I am - its intended role fits fine into how I intend to use it. I don't intend to be on the front line of any conflict. I am too old and broken to engage, and I don't have the experience or training (just a little bit of LE training). My kids are in about the same condition (in fact, I might be in better condition than either of them).

Interestingly, the reason that the 5.7 was not adopted by NATO (for behind lines PDWs) was because HK put the kabosh on it - pissed because their gun/cartridge combo didn't win.

I would think somebody walking the river fishing, or walking/working the farm. Would be better served by this gun than a .22 magnum auto. [For those desiring a .22 caliber ''varmint'' auto pistol.]

With its centerfire round it could also be trusted as a defense gun.

Still. I would probably just take a .22 mag revolver for the same myself.
Revolvers don't care as much about duds. And .22 mag is cheep.

.22 mag costs about the same as 5.7x28

5.7x28 used to be expensive and scarce, but not so much anymore.

Ruger must be following CMMGs marketing schemes and giving these things out to any YT personality.

Lol, my YouTube feed has a video popping up on it about once every five minutes.

I was going to say I just watched a YouTube video this morning.
Looks pretty cool.
5 7 ammo is pretty exspesive though.

Define expensive.

I have bought it as cheap as 30 cents per round for the Federal FMJ. I haven't seen it that cheap for a year or more, so I am glad I bought thousands while it was cheap. PSA would have it on sale about every other month and I would buy 500 to a thousand at a time. I think I have about 5K now (got some with some Five Sevens and PS90s too).

Current prices are about 10 cents more per round than Federal .223 - so yeah, more expensive, but not prohibitive. Also, my bet is now with this new gun we will see new ammo and that will drive down the price.

That said, the ammo is readily available, just not a wide selection. Let's hope that changes. We'll see. I am committed to it, and at the current prices for the mainstream ammo (not the handloaded custom ammo) the expense is not a problem for me.

Define expensive.

I have bought it as cheap as 30 cents per round for the Federal FMJ. I haven't seen it that cheap for a year or more, so I am glad I bought thousands while it was cheap. PSA would have it on sale about every other month and I would buy 500 to a thousand at a time. I think I have about 5K now (got some with some Five Sevens and PS90s too).

Current prices are about 10 cents more per round than Federal .223 - so yeah, more expensive, but not prohibitive. Also, my bet is now with this new gun we will see new ammo and that will drive down the price.

That said, the ammo is readily available, just not a wide selection. Let's hope that changes. We'll see. I am committed to it, and at the current prices for the mainstream ammo (not the handloaded custom ammo) the expense is not a problem for me.
I really haven't looked into it lately.
But if it's like you say then it's the same a 5.56 .
I don't remember what the price was for the Ruger.
Did they say anything about it.

Lol I guess I could go back and watch one of the videos.
There are like 5 already about it.
Now I'm wondering how hard is it going to be to put hands on one.

Something I do not like about the Ruger 57; the port slot on the top of the slide. I am sure they did this to reduce the weight of the slide such that the action will work - the 5.7x28 being tricky in that regard. Indeed, they advice against using any optics that weigh more than one ounce, and against handloads - both of which you probably do want to obey (I only intend to reload the 5.7x28 for something that is not semi-auto, if that is ever possible).

Why don't I like the slot on top of the slide? Because that exposes the internals of the action to debris. If you have ever watched the mud test vids out there, you will see that those guns, whether handgun or rifle, that had actions that are less exposed to the mud, did a LOT better in the mud tests. For this reason, I doubt the Ruger 57 will ever replace the FN Five Seven in the military markets (unless they do something about that slot).

My only hopes with Ruher releasing this, is that maybe just maybe, the round gets a bit more popular for someone to freaking make a bolt gun in it.

Knowing Ruger, they'll listen to consumers, and....

Release a semi carbine in 5.7 next.

sigh

I really haven't looked into it lately.
But if it's like you say then it's the same a 5.56 .
I don't remember what the price was for the Ruger.
Did they say anything about it.

The MSRP for the Ruger is $799, street price $600-$700?

I have paid between $1000 and $1200 for the used Five Sevens I have bought (one of them came with a threaded barrel and some came with ammo) - so I would say the Ruger street price will be close to half the price of the FN. If anything, the Ruger will probably make FN rethink how much they sell the Five Seven for, or maybe they will just cede the civilian market to Ruger?

I am hoping that the Ruger makes the 5.7x28 a more popular round, bringing the price down and having major ammo manufacturers think about making better self-defense ammo - the one vid said Speer is already going to do that, which is music to my ears; more effective ammo for self-defense is currently handloaded exotic ammo that is VERY expensive and provided only by very small custom loaders. The LE/mil-spec ammo can be had but is also very expensive because of the scarcity of it on the civilian market (FN not selling it to civilians).

The MSRP for the Ruger is $799, street price $600-$700?

I have paid between $1000 and $1200 for the used Five Sevens I have bought (one of them came with a threaded barrel and some came with ammo) - so I would say the Ruger street price will be close to half the price of the FN. If anything, the Ruger will probably make FN rethink how much they sell the Five Seven for, or maybe they will just cede the civilian market to Ruger?

I am hoping that the Ruger makes the 5.7x28 a more popular round, bringing the price down and having major ammo manufacturers think about making better self-defense ammo - the one vid said Speer is already going to do that, which is music to my ears; more effective ammo for self-defense is currently handloaded exotic ammo that is VERY expensive and provided only by very small custom loaders. The LE/mil-spec ammo can be had but is also very expensive because of the scarcity of it on the civilian market (FN not selling it to civilians).
And not only that but how long before someone else comes out with one.
S&W or even GLOCK .LOL