JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it safe, acceptable or common practice To use 9mm bullets for reloading 38 Super? Is it just a matter of matching up acceptable diameter and grains to ensure it does not exceed the max velocity? I believe the length plays a role in it, but does that only effect accuracy? Thanks. Any other insight is appreciated, not wanting to ruin the bore or whatever else. I was looking at using this for doing it as it seams to coincide with measurements. I want to use TMJ copper plated.

TMJ 9mm .355 147 GR

Both .38 Super and 9mm bullets are the same diameter. Tho there is small variations in actual diameter, AFAIK it never causes an issue.

According to my Lasercast manual, the same bullets are used, but maximum loads should only be attempted in barrels with fully supported chambers.

Seating depth plays much less a role in pistol calibers than it does in rifle loadings. Are you shooting USPSA, bowling pins, bullseye, just for fun, what???

Both .38 Super and 9mm bullets are the same diameter. Tho there is small variations in actual diameter, AFAIK it never causes an issue.

According to my Lasercast manual, the same bullets are used, but maximum loads should only be attempted in barrels with fully supported chambers.

Seating depth plays much less a role in pistol calibers than it does in rifle loadings. Are you shooting USPSA, bowling pins, bullseye, just for fun, what???
Just for fun

Then use the load data for 38 Super or the 9mm bullet?

Bit of a communication problem here: There is no load data for "the 9mm bullet".... What there is is load data for 9mm Luger, 9x21, 9x23, etc, all "cartridges". You load by cartridge.

So yes, use a manual that shows loadings for .38Super with the 147gr bullet you selected.

You have a reloading manual or just using internet?

See this recent discussion here:

Short version, as already said above, the bullet "heads" are reasonably interchangable. So long as you use the powder data appropriate to whatever cartridge you are gonna load.

See this recent discussion here:

Short version, as already said above, the bullet "heads" are reasonably interchangable. So long as you use the powder data appropriate to whatever cartridge you are gonna load.
Lol oh yeah

"Reloading manual" - not what powder. What "reloading manual" are you going to use for load data?
None anymore....I referenced Lyman when I first got started but what else is needed from one of those? I use the same powder always and the powder mfg info seems to be all that I see as being needed .....no?

None anymore....I referenced Lyman when I first got started but what else is needed from one of those? I use the same powder always and the powder mfg info seams to be all that I see as being needed .....no?

Always, always, always get your loading data from either a current manual, not sure Lyman shows .38 super and I'd have to look it up, or directly from the powder manufacturer. Are you saying you are using info from the powder manufacturer when you mention powder mfg?

I see a downloadable list online from Western Powders that lists .38Super. If you can find the bullet listed, that should be fine. You need to pay attention to the OAL they list because a truncated cone bullet will be reloaded with a shorter OAL that the published standards for the cartridge. For instance 1.275 vs 1.280.... just a bit shorter because of the flat nose.

Always, always, always get your loading data from either a current manual, not sure Lyman shows .38 super and I'd have to look it up, or directly from the powder manufacturer. Are you saying you are using info from the powder manufacturer when you mention powder mfg?

I see a downloadable list online from Western Powders that lists .38Super. If you can find the bullet listed, that should be fine. You need to pay attention to the OAL they list because a truncated cone bullet will be reloaded with a shorter OAL that the published standards for the cartridge. For instance 1.275 vs 1.280.... just a bit shorter because of the flat nose.
This is what I use:

I have that up on my screen.

So, I'm seeing 6.6grs to 7.3grs of Accurate #5 for a Speer 147gr TMJ Flat point with an OAL of 1.270.... you got the same? Is that the bullet you are going to use???
I was looking at buying on of these, but unsure which would be recommended.

9mm- 147 RN
Diameter: 0.356

or

9mm-124 RN
Diameter: 0.355

I was looking at buying on of these, but unsure which would be recommended.

9mm- 147 RN
Diameter: 0.356

or

9mm-124 RN
Diameter: 0.355

You can substitute the same weight of bullet as long as you stay within the limitations Xtreme publishes for "plated" bullets, which may NOT be used at the same velocities available for jacketed bullets. I can't find it at the moment and don't remember it... 1200fps???

At any rate, my Lasercast manual recommends the heavier bullets for reloading .38Super, due to less recoil impulse and less stress on the firearm. So according to them, the 147 is a better choice.

My IPSC buddies shot RN in their .38Super for open class, real hot loads, not sure what bullet weight they used.

You can substitute the same weight of bullet as long as you stay within the limitations Xtreme publishes for "plated" bullets, which may NOT be used at the same velocities available for jacketed bullets. I can't find it at the moment and don't remember it... 1200fps???

At any rate, my Lasercast manual recommends the heavier bullets for reloading .38Super, due to less recoil impulse and less stress on the firearm. So according to them, the 147 is a better choice.

My IPSC buddies shot RN in their .38Super for open class, real hot loads, not sure what bullet weight they used.
Thank so much for giving all this feedback, truly appreciated. Any other is appreciated.

Many times plated Bullets are to be pushed to the same speeds similarly to lead Bullets. Maybe just a tad faster.

Many times plated Bullets are to be pushed to the same speeds similarly to lead Bullets. Maybe just a tad faster.

Yes, but still less than jacketed. Not sure about being pushed to a faster speed, but they do require just a bit more powder than lead bullets. When using Xtremes, I usually look up a load in my Lasercast manual (unplated lead/silver alloy bullets) and start with the lowest charge anyway.

The OP needs to pay heed to Xtreme's warning since that is what he thinks he will be using. Unfortunately, Xtreme doesn't provide any reloading data for their bullets. So, just using the Western Powder data, as intended for different bullets (jacketed is all they list for .38Super), would exceed the recommendations and likely give poor results with the bullet shedding the plating either in the barrel or in flight.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top