JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I might pass this along, this is the email I got back after writing her with my support of the 2nd. Not excited about the Magazine ban support, I will have to write her back.

ElkFish

Thank you for contacting me about guns and how we can prevent gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

The tragic shootings in a Connecticut elementary school, the Clackamas Town Center, and a theater in Colorado are the latest in a long list of senseless mass shootings that occur too often in our country. These examples, and others like them, show that we must do more to prevent gun violence.

Our priority should be to find ways to keep guns out of the hands of people who use them to kill or injure innocent victims. One of the first steps we should take is to pass federal legislation to require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows, a law that Oregon already has on the books. Cracking down on gun trafficking and illegal sales would keep more guns out of the wrong hands. I also support a ban on large capacity magazines like those used in the Colorado theater shooting.

Importantly, we must also address the mental health aspects of violent crime. Critical components of reducing violence include identifying and treating people with mental illness and offering education and resources to their families, teachers, and communities. We need a community effort to destigmatize those who seek treatment for mental illness, and policymakers must work to break down barriers to access these services.

I support the Second Amendment rights of individuals to own firearms for recreation and protection, but with every right comes a corresponding responsibility not to abuse or exploit that freedom to the detriment of others.

Thank you again for writing to me, and please know that I will keep your input in mind as Congress considers proposals to prevent gun violence.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Bonamici
Member of Congress

Bonamici is Ginny Burdicks heir apparent. Last year she was in favor of a bill to require manual safeties and magazine safeties
on all guns sold--even USED ones.

Looks like she hasn't updated her form-file response since Newtown.

I support the Second Amendment rights of individuals to own firearms for recreation and protection, but with every right comes a corresponding responsibility not to abuse or exploit that freedom to the detriment of others.

Correct. However, "responsibility" is not the same thing as legal constraint. This lady and her ilk would like to use the law to constrain firearms owner's rights. She believes that the government can force us to be "responsible," and on her terms. Meanwhile, criminals will continue to act irresponsibly and ignore the law.

responsibility not to abuse or exploit that freedom to the detriment of others.

So...pass more laws that do nothing but make it harder (a detriment) for those practicing those freedoms? Me thinks someone doesn't know what freedom and rights really means. By murdering people and using a gun as your tool of destruction, you aren't exploiting a freedom, you're breaking already existing laws! More laws won't matter to law-breakers. And, more restrictive gun laws are a detriment to the freedoms of others.

I figured it was a "caned" Message. I am making a habit of emailing my Rep's both State and Federal at least every week to week and a half now. I either use one of the Canned mass emails that folks like Hornady and Remington have availible at their web sites or, like for this recent state committee, a more personal message. They just need to know we are gun owners and we vote. Stick with facts you can back up and speak clearly. They need to know we have long memories and are now more motivated than ever. 1994 should be remembered by every anti gun Rep. It will take more than just the NRA to fight this fight. Stay involved and get others involved.

ElkFish.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads