JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I use a stock 10/22 for speed steel and other recreational activities.

Yesterday I had a Safety Officer make a comment that has me bringing up this question.

I am shooting this right handed.
After a stage, we go thru the Unload and Show Clear drill.
I hold the rifle in my right hand, to keep pointing at a safe point ( ground 10feet in front of me out to a berm )
and use my left hand to reach over and retract the bolt.

This experienced safety offer had trouble seeing the chamber as clear, and noticed on one stage that my final round did not fully extract - the round could have re-seated into the chamber.
His thought was that my left hand usage impaired his view.

These kinds of comments lead to review and that is what I am doing.

I have used this same rifle for the past 18 months or so, and have not had the comment before - perhaps the height of the SO relative to me is a factor? Still, the idea of putting a loaded gun back into a case where we had near a dozen people around is unsettling. I prefer to be far back from the edge of that safety cliff. And I know that I need to find a way that I can also see better - typically trying to show the SO the chamber rather than checking it myself.

So,

What is the best methodology?

TIA

If you know of a video demonstration,
(Getting a different gun is out as a solution.)

I found this on the interwebs - the left hand use on the AR platform works, as the hand is away from the opening
1596473962123.png
( would that muzzle be over the berm? )

Thought experiment ... Locking the bolt back is 2 hand operation, can I easily do that = bolt with left, then lever the lock into place with the right ... I'll try that after work.

There are many ways to accomplish things.

You're right-handed so? Try it this way (with 10/22)......

Holding the rifle in your support hand (left) and dominant hand (right) holding the grip area.
Muzzle pointed 45 degrees downwards, towards the ground and forward towards the targets.
Right hand now moves to activate the mag release.
Magazine drops out. Or manually extract it.
Once the mag is out....the right hand now moves again and pulls back on the charging handle. Hold it back. Then....
Tipp the rifle 90 degrees (ejection port to the sky), giving a clear view/showing an empty chamber to the RO.*

LOL....maybe......reaching over the top with the left hand.....wasn't the usual way that the RO sees people doing it? And YES.......maybe, he couldn't see/didn't have a clear view of the chamber at some point? Whatever.

OK, OK, ok......these NEW "tacticool guys" like to keep their dominant hand on the hand grip. You're right-handed. So......

Right hand on hand grip and left hand as support hand.
Point the muzzle about 45 degrees downwards, keeping it forwards, towards the targets.
Using left hand, drop the magazine. Or manually extract it. Then...
Turn the rifle 90 degrees (ejection port up to the sky).
Reach with the left hand and pull back on the charging handle. Hold it open. Then...
Show the RO that it's clear.*

*IF....the requirement is that the rifle have a "locked back bolt" prior to leaving the line. Then.....once you've shown it clear. Do the necessary moves to get that pesky bolt locked back. Yeah.....10/22s are a PIA.

Aloha, Mark

PS......The RO/safety officer is there to do a job. You either comply or leave. Then....you don't like how he runs the line? Yeah well, I hope that you are doing your part to volunteer at your local matches. Hint, hint....

Last Edited:
LOL....maybe......reaching over the top with the left hand.....wasn't the usual way that the RO sees people doing it? And YES.......maybe, he couldn't see/didn't have a clear view of the chamber at some point? Whatever.

I like to have "one way" less muscle memory so to speak.

Clear a center fire pistol - I'm righty so I use the left to pull back the slide - left has mag in hand - drop the slide and pull the trigger

Clear your AR - I have the typical T bar charging handle, so I hold the grip with right hand and pull the t-bar with my left.

Same basic operation.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try the 90 degree roll.

I didn't get a chance tonight, had a buddy (Army vet tho I don't hold that against him) goto ER for a possible heart attack - tests are underway, he's been admitted.

First off, hope your friend is recovering and it was something minor.

Perhaps I'm missing something. With handguns, we show clear, drop slide and pull trigger (reholster with what I shoot) like you noted. For long guns and shot guns doesn't the range require the bolt to be locked back and/or a chamber flag anyway when you leave the line?

I really appreciate you giving this the attention and thought and sharing with everyone else.

Perhaps I'm missing something. With handguns, we show clear, drop slide and pull trigger (reholster with what I shoot) like you noted. For long guns and shot guns doesn't the range require the bolt to be locked back and/or a chamber flag anyway when you leave the line?

That might be a specific range/event thing.

When I leave the "bench", like when I shoot steel, I typically put the unloaded rifle in a bag - zip up carry one/or plastic box - to keep the trigger protected.

When I am recreationally shooting and will leave the gun on the bench, then I'll put in a flag. Like when I am watching someone else shoot, or it is time to check targets.

I know that some places have rifle racks to hold unloaded guns etc.

My typical 10/22 rifle shooting "dance"

- to the line,
- remove gun from bag
- verify safety (push button)
- check sights / red dot
- load mag into gun
- rack to load chamber
- shoot amazing :D
- using left hand, set safety to ON thumbpress
- left remove mag - lever and pull out mag
** then left rack slide to clear a remaining round and empty gun **
- bag it -- includes zipping or latching

One of my shooting mindsets, it has been for a while - and I know not everyone does this - is to use the same position, and same methods every time.
Some like to optimize. Some have reason to switch like a boxer changing from the right way to southpaw. I believe you should do what works for you.

After work to the bat cave* to practice ...

*aka - garage

ps
I just got a text my buddy does not have COVID-19. No word on the other - heart/clots/stroke???? Active guy, not overweight. I and I know he does too, appreciate the prayers and good thoughts.

Good news so far with your buddy!

Makes complete sense with the casing on the line. Everywhere can be a little different so I see your dilemma. One thing I've noticed in some places I have shot is that we (shooters) can feel a little rushed to get off the line, or some shooters (clearly not implying you at all!!!) are quick to show clear and not really let the RSO's see into the chamber and magwell. I've had shooter show me clear a second time because they did everything so fast that I could not get a good look and be confident that they are unloaded.

I haven't been using my 10/22 in these types of comps but see it coming. You have given me good food for thought; thinking I will lock the bolt back, check with eyes and fingers, then do what the particular range requires. Thanks again for the great OP.

I recently had an RO that used a small flashlight to LOOK into the chamber when showing clear. I liked this idea, as it helps actually look, and see, rather than just glossing over, so I'll probably do it this way when I RO. Complacency is the enemy!

50+ iterations and I think I have a method for me:

When I finish shooting, I will put my trigger finger (right hand) in front of the trigger guard
this allows me to release the mag and then pull the bolt locker.
I will still use left thumb for safety on, before moving the right hand/finger forward.
and to pull the mag,
then left hand over top to open the bolt.

Once open, and locked back, rotate rifle, drop off shoulder. That way myself and then and RO/SO should be able to verify clear.

Then I can do the needful - bag, flag or what-not.

Thanks,

For my buddy - as of noon, they have eliminated heart-related issues and found that the Kidney function is off the charts. I don't know anything about numbers - the doctor said whatever measure is way too high.

Last Edited:
I recently had an RO that used a small flashlight to LOOK into the chamber when showing clear. I liked this idea, as it helps actually look, and see, rather than just glossing over, so I'll probably do it this way when I RO. Complacency is the enemy!

Been an RSO/ Match Director for years in multiple disciplines. I always have a small flashlight in hand and use it when necessary. .22 Semiautos and PCC's pose a particular problem for RSO's. It's a good thing that the RSO recognized the dilemma and discussed it with you. He did the right thing by slowing down the process and made sure the line was safe before proceeding. I've witnessed too many ND's when RSO's loose sight of their job!

After dropping the mag (unload) can you grasp the fore-end with your left hand and brace the rear of the stock against your chest with the firearm pointing at a 45 degree angle downward/downrange. With your right hand retract the slide (show clear). The firearm can the be cased!

RSO's should be operating at the direction of an experienced Match Director and all RSO/RO's should be operating in similar fashion. The Match Director should be operating in accordance with match sponsor (ie. NRA) but the venue (range) makes the final safety rule. The strictest rule prevails!
Example: The sponsoring body may not require "eyes and ears" but the range does!

Shoot more, shoot safe!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads