JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found out the hard way that some of my range brass had crimped primers. Results cost me replacing decapping pins and sadly one whole insides of resizing die. Used RCBS dies. Bought a Lee decapping die. It has worked on a couple thousand pieces. Lesson two. That same piece of brass had a primer pocket that needed detailed. Curses. Ruined some primers. Yeah, lessons learned to ease up on the press and use the right tools properly. Splurged for RCBS competition dies in .223. Access hole allows my placement of the bullet quickly and accurately plus love the ability to adjust seating depth with greater control.

415DET,

Nope.

Posted for the OP. Sounds like he has done pistol. But, perhaps he just needs a refresher before jumping into rifle reloading. Ohhh....also....re-reading, also includes re-watching. Yup....I also watch those vids on YouTube. They can be helpful (on a ton of subjects).;)

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Copy that Mark,

I strongly recommend that folks getting in to reloading have an experinced person to show them the ropes as well as reading a good reloading manual. Bottleneck rifle has a few things to consider that you don't have when loading for pistol.

Ted

Yea I've done a around 1kish pistol rounds and really haven't had any serious problems.im in the process of getting everything I need to start .223.im definitely going to read a bunch on it before I even start it.unfortunatley I don't really know anyone in Oregon that knows much well besides people that have helped me a lot on here.

Yea I've done a around 1kish pistol rounds and really haven't had any serious problems.im in the process of getting everything I need to start .223.im definitely going to read a bunch on it before I even start it.unfortunatley I don't really know anyone in Oregon that knows much well besides people that have helped me a lot on here.

Now if we could just get you dialed in on using CAPitals and punciation!! :p;)

I shoot with Ted and have known him a long time. He knows what he
is talking about. ;) I reload thousands of 223 a year. 6 different uppers.
Some Wylde chamber some 223 or 556. 52 to 80 grain bullets.
I use standard full length RCBS dies. No crimp. No problems.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just bought a set of hornaday dies.i looked thru and all the sets were two die sets. So
My question is do I need to get a expander die separately or do I just not need one for 223.
You bought a set of Hornady dies and noticed that "all the sets" were two die sets and are wondering if you need an expander die.
Why would you even ask that question if you have a two die set and at least two reloading manuals that explain the parts and functions of reloading dies?

You bought a set of Hornady dies and noticed that "all the sets" were two die sets and are wondering if you need an expander die.
Why would you even ask that question if you have a two die set and at least two reloading manuals that explain the parts and functions of reloading dies?
Because I didn't have them right in front of me and found that I can quick reliable answers on this forum.hence the reason I asked. If you don't have anything helpful to add maybe don't add anything.

Just bought a set of hornaday dies.i looked thru and all the sets were two die sets. So
My question is do I need to get a expander die separately or do I just not need one for 223.
Normally the expander is part of the de-caping pin. If you are reloading for a semi auto, you would do well to invest in a small base sizing die. Frequently standard dies do not squeeze the base of the fired cartridge small enough to get them to chamber reliably in things like an AR-15.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top