JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, I am kicking around the idea of selling my m-1 Garand and have a few questions. I haven't sold any of my collection on the open/private market before and am hoping that some of you knowledgeable folks out there may have some advise for me. How much do I ask for? I know what I paid (to much) but how much to ask? Any legal issues I should know about? Also on a side note I'm looking for a set of low profile, 30mm picatinny rail rings for my Aim Point scope. Any one know of a good place to pick these up. Cant seem to find any at the shops.
Thanks a bunch

I haven't watched M1 prices nor do I know anything about yours so I won't even try to suggest a price. I do suggest photos (they almost always help a sale and nobody can complain that what they met up with you to buy isn't what you advertised). Be as descriptive as possible and list any imperfections that you know of and/or specify any extras/accessories that are included or can be purchased with a sale. Decide if you will ship to a licensed dealer in another state and how much extra you might want for that. Also make sure to note that the buyer must find a dealer that will allow you to ship it directly to them (some dealers will only accept shipments from other dealers) or find out how much your favorite local dealer might want to log and ship it to another dealer. If you want the buyer to meet you at a location near you or if you will meet up a certain distance from your area it is always good to specify that in the ad. You can post in the ad that you might consider trades or partial trades but a lot of people on this site ignore that and will likely send you trade offers even if you don't want them (or they'll offer things you did not specify that you did want to trade for).

When the buyer shows up to make the deal make sure you don't have any reason to believe they are not eligible to own a firearm, let them see the rifle, take the cash if the deal is finalized, go home. The only legal requirement is that you cannot sell to someone that you believe is not legally eligible to own a firearm. If you do decide that you require more, such as a signed bill of sale, state it in the ad. It's rude to require it and just spring it on someone after they have gone through the trouble of meeting you somewhere. Many people will not bother with these items for sale because there is no legal requirement for you to ask for it and there is no reason they should automatically trust you with their personal information.

I personally usually state in the ad that I might like to see a driver's license, CHL, or ID card to verify Oregon residency but I don't even bother asking half the time as long as the person shows up in a vehicle with Oregon plates.

Most Garands were rebuilt many times. If yours is an original WW 2 rifle in could be worth several thousand $$$$. Condition is everything. Throat erosion gauge
and muzzle wear gauge are important for assessing condition. Barrel date and manufacture match the serial number range of the rifle receiver?

Try posting the price that you paid for it. If it's too high a price, then you will hear about it rather quickly.
If it's priced too low, then you will get the same reaction.

Picture are important
And if your gun is in or above the $1000 range and you don't have pics?
Please.......go buy a camera cause I definitely want to see detailed pictures before I waste any time on this expensive gun.

spend some time on the search engine of your choice. You will find a world of information about your gun, then take notes. Then search "m1 grand for sale" this will send you to many of the gun auction websites then see what each are selling for, not what is being asked for them. But from my experiance the M1 has MANY variables that play into its value, thus the importance of research. Good luck.

Don't post anything for sale on this site. Just use it for information. People on here will crapp on your add if they don't like it, but if you were to sell it on armslist or gunbroker they don't have the option of thread crapping. I sell exclusively on those two sites and have had great experiences with both.

To answer your scope rings question, I prefer Warne scope mounts.
You can purchase them at their factory in Tualatin.
Great folks to deal with and the prices are a little lower buying directly from them.

Warne Scope Mounts
9500 SW Tualatin Road
Tualatin, OR 97062
1-800-683-5590
503-657-5590
Fax: 503-657-5695

To answer your scope rings question, I prefer Warne scope mounts.
You can purchase them at their factory in Tualatin.
Great folks to deal with and the prices are a little lower buying directly from them.

Warne Scope Mounts
9500 SW Tualatin Road
Tualatin, OR 97062
1-800-683-5590
503-657-5590
Fax: 503-657-5695

I did not know this, but will take advantage in the future. :s0155:

Thank you all for the great advise! My Garand is a Korean era. I paid an extra premium for it as its not CMP or lend lease. Im going to take it in to Allison Carey gun works to get graded if I sell it.

Don't post anything for sale on this site. Just use it for information. People on here will crapp on your add if they don't like it, but if you were to sell it on armslist or gunbroker they don't have the option of thread crapping. I sell exclusively on those two sites and have had great experiences with both.

That's interesting, I haven't noticed that before? There are rules on this forum directly pertaining to that and as gentle men we shouldn't even need those rules. I do though kinda wish there was a dislike feature, that would get the point across as to the reception that should be expected if pricing something at ridiculous levels.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top