JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Setting aside this reporter's personal slant on gun control / ownership, this hardly seems out of the ordinary for a person with no experience handling firearms. I think its unfortunate that some people here are so quick to name-call this dude for describing what he felt after shooting a high-powered rifle for the first time.
The thing is, I don't think you can decouple the two in this instance. If this was a small child who didn't have the vocabulary or experience to explain what they were feeling or to mentally prepare themselves, that would be one thing. Here however, we have a fully grown adult comparing a single cartridge of .223 to the planetary impact of an asteroid. This person is supposed to be a journalist, someone who is supposed to have a breadth of experience and perspective, along with the ability to communicate that in a dispassionate and unbiased manner. Here they are clearly editorializing and using subjective emotions outside fact to push an agenda and its apparent in every word they chose. He could have said the business "will attract patrons from the northeastern region," but instead he said "gun enthusiasts from around the region will soon be descending on Waterbury." He could have said that visitors and customers of the range ebb and flow, but instead he wrote "The visitors — and the volleys of gunfire — seemed to come in waves." He described a Ruger Precision Rifle as a "long-range military sniper rifle." Hell, he even titled the article "Shots Fired." He dragged out all the anti-gun boogey-men too: guns make the house less safe, that oooooh scary he could have had a gun TODAY, that guns are so easy to use and amazingly lethal while simultaneously not being able to hit anything, focusing on the ages of the young recipients to implicitly characterize young shooters as abnormal, etc.

I don't think anyone here is making fun of the author for being a new shooter, they're making fun of him for being a patently biased sellout, and for emasculating himself in order to kowtow to his political agenda.

Journalists they are supposed to offer objective informative perspectives on subjects, and this ain't that. It's a hit piece, pure and simple. There are loads of unbiased articles about first time shooting experiences but those don't sell outrage clicks to get to your ad-revenue quotas. And on that note I recommend anyone wanting to read that article to do it via archive.org, don't feed the trolls with your clicks.

.I'm not sure what scared me more — the power of that weapon or the fact that I could have taken one home that day.
LMAO!!

BC1A8333-37F9-437F-BF98-B154BBA0CB13.jpeg

If this guy was forced to hunt for his own food or starve to death, he would starve to death.

He'd probably even ask the animal to eat him.

Last Edited:
I guess the only positive thing about this was at least he tried on a pair of balls for an hour, something most soy-boys of his ilk have never done.

I does crack me up a bit about the reported power of the .223 these days. It used to be an under powered varmint caliber. Now it's the next best (worst?) thing to a nuke.

I will say though, shooting any rifle indoors with a muzzle brake does make for an ear-popping experience. The rangemaster should have been more cognizant of his weapon selection, assuming he was advising.

I am thinking he is NOT going to be joining the ranks of the 'new' gun owners.

Really though what 'man' (regardless of political beliefs) would even talk like this publicly ? I mean he HAD to know he would be ridiculed.

I had to check twice. Is Kevin made of the exact same stuff this guy was made of? From 3ish years ago :s0064:
Was that actual video of the aptly named Gersh Kuntzman firing an AR-15? Who could forget this gem?

And its follow up:

The recoil bruised my shoulder, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.
Man what a drama QUEEN!

I'll bet he drafted this even BEFORE shooting it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews