Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rquest for Info on How To Get Oregon CPL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by X-Beast, Jul 17, 2015.

1. X-Beast

X-Beast Mountlake Terrace New Member

I live in Washington state but I would like to get an Oregon CPL. I understand that the CPL process is a "shall Issue" for out of state residents and it all depends on which Oregon county sheriff is more user friendly towards gun owners. My sister lives in Clackamas county. I was hoping I could go to her house and hang out for a day or so and get my Oregon CPL while I;m there. So I looked up the rules on the Clackamas county sheriff's website and they stated emphatically that they do not give Oregon CPL's to out of state residents. I need to find a gun friendly sheriff in Oregon or someone up here who holds a class and walks everyone thru the process. I have a Utah CPL and I ride my motorcycle on long trips occasionally. I don't like disarming while riding thru Oregon because I feel naked! Thanks in advance to anyone who can jump in and help me with this.

Cheers, X-Beast

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

I would just call and ask.

I know Wallowa county sheriff does it quite regularly. You make an appointment, go apply and get it a couple weeks later.

3. mcfoto

mcfoto Newberg Active Member

Not sure but Yamhill County Seems gun friendly. Worth a call. A drive to McMinneville from your sisters house would be a lot closer than Wollawa.

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Figure out what county, (find one without a wait period), get the application ahead of time and fill it out.

Bring ID, $65, certificate of firearms safety course and get it done.

5. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

Check Columbia County. It is very friendly but as most counties I imagine it has a wait period.

IronMonster likes this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

First things first... in Oregon it's not a "CPL", it's a "CHL". That's the very first question on the test. (just kidding about the test)

7. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I am a Washington resident and have a Oregon CPL (Come on Stomper, I had too)

I applied for mine at the Tacoma Dome gun show. The Columbia County Sheriff had a booth set up, took your picture and accepted your pre filled out application (you have to have the certification part squared away too)

Took less than a month to get it in the mail.

Super painless and the folks who handled it at the gun show (I assume all members of the Sheriff's department) where very nice and helpful

My understanding is they plan on continuing to come up to Seattle area shows to accept applications. You might check and see if they are coming to the WAC show that is coming up.

8. X-Beast

X-Beast Mountlake Terrace New Member

Kudos to everyone who chimed in. I'll check the local gun shows and see if someone has a booth set up to get an Oregon CHL.