JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently did an inventory of my hunting rifles, just because I like to think about them. I typed in each make and model, chambering and my perceived "niche" for each rifle.

Ruger 77/22 22LR: Small Game
Ruger M77 Hawkeye 223 REM: Walking Varminter/Predators
Ruger No. 1A 7x57: Close to Mid-Range Big Game
Winchester M70 270: Open Country Deer
Winchester M70 30-06: Mid-Range Elk, Backup for 270 and 300
Remington M700 300 WM: All-Weather Do-it-all

Whenever I talk with my Dad about the merits of each rifle and their niches, he usually rolls his eyes or shakes his head.

At that point, I really started to think about it. When my hunts go wrong, its because I didn't scout enough or I didn't pay attention to the wind or I just wasn't in as good of shape as I could have been. Its never been my rifle's fault.

Also, in situations where I have missed, it wasn't because my rifle didn't shoot flat enough or didn't hit hard enough. I haven't even missed close enough to think that "If my rifle was sub-MOA, I would have made that shot". I once missed a shot at a buck standing broadside at 400 yards in a flat open field because I didn't think about the "gentle" crosswind. That bullet blew 12 inches with the wind and went right past the buck's chest and into a berm.

SO, instead of having all of these rifles and having a niche for each one, why don't I get rid of all but the ones that aren't completely redundant? Why not just keep the 22LR and 223 Rem for practice and their unique purposes and pick one, maybe two of the other rifles and get rid of the other two? This way, I have cheap practice and a good hunting rifle and a back-up. I could take the time I saved on reloading and tweaking each rifle and go out into the woods and become a better HUNTER. What do you guys think?

I think unless you have an overwhelming financial reason to get rid of them, just stay happy with them. I am consolidating at the moment, but still keeping several niche rifles...

It doesn't stop with "THE NICHE"
I thought you had to have at least one gun per niche per person in the house and at least one more as a loner for a friend.:D

You may be over-thinking your rationalization, but if you like having those guns around then who cares?

Trying to rationalize your collection to someone who is not an enthusiast or a collector is a waste of breath in my opinion. I don't even bother because ultimately, there is no real way to rationalize everything I own. Just enjoy your guns the way you like to enjoy them :)

I recently did an inventory of my hunting rifles ......

Ruger 77/22 22LR: Small Game
Ruger M77 Hawkeye 223 REM: Walking Varminter/Predators
Ruger No. 1A 7x57: Close to Mid-Range Big Game
Winchester M70 270: Open Country Deer
Winchester M70 30-06: Mid-Range Elk, Backup for 270 and 300
Remington M700 300 WM: All-Weather Do-it-all

. What do you guys think?

Hmmm, I'm noticing an empty Zombie Apocalypse niche.......

Unless you are in need of the money , I would say don't do it. You have a nice collection of some classic hunting rifles going.Do you want to be one of those guys who say "I had one of those, but like a idiot I sold/traded it off"? As stated before pick one as your" go to"rifle get to know it well and save the others for fun and back up. Andy

Looks like a pretty good cross section of the market to me.

The only one I might change would be the '06. The 300WM and the .270Win on either side of it do things better than the '06 does.

I'd rebarrel it to 338-06. Then you have a short/mid-range thumper. Inside of 300 yds it's a tough round to beat. They're ideal for west side/coastal elk.
The bullet selection in .338 is great too!

If they all work for you keep them all! There is some merit in dumping the 30-06 with the .270 and .300 on either side but the '06 is such a staple....

That 77/22 is an awesome rifle. I took mine out for the first time this year (been shooting it since 1993 on varmints) and it is such a teaching tool. Gray digger hunting is excellent practice for big game as you get the stalking/field craft combined with lots of lots of field positions and really small targets.

I need to clarify, the guns I listed are just my "Hunting" rifles. SHTF rifles are a whole nother story. I got some of them too :)

I think the 30-06 to 338-06 is an intriguing idea.....

i would keep the 22 the 223 and the 7x57 , 7x57 has killed every animal in africa including elephants flat shooter low recoil whats not to like , shot placement is everything :)

The 7x57 is a great cartridge that never gets enough credit. Especially when you consider the Ruger No1 platform, that's a rifle I would never part with. I might Ackley it though!:woot:

As others have said unless you are in financial distress don't sell em. Personally I only have 3 guns to fill my niches, Marlin model 60 .22LR for small game, Stevens 200 .30-06 for big game, and Beretta FS92 9mm for home/self defense. If my budget allowed for it though my collection would probably be pretty similar to yours. In my opinion if you can afford it there is no harm in having a good sized gun collection for any reason even if it's just cause you like variety. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top