JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just hoping the more experienced reloaders here could shed some light for me.

I shoot about 1k-3k rounds of 5.56/.223 and about 500-1k rounds of 45ACP a year out of my AR and 1911. Basically the only reason I've been wanting to get into reloading is to save money, so I did some quick math on a round that I've been pretty fond of lately and aim to base my reloading off of: Black Hills 77gr MHP

I went to my usual ammo supplier, widener's reloading, and tallied up the cost of components very briefly by cost ($) per shot.

Sierra 77Gr Matchking = $110/500Bullets (22 cents a load)

TAC Powder 8lbs (3628.73 grams) = $118/Roughly 148 loads @ 24.5grams (79 cents a load)

CCI41 Primers = $33/1000 (3 cents a load)

So the amount of powder was just a rough estimate from a little research and might be less, especially for me to start out with, but in the end that still equates to about $1.04 a load, and that's not counting the brass. I've been purchasing Black Hills 77gr MHP (Reman.) through Cabela's for $42.00 a box, and at 50 rounds a box that is about 84 cents a cartrige! Either somewhere I've got my math wrong or I need to find a new place to get supplies; or what I've been hearing about reloading being so much cheaper is not really 100% true. Someone please learn me, I hope my math/process is wrong.

I also ran through very quickly, the cost per round of reloading regular bulk M193 to plink with, and I pretty much got the same results.

Yep, your math is off. There are 7,000 grains to a pound. Ergo, you've got 56,000 grains of pow-pow.

Assuming you're using 24.5 grains, you're looking at about 2,280 loads, bringing your CPL (cost per load) to about a nickel per.

Primer ($0.03) + Bullet ($0.22) + Powder ($0.05) = Cartridge ($0.30)

$0.30 per round sounds about right for a 223, but I'm using your numbers for everything except the powder.

Ok so powder corrected:

8lbs (3628.73 grams) 24.5GRAINS a round = 24.5*0.06479891Gram/1Grain = about 1.59 Grams per load. So I should get about 2282 loads per 8lb container of powder. HOLY COW that's ALOT better than the original 148 loads I first calculated.

So that's about 5 cents a load. Which would bring my cost per reloading a cartrige to 30 cents a load! That makes it a lot more appealing.

Haha, Thanks guys, I knew I was doing something wrong but just couldn't figure it out.

I was just about to figure that part out next 2506 =)

Thanks again.

Haha, Thanks guys, I knew I was doing something wrong but just couldn't figure it out.

I was just about to figure that part out next 2506 =)

Thanks again.

You could, however, blow up Times Square with your original calculations. :D :D

JUST KIDDING! :D

I always figure it costs me about 1/3 the cost of new to reload IF I already own the brass. That's using quality components and figuring apples to apples. I can't use high quality JHP Speer Gold Dots and then compare to the cost of FMJ cheap stuff.

I don't reload so I don't know, but how many times do you reuse your brass for .223/5.56? I've been saving mine up in case I decide to start.

Until you decide it's unsafe to do so really is the best answer. Since every time you fire a case and resize it, brass migrates towards the mouth, thinning out the brass at the bottom. If a thin, faint line begins to form on the case head, pitch it. Or cracks on the case mouth. A good rule of thumb is reload a case 5x, but as always, YMMV.

Until you decide it's unsafe to do so really is the best answer. Since every time you fire a case and resize it, brass migrates towards the mouth, thinning out the brass at the bottom. If a thin, faint line begins to form on the case head, pitch it. Or cracks on the case mouth. A good rule of thumb is reload a case 5x, but as always, YMMV.

It depends on the brass also. I found the LC being a little thicker i can get 10 reloads before i start to see signs that it is time to throw them out. I also load lightly to save money and feed the full autos. I have only reloaded the 7.62 brass once so far, so i don't know if it will hold up as well as the 5.56.

But then again everyones mileage will vary.

I'm the opposite. I keep buying quality brass and components, loading and hoarding. I like to see it pile up. I'll even go buy 1,000 rounds of new FMJ ammo to shoot, and then load it with better bullets and stash it and buy more to shoot, lol.

here you go:
Primers at 33/1000 = 3.3c /rd.
8#'s powder 118$ about 5.1c/rd
brass.. market rate = .12c/rd
Bullets @ .22c/rd

223 with your recipe = 40.4c/rd plus whatever your learning factor, equipment costs, and if your buying brass, if not about .28/rd.[/B]

Really is lots of fun, and costs are relative. You will have ammo when you want it..
[+ shipping and hazmat,, (don't forget all the hidden costs) = 2,285 rds per 8# w/o any spilling or mistakes. ]
[ 1st time, or just reload your old brass.. don't forget cleaning media, polish and tumbler.]

Now the cost of reloading equipment.
This all assumes you have the case gages, micrometer, primer pocket tool, and case trimmer. Oh and did I mention your time.. contact for more info. Load lots .. Sandy

-snip-

223 with your recipe = 40.4c/rd plus whatever your learning factor, equipment costs, and if your buying brass, if not about .28/rd.[/B]

I just bought 2,000 rounds of XM193 mil spec NEW ammo from Jack at Dan-Dee sales for $700, or $35 cents per round, or $350 per 1,000.

That explains a little better why sometimes if I'm trying to acquire more brass to reload, I buy loaded ammo. I think we can buy once-fired 5.56 mil spec LC brass (great stuff) from Oregon Brass, a vendor here for about $77 per K shipped.

That would still put the components close to my new cost, more or less.

Thanks, Jack!! It did arrive! :s0155:

20 rnds of factory loaded .458 Socom, $58.00 :eek:

Adding .458 to the existing line-up...Cost of 250 cases, Boolit mold, Gas checks, and Dies, aprox $400.00. (or,160 rnds.):cool:

Firing 160 rnds. deciding which sight I'm happy with....Priceless :s0155:

Jack :gun14:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews