JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now, I'm looking like this:

M77/22 22LR
M77 Hawkeye Standard 223 Rem
M700 Classic 257 Roberts
No. 1A 7x57
M70 Sporter 270 Win
M70 Sporter 30-06 Sprg

I want to get down to this:

M77/22 22LR
M70 Compact/Featherweight 243 Win
M70 Sporter 270 Win
M70 Sporter 338 Win

Well that would leave you with enough to easily kill any game in Oregon Dan. The .243 could back-up the .270 for deer, and the .270 w/140ABs or 150s can back up the .338 for elk and/or bear.
But man, that #1A in 7x57 would be a tough one to part with for me.
I'm glad it's not a decision I have to make.

And I still think you should re-barrel that '06 to .338-06AI.
200Gr Nosler CTST @2850fps no prob. 210 Partitions @ 2800fps
Shilen .338 blank:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...ng=649***20765***8423***10722***&brandId=1554

Shilen Match Grade Barrel Blank 338 Caliber Centerfire #3 Contour 1 in 10" Twist 26" Chrome Moly in the White
Product #: 368362
4.5 stars
$158.99

338-06AI reamer rental:
http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=217
3 day rental with headspace gauges + $41.00

Total cost less than $200 + freight and 'smith fees.

Muwhahahahahaha

I can't think of a single thing I can't get done very well with a .22lr, an AR-15 and an AR-10. (Not counting shotguns and pistols.) Make that at least two of each in the same make and model for backup, loaners and even a shtf parts guns.

$.02

If your AR-10s are in say 300 WSM and then 375 WSM or 416 WSM, you might pull it off--though you'd probably be wishing you had more power on large dangerous game.

If your AR-10s are in say 300 WSM and then 375 WSM or 416 WSM, you might pull it off--though you'd probably be wishing you had more power on large dangerous game.

There's nothing in Oregon or Washington you can't kill with an accurate .308, especially a semi-auto.

If I were heading into the woods and thought there was any chance of seeing a grizzly, I'd pack my fully rifled 12 ga with Remington Accutip bonded sabot slugs. That's the nastiest common round I know of up to 200 yards, bar none.

Anyone who thinks he needs a bigger gun than a .308 for Pacific NW game can just go ahead and use it.

No limitation was given as to location, so Alaskan and African DG are in the mix. The .308 has never been and never will be a reliable DG round. That isn't a slam on the .308, it was designed for entirely different purpose. The .308 works well
enough for elk, but with so many superior hunting rounds available I
can see no reason to use a .308 unless it's all a guy has or the only thing he can shoot well.

A saboted 12 gauge also has never been and never will
be a DG round. It is significantly less powerful than the usual 375s, 416s, 458s, 470s, 500s, etc.

But for PNW game, I agree a .308--assuming the right bullets are used--is a good enough hunting round.

How well does an AR-10 cycle hunting ammo loaded with 165-180 grain bullets?

No limitation was given as to location, so Alaskan and African DG are in the mix. The .308 has never been and never will be a reliable DG round. That isn't a slam on the .308, it was designed for entirely different purpose. The .308 works well
enough for elk, but with so many superior hunting rounds available I
can see no reason to use a .308 unless it's all a guy has or the only thing he can shoot well.

A saboted 12 gauge also has never been and never will
be a DG round. It is significantly less powerful than the usual 375s, 416s, 458s, 470s, 500s, etc.

But for PNW game, I agree a .308--assuming the right bullets are used--is ahold enough hunting round.

How well does an AR-10 cycle hunting ammo loaded with 165-180 grain bullets?

The OP asked:

"SO, instead of having all of these rifles and having a niche for each one, why don't I get rid of all but the ones that aren't completely redundant? Why not just keep the 22LR and 223 Rem for practice and their unique purposes and pick one, maybe two of the other rifles and get rid of the other two? This way, I have cheap practice and a good hunting rifle and a back-up. I could take the time I saved on reloading and tweaking each rifle and go out into the woods and become a better HUNTER. What do you guys think?"

I answered him. .22lr, AR-10, AR-15 is all I need. That's not all I have, but it's all I need.

Well that would leave you with enough to easily kill any game in Oregon Dan. The .243 could back-up the .270 for deer, and the .270 w/140ABs or 150s can back up the .338 for elk and/or bear.
But man, that #1A in 7x57 would be a tough one to part with for me.
I'm glad it's not a decision I have to make.

And I still think you should re-barrel that '06 to .338-06AI.
200Gr Nosler CTST @2850fps no prob. 210 Partitions @ 2800fps
Shilen .338 blank:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...ng=649***20765***8423***10722***&brandId=1554

Shilen Match Grade Barrel Blank 338 Caliber Centerfire #3 Contour 1 in 10" Twist 26" Chrome Moly in the White
Product #: 368362
4.5 stars
$158.99

338-06AI reamer rental:
http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=217
3 day rental with headspace gauges + $41.00

Total cost less than $200 + freight and 'smith fees.

Muwhahahahahaha

I'm sold on that one!

The OP asked:

"SO, instead of having all of these rifles and having a niche for each one, why don't I get rid of all but the ones that aren't completely redundant? Why not just keep the 22LR and 223 Rem for practice and their unique purposes and pick one, maybe two of the other rifles and get rid of the other two? This way, I have cheap practice and a good hunting rifle and a back-up. I could take the time I saved on reloading and tweaking each rifle and go out into the woods and become a better HUNTER. What do you guys think?"

I answered him. .22lr, AR-10, AR-15 is all I need. That's not all I have, but it's all I need.

And like I said, if you use the right bullets and are hunting everything except large dangerous game I don't have any real disagreement--not that my agreement or disagreement really means much. I do have a different preference, but that is what makes this kind of thread interesting.

deermunchies.gif
I thinks a good bolt gun in 30-06 or 308 is hard to beat for readily available ammunition and proven field performance.
I'd consider starting with one of those and build up from there.

I don't think that a rifle for each niche is necessary. My first centerfire rifle was a 300 WM. I could have quit buying rifles after that and been covered for anything in North America. A 30-06 would have filled the same purpose. I've bought more rifles since then that I hunt with depending on where I'm going and what I'm hunting, but I didn't need these rifles. I bought these other rifles because I like guns, and I like variety.

I think that part of me justifies new rifle purchases by telling myself that I'll be filling some unfilled niche.

I only have three hunting rifles so far, an old 30-30 lever, a 300 bolt, and 375 H&H bolt action, but I've already got plans for my next few rifle purchases. In the next couple months I'm hoping to buy a 6.5 Swede which will give me a light, medium, and a heavy. After that I've got plans for a bigger lever action that's more eld-suitable, followed by some form of 416 as a true big-bore.

On the shotgun side, I've got an O/U 20 guage as my go-to bird gun as well as a synthetic 12 guage pump with 28" barrel. I bought the 12 for big-game hunting with slugs, and also in case I ever go turkey or duck hunting. I've also got plans for a sxs 12 guage, simply because I don't have one yet.

Do I need all of these guns? Probably not, but I like rifles and shotguns. I don't see much point in having multiple rifles in the same caliber, so I find different niches to fill.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I guess my point is that some people simply like rifles and are going to continue buying them whether they have a true need for them or not. Some people simply see rifles as tools used for hunting. I know people who own one hunting rifle and have no desire for more, but I also know a guy who owns dozens of high-end rifles. He's gotten to the point with his collection that he no longer owns a rifle that he's willing to carry in the rain. Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

Since the op mentioned "to be a better hunter"... IMHO, all someone needs for a great hunting combo:

* a good .22lr... accurate, iron sights or scope, doesn't matter
* a good brush/woods gun, iron sights, or low power fixed scope(4x)
* a good shotgun

If you hunt in a really open area, then maybe add a good long range bolt action rifle for when those shots typically are going to be greater than 200 yards. Most of my hunting has been under 150 yards, with most under 75 yards. Critters shot with the .22 being mostly under 40 yards. And then practice practice practice, until it becomes like a natural extension of you... not behind a bench, but out in the field. A gold standard is being able to place all your shots in a paper plate for deer-like game. Empty shotgun hulls are a good practice target for .22lr.

I would use my "SHTF hunting rifle" as my primary hunting rifle. I chose the .30-06 for a couple of reasons; 1. It takes down what I need it to in OR, 2. Ammo and brass are readily available, 3. You can load it down or up to your needs, 4. Everybody in the "hunting and gardening club" I belong in have adopted it.

I like the OP's collection, I wouldn't downsize it. I don't see the 6.5 Grendel, .50 BMG nor the 105mm niche filled. What's up with that?

SF-

I'm still working on consolidating calibers to help stockpile ammo.

Rifles:

.308 Bolt (Will also shoot 7.62 NATO)
.308 AR-10 (Will also shoot 7.62 NATO)
Ar-15 5.56 NATO - will also shoot .223 but I don't own any.
.22lr

Handguns:

Glock 23 .40
Glock 19 9mm NATO
PF-9 9mm NATO
Ruger .22lr's

Note that I have the NATO covered in case I can pick up some ammo if the SHTF.

Shotguns:

Basic modified choke 12 ga pump hunting gun
Winchester Defender 12 ga
Remington 1100 12 ga, 22" barrel, rifle sights and smooth bore.
Winchester 1300 12 ga, 22" rifled barrel, rifle sights for slugs including sabot slugs.

This selection is very easy to stockpile ammo for without having a million calibers.

Right now, I'm looking like this:

M77/22 22LR
M77 Hawkeye Standard 223 Rem
M700 Classic 257 Roberts
No. 1A 7x57
M70 Sporter 270 Win
M70 Sporter 30-06 Sprg

I want to get down to this:

M77/22 22LR
M70 Compact/Featherweight 243 Win
M70 Sporter 270 Win
M70 Sporter 338 Win

No, no, no.

You don't have ANY metric calibers. You might need them. 6.5x55, 9.3x62, etc. It is unamerican to not own a 30-06. Where's the .375? No semi-autos? Then, we have to move into the Sharps 1874, possibly a 1885 for some long range BPCR events. A couple of Perazzi shotguns for clays, maybe an AR or two? And no .50 Cal?

And what about that awful gap between the .22lr and the .243?

I recommend counseling.

I am lucky enough to have three sons, although none of them are of hunting age I have been able to convince my wife that eventually I will need all of the guns that I just can't resist buying. This has been my way of masking my addiction, and that is exactly what it is.

What about your shotguns?

Pistol grip, 18" barrel home defender 12ga.
20" barrel slug gun, rifle sights, 12ga.
26" barrel duck gun 12ga.

Gotta have all 3.

No, no, no.

You don't have ANY metric calibers. You might need them. 6.5x55, 9.3x62, etc. It is unamerican to not own a 30-06. Where's the .375? No semi-autos? Then, we have to move into the Sharps 1874, possibly a 1885 for some long range BPCR events. A couple of Perazzi shotguns for clays, maybe an AR or two? And no .50 Cal?

And what about that awful gap between the .22lr and the .243?

I recommend counseling.

You give the same type of advice I do. Consolidate? You have substantial gaps that need to be addressed. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top