JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If those cholos were within 21 ft with a blade out they would have met the coroner.

I wonder cause I am no a lawyer ( but I stayed a t holiday in express last night;) ).
How far away does a armed attacker or attackers with a knife, bat etc, or unarmed have to be before the threat can / could be eliminated by a firearm ?

I think that if the attacker / threat is not armed with a gun or unarmed , if the defender shoots the attacker , no matter what the distance , the defender will have a very tough time , proving to those who weren't there , that his response was justified.
( Sorry for the long run on sentence... LOL)
Tougher than say if the attacker was armed with a gun.
A motivated attacker is just as deadly armed or not. Might just be a "harder sell" in court.
I do think you pose an interesting question DuneHopper.
Andy

I wonder cause I am no a lawyer ( but I stayed a t holiday in express last night;) ).
How far away does a armed attacker or attackers with a knife, bat etc, or unarmed have to be before the threat can / could be eliminated by a firearm ?

Well that's kind of a grey area and depends on a variety of factors. Are they aggressive, threatening and coming toward you? Or are they just shouting and moving away? Are you in the kind of shape that you could easily outrun the threat? Or are you unlikely to be able to get away?

The only real question is this - are you in fear for your life??

I do think that after a shooting you will be judged by everyone.
And if it goes to court your "12 peers" may or may not have the same life experiences , outlooks or feelings you do .
You had better be damn sure you are justified in anyones eyes if you ever end up in that position.

The one time I had to draw down on the guy who came in thru my house window , left in a hurry after seeing that I was serious.
I was raked over the coals by quite a few folks for saying I would shoot him if he didn't leave.
Would hate to have seen just what would have happened if he didn't.
Andy

Ultimately, I think Dad made the right call, But I would have been a strong wish from puling that trigger my self. Three armed dudes up close and making demands is one thing, but when the blades came out, that to me meets the requirements of deadly force! I'm glad I wasn't in that tight spot, and hope I never am!

https://www.policeone.com/edged-wea...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/

It's an old police rule of thumb, However, most criminals will get close to you and not seem aggressive until they are right up next to you.
Police are dealing with this a lot with the homeless explosion.

Here's a good video demonstration. But how many people are 21ft away from an attacker when threatened. Your better defense is trying to deflect the attack, get them off balance and/or to fall to the ground back away and draw-fire.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top