JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

"It is difficult to describe the impact — physical and personal — of that first shot. It felt like a meteor had struck the earth in front of me," Kevin McCallum, a political reporter for Seven Days, wrote unashamedly.

To experience the offerings of this temple to the Second Amendment, I paid for a lane for an hour ($18). I rented a Ruger 9mm pistol and a high-powered, semiautomatic AR-15-style rifle made by a company called Heckler & Koch ($35 each). (Parro and his staff reject the term "assault rifle" as inflammatory and imprecise and, in all cases, prefer the term "firearm" to "weapon.") I also picked up 100 rounds of ammo ($25 for 50 pistol rounds and $59 for 50 rifle rounds) and chose the standard six-bullseye target ($1.99) over the zombie or the gun-wielding bad guy daring me to shoot him in various highlighted organs.

While the pistol was manageable, even comfortable to hold and fire, the rifle was a different beast altogether. Everything about it — its weight, tactical scope and overall lethality — was downright intimidating.

The fact that the first magazine refused to click into place didn't help either, further unnerving me. What if I just broke a $3,500 rifle? A fresh magazine worked just fine, though, and after loading it, I sent the target out to 15 yards.

When ready, I lined up the target in the cross hairs, pulled the stock onto my shoulder, squeezed the trigger and — BA-BOOM!!!!!

I'm not sure what scared me more — the power of that weapon or the fact that I could have taken one home that day.

Poor wittow baby....

FBFCD18D-0286-4BCC-9ADD-33CC6328539C.jpeg

I bet that "reporters" hands are baby soft and would crumble with even the slightest firm handshake. What an absolute wuss.
The cherry on top.. he was scared of his 2A rights and the ability to buy an AR...wow.

Setting aside this reporter's personal slant on gun control / ownership, this hardly seems out of the ordinary for a person with no experience handling firearms. I think its unfortunate that some people here are so quick to name-call this dude for describing what he felt after shooting a high-powered rifle for the first time.

I instructed a lot of new shooters during my military days, and as I recall a lot of them had similar reactions, to both pistols and rifles.

Interesting point of view....

Especially as the reporter points out that owners dislike the term "Assault Rifle" or "Weapon"...and that they prefer the term "firearm"...yet the reporter still used the term weapon.

Too bad the reporter , didn't understand that the rifle he shot was just a rifle , like millions of others out there...
All being owned and shot...all without harming or the intent of harming another person.
Andy

Gersh Kuntzman redux.

Can't imagine why this cat would even want to go down this road after the well-deserved (and hilarious) rhetorical azz-whoopin Kuntzman got.

Apart from the last couple of paragraphs where the writer went all Karen and let his inner wussy out, the story seemed to be pretty informative as to the details of the new store/range, the owner, etc. It sounds like a cool place. It's very doubtful that I'll ever find myself in Waterbury, VT... but if l do, I'll be bypassing commie Ben &Jerry's outfit and paying this place a visit.

Pretty pathetic reporting, to not bother digging even slightly deeper.

I cringe every time I hear someone talk about the "high powered" AR15. A few decades ago it was criticized as an "underpowered mouse gun".

I've had discussions with ignorant anti-gunners over the years, and it always blows them out of the water when you tell them that the 5.56/.223 round is not legal for hunting in some states, because it's not big enough!

Anyone who complains about the Awesome Power of the AR15 needs to go fire a couple rounds through Great-Grandpa's 30-06, or maybe even an old flintlock or something.

The Babylon Bee did a follow up story on the reporters sorid experience and its worth reading....if you like to laugh. :s0140:

That reporter is probably just lashing-out because he was ...uhhh.... well.... "triggered" because...
......the 9 yr old girl in the next lane, shooting her 12g, called him a, "sniveling, panty-waisted, poo-poo headed, pajama-boy!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top