JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have:
.22lr for critters/range fun
.223 for small game
30.06 for everything else

I keep stocked up on several thousand rounds of .22lr, maybe a couple hundred .223 and only 40+ of 30.06, I really only buy 30.06 when there is a good sale or something because they have always been easy to find when needed.

I have, what I feel to be a healthy collection.
I spend a fair amount of time at the range & out in the woods.

When I go in the woods I have, 1 side arm, 1 rim fire rifle, 1 center fire rifle & sometimes a shot gun.
When my Brother goes with me, you can expect to see 2 of each of those in the truck. (He too has a healthy collection)
Both my Brother & I rotate fire arms all the time.
I do have favorites, but very few of my guns are what you might call "neglected"
what we take with us on any given day completely depends on the mood.

My personal belief is, one can not have to many guns.

I started this thread to help me be okay with getting rid of guns, now I just want more! That 338-06 idea has got me really intrigued. That would make a great elk rifle in the timber! Maybe load it with 210gr Nosler Partitions.....

I started this thread to help me be okay with getting rid of guns, now I just want more!

Starting a thread on a gun board to get get rid of guns is like going to a crack house for rehab. Your collection seems ok to me though. I get by w/ only .22lr, .223 and 30-06. As long as you have time to get to the range often enough to know each of your guns, keep them. If you find yourself never shooting one of your guns than maybe you could sell it, but you may regret that.

Hey, nothing wrong with collecting. But I had a similar collection and I dumped a few of them. I kept the .300 WM and 7x57 and dumped the '06 and .280. I'll pick up something in the realm of a 9.3x62 in case I ever get to go to Alaska. As far as big game is concerned I figure a small and flat shooter and a big and slow shooter pretty well covers it all. Add the .300WM as a back up rifle in case either of those two go down, and there's nothing else you could ask for.

Yeah, I just can't find anywhere that I like for any period of time. This place seems more local and not as full of people with lots of hot air.

How are you liking the CDS? I have a VX3 on my M70 in 270 and have contemplated the CDS but I'm not sure I shoot far enough for it.

Dan,

I just found this site and it looks promising.

I like my rifles and while I could get by with just a couple, or one, I certainly don't want to!

My hunting rifles include:

- Rem 541 T-HB 22 LR
- Pre 64 M70 Fwt 270 for deer
- Pre 64 M70 Fwt 30-06 for black bear, backup deer and elk, loaner
- M70 SS Classic/Edge 300 WSM for bad weather deer, elk, bear
- Pre 64 M70 300 Ack for long range stuff
- Pre 64 M70/Pacific Research 338 Win for elk
- M70 SS Classic 416 Rem for big stuff

Sounds like you need them for your wife,kids,etc. You need something for everyone. Almost forgot one for every season. Bear,cougar,snipe,bigfoot? Who knows. :D

I can't think of a single thing I can't get done very well with a .22lr, an AR-15 and an AR-10. (Not counting shotguns and pistols.) Make that at least two of each in the same make and model for backup, loaners and even a shtf parts guns.

Now about my thread on consolidating calibers, just putting in another 2k rounds of xm193 and reloading another 1k rounds of the same but in soft point bullets...

$.02

I think you oughtta consider getting something like a 600 nitro express. Not that you'd ever want to hunt cape buffalo or elephant, but to have, just in case. Having a bunch of guns is part of the fun of owning guns.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top