JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dude read your reloading manual before chamfering the hell out of the case mouth. you just need a slight angle; if you do too much it weakens the mouth. I repeat read you reloading manual.
Putting a fair amount of chamfer inside the mouth is fine. You want that bullet to seat as easily as possible, and without hanging up.

+1 on the Giraud tri-way trimmer
I have one for 308

and i have a crow something one for 223,
I like the giraud one better, but its slightly more expensive.
but if i was a baller and maybe a little bit taller i would get the giraud desktop trimmer.

That is a good thing. I hope you never have to experience a stuck case in the middle of a match.
I shoot several thousand rifle handloads per year in competition.
Stuck case problems are usually attributed to not sizing the shoulder
of the case down to spec. This is affected by adjustment of the sizing die.
I have helped several new reloaders with problems with chambering in an
AR Match chamber. I use the RCBS Precision Mic to measure factory ammo
and compare. Adjust standard full length sizer die to bring the shoulder
of your sized case to spec.:rolleyes:
RCBS Precision Mic 223 Remington

Last Edited:
I've loaded maybe 1200, or so .223 for my 5.56 chamber AR-15. I use standard Lee dies. Those dies always produce full-length sized cases within SAAMI specs. I've never had a case stuck in a die. I've never had a case stuck in a chamber.

I use a 1/4-20 tap, drill the primer pocket out to 13/64" then thread hole. Be sure decapping pin is backed out first. Then use a appropriate size socket as a spacer and a 1/4-20 bolt to extract your stuck case. I've done it MANY times-LOL. Good luck. Should take less than five minutes.

I use carbide dies for all of my pistol cases so I remove the lubrication step.
I have carbide as well,but the 9mm ones still feel like they have quite a bit of resistance to them.found that dropping my shells in a bag that's been sprayed with a little one shot makes it go super smooth. My 45acp and 380 work great with out it tho.

I have carbide as well,but the 9mm ones still feel like they have quite a bit of resistance to them.found that dropping my shells in a bag that's been sprayed with a little one shot makes it go super smooth. My 45acp and 380 work great with out it tho.

I'm with you on that 9mm brass. I use Lee dies and 9 is tough, though I don't use lube. I change arms so my shoulders don't get lop-sided. :D Out of several thousand never had a case stick.

FYI the cleaner and shinier it is, the less resistance you'll have when sizing.

FYI the cleaner and shinier it is, the less resistance you'll have when sizing.
The 9 has that darned slight taper and everything gets there at once as the sizing die bottoms out. I like to put the tiniest fraction of lube on them even with my carbide dies it's just more pleasant when loading a thousand in the turret. 1000 rounds equals 4000 strokes:eek:. Even shiny it gets bothersom.

The 9 has that darned slight taper and everything gets there at once as the sizing die bottoms out. I like to put the tiniest fraction of lube on them even with my carbide dies it's just more pleasant when loading a thousand in the turret. 1000 rounds equals 4000 strokes:eek:. Even shiny it gets bothersom.
Makes sense. I've used a progressive on them for the last 25+ years, so one stroke, one finished product. Then again, there's several operations going on at the same time with that one stroke. :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews