JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds as if you need to back off the crimp die. Only thing you can do is pull the ones already loaded along with powder and redo the sizing.

I am going to make a suggestion - when you reload for a pistol or a rifle - have that firearm around to cycle your first round through - be very careful but in order to not screw up a 100 rounds or even 50 I cycle the round through the firearm. This is very important especially if you are trying to build custom ammo for a specific firearm.

As an example - I try to build my rifle loads to the rifle - I find out how long my chamber is and then back off the length a few thousands. One of the problems you have here is that you may not have the length needed in your magazine of the rifle - so in theory you have just made a single shot rifle. These are the games you play when making custom ammunition.

I have been loading since 1980 and have a coffee can full of mistakes to prove it. I still go back and read the manuals - often one is on my night stand or the basement rest room.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Lots of autoloader brass gets a slight case of "Muffin Top" when fired in certain weapons. Glock is one but not the only one that has a slight unsupported area near the entrance of the chamber.

When sizing the brass, the sizing die does not go all the way to ehe case head. It stops short and can often leave this bulge which will keep the slide from going fully into battery.

Two solutions. First one is to carefully inspect all your brass, usining a case gauge, and toss out all the bulged brass.

Second, invest in a Lee Factory Crimp Die. This die will make all these problems go away. You can set it so that all the crimping it does is to push the flare of he case mouth back against the bullet, and no more. The biggest benefit comes from the sizing ring in the die that performs a final sizing operation. The ring will iron out any slight distortions from seating the bullet and continue along the case, all the way to where it contacts the shell holder. A 9mm (and other auto loader calibers) case that is finished with one of these dies will chamber with no issues. No mare hand slaps against the end of the slide, no more cussing, etc. Just rounds that feed without hassle. Anyone loading for an autoloader should have one of these dies. If they haven't had a problem yet, the likelihood of having one in the future. A good $20 investment for any handloader with an autoloader.

FWIW, the "crimp" povided by most, if not all, 9mm seater dies is a taper crimp. Not usually the same problem there with wrinkles or bulges as one gets with an improperly adjusted "roll crimp" die such as for revolver cartridges.

So i loaded a bunch of 9mm reloads and the cases almost look slightly swollen towards the base of the casing and there fighting going into the cylinder, any help? Is there anything that can be done now that there loaded?

IMO, to answer your question, in my limited experience, NO. I think you'll most likely need to dissasemble and see if you can re-resize without the primer punch in the die. That's what I've done being the cheap sucker I am, but only on or two here and there. Maybe you didn't have the deprimer/sizer die set down far enough? Curious what fire arm you're having the issue with, and have you tried the round in another firearm?

I puchased 1000 once fired .40 cases that were mostly "Glocked" brass. My Lee die sized them fine down to the webing and they do not hang up in the CZ. I don't know, are 9mms known for having closer tolerences in the chambers than others? I'm sure I must have picked up some "Glocked" 9mm cases, never had issues with any of those chambering, except when I needed to seat certain brand/type bullets deeper due to the rifling in a particular gun.

Let us know what comes of this. I've only loaded since last December but had no issues other that the small one mentioned above, in 3000-4000 rounds. I like to hear of any possible problems for future reference.

Mike

IMO, to answer your question, in my limited experience, NO. I think you'll most likely need to dissasemble and see if you can re-resize without the primer punch in the die. That's what I've done being the cheap sucker I am, but only on or two here and there. Maybe you didn't have the deprimer/sizer die set down far enough? Curious what fire arm you're having the issue with, and have you tried the round in another firearm?

I puchased 1000 once fired .40 cases that were mostly "Glocked" brass. My Lee die sized them fine down to the webing and they do not hang up in the CZ. I don't know, are 9mms known for having closer tolerences in the chambers than others? I'm sure I must have picked up some "Glocked" 9mm cases, never had issues with any of those chambering, except when I needed to seat certain brand/type bullets deeper due to the rifling in a particular gun.

Let us know what comes of this. I've only loaded since last December but had no issues other that the small one mentioned above, in 3000-4000 rounds. I like to hear of any possible problems for future reference.

Mike

The Lee FCD will remove bulges and unless the case has a huge wrinkle, you don't have to pull them down.

Since you did mention CZ, there is an issue with CZ 9mm's that can cause rounds to not fully chamber. CZ uses a very short throat in their 9mm barrels. I have a CZ75 SP-01 that will not chamber a Montana Gold 124gr JHP when loaded to minimum OAL as spec'd by Vihtavouri (the powder I use on my "special" 9mm loads). I have to go below they minimum OAL because of where the ogive is placed on the Montana Gold bullet. This is just an example of how bullet shape can cause the issue. If I load a Flat Point, with the ogive farther back on the bullet, no issue.

If you see bulges on a 9mm case, get a Lee FCD die. If you don't believe me, just go out on the other reloading forums and see what those that finally got one have to say. It's not JUST a crimping die, it also is a final sizing die. Better than playing all day with a case gauge that really doesn't tell you anything other than the case will headspace correctly and isn't too long.

Interesting Deadshot. The 124 hp Montana Gold is what I load in 9mm. Berry's 124 9mm is what had such a long straight side to it that I needed to shorten OAL more than I wanted to mess with in the wifes PRO Aegis, sold 'em.

I love my CZ75 SP-01 in .40. I don't have a good heavy full size 9mm range gun and was considering a CZ, or maybe a RIA 1911 9mm in the future.

Mike

Firearm is an xdm, and there was several slaps to the slide involved in testing a few of these rounds, from the looks of what I loaded they almost all look this way so being as I have almost 500 like this I'm trying to come up with a good solution so I can get shooting.

A case gauge is your friend. I found that if it goes in/out easily of my case gauge it will do so in my guns as well.

Regardless of brand of resizing die, you may need to crank it down a little further than the die instructions state in order to get the section by the head to the right dimension. In this regard a set of digital calipers will also be your friend. Last time I had a problem with the cases not fitting properly the last bit of the case was too large by 0.002"

I love my CZ75 SP-01 in .40. I don't have a good heavy full size 9mm range gun and was considering a CZ, or maybe a RIA 1911 9mm in the future.

Mike

That's why I bought my CZ SP-01 9mm, for a heavy duty range gun. 40,000+ rounds later it's still in original condition. Did break a slide pin but CZ sent me one free in the mail. That happened back around round 1200 or so.

It is a little heavy but I like how it feels in my hand so much I also use it as a Carry Weapon from time to time. It takes thee reload mags on the opposite side of my belt to balance the load but what the heck. 20 in the pistol and 57 more rounds "on the ready". Just right for a trip to Seattle:cool::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top