JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
loose the 7x57, the 270 and the 300 nothing the 30-06 wont do that they do.

When I looked, it was torpedoman's 666th post. :D

I'm a big 30-06 fan. Nothing around here really needs anything else and if you practice and learn your gun, you can shoot waaaayyyyyy out there with one. Just look at the Vietnam snipers. (not saying I'm capable of that stuff)

Now want and need are totally different things. I think trying to fill every niche is BS, but a good reason to experiment.:s0155:

I just bought a .270 cuz I kinda always wanted one. I've got a .375 Ruger because I wanted something capable of BIG bears and stuff (Alaska someday?). It's trajectory with a 270 gr bullet mimics the 06 with a 180. That makes it easy, huh? I have a Savage Super Sporter 30-30 because it's old and cool.

For deer, bear or elk hunting in Western Oregon I'm not likely to have a real long shot. Any of these will be fine for that. For Elk hunting in Eastern Oregon, I'll leave the 30-30 at home only because it's an iron sighted gun and I may have to stretch the shot a bit farther than I'm comfortable with irons, but the rest of them will do just fine.
With all of that said, there's one gun I usually hunt with. It's all I "need".
In other words, don't try to rationalize your "collection" too much. Enjoy 'em all! Maybe even buy some more and try to fill all of the little niches you can think of.

Well, here's an update. I am down to these rifles:

Ruger M77/22 in 22LR

Remington 870 in 12GA (set up for home defense, not hunting)

Remington M700 XCR in 7mm-08

BRNO VZ24 in 8mm Mauser (Dad gave it to me as a donor action for a custom 7x57)

Springfield M-1A in 7.62x51/308 (I've had this all along, just didn't mention it as its not a hunter)

I've never had a good experience with consolidating. I did it with my car collection once and sold a couple 1911's when I was in my early 20's.

If your hurting for money then do what you have to do to keep yourself feed, but other than that just hold on to them and add more.

You'll need the extra's for your kids or nieces/nephews (I used the kid excuse for years as a way to have 2 of some calibers). Now when it's time for him to hunt I'll just get him his own rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top