JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a door nail. 6 guys out daily seeing very little sign and no elk seen. Talked with some of the other 64 tag holders and the same. Lots of deer sign, no elk, no bear, no cat, no wolf and very little coyote. I was up there late last summer and no sign. Hunted north side of road 27. Second season starts in a week or so.

You would think the PNW would have herds of elk and deer, But it's getting really slim on accessible public land.
your better off getting in crazy gazelle shape and hiking deep deep in the woods.

That's too bad. The Ochoco's used to have a lot of elk. I remember almost getting ran over by some when I was deer hunting one year. I've been hearing their numbers are down there. May want to put in for a different unit? Just not mine!! There are far too many hunters out there where I hunt. Way overcrowded!! On opening day, I dropped my buddy off at a spot and he said he counted 37 trucks pass by him, while he waited for it to get day light. I was at the local small hardware store near where I hunt today and the clerk asked if I got one and the guys in there said they haven't heard of anyone else getting one.. Then later, a guy came in with a spike in the back of his pickup. When I hunted second season general rocky mountain elk, the success rate in my unit was only 4%, but I generally managed to shoot one.. This year was no exception...
vWW1y77.jpg

If the elk are there, you have to go in after them... It's always a learning experience though and something I look forward to every year. Good luck to all you hunters out there. Get a good one!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top