JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is exactly why I never recommend identifying yourself to the threat.
Warning shots aren't considered a good idea so why would somebody think a verbal warning is ok.
As others have said if you're going to draw you need to shoot.
He already proved to be a threat.

Nobody likes to think carrying a gun could get you killed.

But just carrying it may at some point, obligate you to use it.

I remember a story about a off duty cop on a new York subway. [This was back in the 80's].
Five thugs started to surround and harass him. Eventually they found his handgun.

They were so scared and angry about the gun. They cut the guys trigger finger off. And threw him a beating. :s0002:

Deadly threat present, moral and legal obligation to discuss is waved.
People watch to much TV. Deadly threat = deadly forced permitted to end the threat period. You are not a negotiator !

Gun fighting 101 rule's!!! #1, never draw on a drawn gun until you can reach cover! #2 never fire a warning shot or give commands after bad guy shoots, #3 Never give chase! #4 The second you draw your side arm, the second you become a threat, do not hesitate to shoot once you draw! Bad guy made it clear he is ready and willing to employ lethal means, that clears you to use what ever means you have to end the threat! De escalation is for the professionals when they arrive!

Here's a question?

Do you consider multiple threats [Multiple attackers] to constitute the use of lethal force?
With or without a gun?

I do, I think age also makes the deadly threat more viable. Say you are jumped by 3 men and you are 60 years old the use of deadly force seems reasonable. Is this what you are asking? I think when one is armed and one is not the determination of deadly threat is no longer assumed but implied putting the burden on the armed to justify the use of deadly force and to ensure authorities would view it as justified. When I say assumed I mean when both are armed as opposed to not.

This is exactly why I never recommend identifying yourself to the threat.

Gun fighting 101 rule's!!! #1, never draw on a drawn gun until you can reach cover! #2 never fire a warning shot or give commands after bad guy shoots, #3 Never give chase! #4 The second you draw your side arm, the second you become a threat, do not hesitate to shoot once you draw!
Excellent advice!

The fact that you have your gun in your hand means that someone in close proximity to your person did something that made you think you needed to get it in your hand.

In our classes we don't teach anyone to say "halt!" or "stop!" Once the gun is out, you are in a gun-fight. It is time to get moving and shooting and on the good side of the OODA loop. No need to include in the memo to the bad guy that you are about to be the cause of their bad day.

Nothing you might find in most areas of your life is going to stop bullets. Don't worry about getting behind something that stops bullets, start putting your bullets into the face and chest of the person that scared you enough to cause you to draw your gun.

Shoot them to the ground, reload, and check for additional threats.

Good question Medic! I would view multiple attackers as a threat depending on the proximity from them to me, Body language, and observed intent. These would determine if I were to draw, and then decide if I need to end it that way! If they look like they are going to rush me, especially a flanking rush, then the closest gets it first! after that, then decide if further action is required!

Good question Medic! I would view multiple attackers as a threat depending on the proximity from them to me, Body language, and observed intent. These would determine if I were to draw, and then decide if I need to end it that way! If they look like they are going to rush me, especially a flanking rush, then the closest gets it first! after that, then decide if further action is required!

What I'm saying is. You should know that a threat from multiple attackers. Changes the rules.

And I would not fight three men like one.
With One there's no broken elbows, necks, or throats. And I won't extract your eye's with my thumbs.

Multiple attackers? The rules change.

Besides my hands. If I have a gun, knife, or ever a length of two x four.
That's even better! I would go for full affect.

Sorry. I can't take the chance that ''one one of many'' attackers rejoins the fight.

Two or more?
Call an ambulance!

Last Edited:
Yeah it's the mob rule when acting in self defense.

If there's two or more attackers then if your carrying it's more likely they will over power you and take your firearm.

If anybody attacks me one person or a hundred I'm assuming they are intending to do major bodily injury or death.

I try to deescalate any tense situation or try to avoid it so if it comes to getting physical I'm assuming the worst.
And acting accordingly.

Exactly! Mob rules clear you to act with force up to and including deadly force. Here is something that happened to my Dad at Christmas time several years back. Three cholos decide to try and mug him thinking 80 year old target, lots of cash, and slow reflexes make it easy. Two of them brandish blades and make there demands! Dad is still in very good shape, well practiced, and is carrying! He draws and points his pistol in the face of the closest threat! Has the threat to my Dad met the requirements needed to use deadly force? All three fled the seen like little girls, and dad didn't need to shoot any one, but what if he did?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top