JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If only it was a bolt action with a tiny action 16" barrel threaded 1/2x28.

A pity this was not Glock's announcement. That would have been ...

1577817867169.png

I want!!!!!

Ammo more available than a .22TCM???

Yes probably IMO. Two major manufacturers - FN and Federal. Given that there are now two major manufacturers of a 5.7x28 pistol (vs only Armscor for .22 TCM), I am better that more ammo manufacturers will jump in.

I would like to see a hunting pistol and/or rifle for 5.7x28 too, and/or maybe a longer barrel for the Ruger 57 and a slide for mounting an optic? The steel slide would be more acceptable for mounting an optic.

Fun fun fun til the 5.7 goes the way of .45 GAP, 41AE, 50spl, 9x18, etc.

(Okay, that last one put up a helluva fight, stuck around for a good while and is still available. But you get the idea)

Not likely - the 5.7x28 is used by a number of militaries and LEOs.

Does the 5.7mm have advantages over more established calibers (5.56-6mm)?

Not ballistically, no. But recoil (especially in a handgun), weight (slightly), size and capacity are, to a point, some advantages. You would find 5.56x45 in a self-defense handgun (not including 'pistols' that are really SBRs), and a P90/PS90 with a 50 round mag is more compact than an AR with 50 round mags.

The 5.7x28 is plenty "established", but it is a more niche cartridge and not as widely used - partially because until now there were only one major manufacturer producing two firearms for it. Now there is Ruger, and my hope is that Ruger produces a rifle for the 5.7x28 too. I have a Five Seven and a PS90, but I would like a bolt or lever action 5.7x28 rifle.

Not likely - the 5.7x28 is used by a number of militaries and LEOs.

Not ballistically, no. But recoil (especially in a handgun), weight (slightly), size and capacity are, to a point, some advantages. You would find 5.56x45 in a self-defense handgun (not including 'pistols' that are really SBRs), and a P90/PS90 with a 50 round mag is more compact than an AR with 50 round mags.

The 5.7x28 is plenty "established", but it is a more niche cartridge and not as widely used - partially because until now there were only one major manufacturer producing two firearms for it. Now there is Ruger, and my hope is that Ruger produces a rifle for the 5.7x28 too. I have a Five Seven and a PS90, but I would like a bolt or lever action 5.7x28 rifle.
Good info, thank you.
I didn't know that it was widely used elsewhere. Who's making all the ammo for the militaries and police that use it? Is there a reason it can't be imported? Does the armor-piercing capability (as pointed out by another member) effect the importation and, more likely, it's legality in certain US jurisdictions?

I could probably Google all of that stuff, but since we're all here...

I'd really like to get my dirty hands on one of those. Owners tell me it's a hoot to shoot but I haven't been able to do that yet.
The RIA convertible 1911 (9mm/22TCM) looks like fun but I'm in a bit of a financial holding pattern at the moment (that's what broke people like to say).
Glad forums don't charge admission...
22TCM is a guaranteed fireball! And a bundle of smiles and joy, too.

What do you 5.7x28mm junkies think about the new Ruger 57? Are you getting one? After some of the reviews, they are stated to be better then the FN!

I will probably get one just to try out - at least.

I have three Five Sevens and PS90s (one for each of my family). At first these were for my daughter, but then I shot them and really liked them. The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea of the 5.7x28, especially as I got older and weight became a consideration. Recoil isn't an issue for me, but it is for my daughter, as is weight (both carrying and shooting) so I settled on these for the three of us (including her husband) so we would all have the same firearms and ammo for GHB/BOBs/etc.

Not that I don't have more powerful self-defense guns - I most certainly do - but I am thinking for home and BOL defense where we would be carrying these around with us, they fill that niche.

If the 57 is better than the Five Seven, then I may get two more - the ammo (and manufacturer) being the only thing that the Five Seven and PS90 share. The Five Seven is 4-5 ounces lighter than the 57 though. OTOH, the 57 has a steel slide that may be more amenable to taking different sighting systems - the sights on some versions of the Five Seven are known to not be very robust.

The last name of the lead design engineer was, "Heinz". :D
I'm still astounded that the marketing department allowed the Compact Ruger American Pistol to get through without changing the name to something less easily compromised as an acronym.
Okay, P2000 was already taken. But they coulda come up with something that doesn't get shortened to CRAP. That's like naming a car Nova and trying to sell it I'm Mexico...

... oh wait. nevermind.

I want a CRAP in .45. I think they look pretty cool.

I would think somebody walking the river fishing, or walking/working the farm. Would be better served by this gun than a .22 magnum auto. [For those desiring a .22 caliber ''varmint'' auto pistol.]

With its centerfire round it could also be trusted as a defense gun.

Still. I would probably just take a .22 mag revolver for the same myself.
Revolvers don't care as much about duds. And .22 mag is cheep.

Good info, thank you.
I didn't know that it was widely used elsewhere. Who's making all the ammo for the militaries and police that use it? Is there a reason it can't be imported? Does the armor-piercing capability (as pointed out by another member) effect the importation and, more likely, it's legality in certain US jurisdictions?

I could probably Google all of that stuff, but since we're all here...

FN and Fiocchi makes the ammo - I think. Federal rebrands the Fiocchi? I would assume FN makes the ammo for military and LEO use. I don't think there is a US legal issue with the ammo - you can get LE and military only ammo online, but some of it is expensive due to scarcity and scalpers. FN has a policy of not selling their military/LE ammo to civilians. There are vids of some of the civilian ammo being capable of piercing some soft armor - the 27 gr LF may pierce some bulletproof glass.

Personally I think the 27 grain lead free is best for the pistol, the 40 gr VMax good for the rifle and the 40 gr FMJ good for practice. The latter two are Federal branded and the 27 gr LF is FN. All of the ammo works well in either gun, but I think the higher velocity 27 gr ammo does better in the much shorter pistol barrel.

There are small custom ammo makers - like Elite - but their ammo is very expensive. Maybe with the Ruger 57 coming on the market there will be a wider selection of ammo?