JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless you're talking about flaring the mouth, it's not needed. Just make sure to chamfer the hell out of the inside of the mouth after its sized so the bases of the bullets (especially flat based bullets) don't get shaved while seating.

My brother says I'm still in the ,"Stone Age", as I still use a case length die and a fine file.:eek:
I don't shoot my 5.56/.223 a lot because I use my .22 rimfire AR for plinking.;)
All of my rifles are AR15's, so I pick the caliber for what I intend to do that day.:D

You don't expand the mouth on rifle.

^^^
Partial truth.

Actual truth:
When you shove the brass up into the die the neck is shrunk down to like .215"-.218" ID, then when you extract the case there is an expanded ball that expands the ID to .222"+/- .001".

Google "case neck tension". Then if you want you crimp using a FCD but it squeezes/compresses a little to hold the bullet like a taper crimp in a 9mm.

Bolt rifle doesn't need crimp.

Last Edited:
Well I'd like something quick and easy,have a lot of brass to process
There's a Giraud tri-way trimmer that uses your cordless drill. May save you some money over the full sized version, and trims as well as chamfers the inside and outside of the case. :)

Oh,well I'm glad I just happened to pick that one.any recommendations on a good case trimmer?

Send to me I'll trim. Lol

Frankford Arsenal prep Center. The first and last trimmer you will buy for all calibers.

Search the reloading threads and you will find a lot of info about trimmers.

Last Edited:
No need for small base dies, your Hornady full length dies will work fine. I go through thousands of 223 rounds a year and not once have standard full length dies caused an issue. Just make sure you set the die up properly and you will be good to go. If you want the best trimmer available, I second the recommendation for the Giraud. It will trim, chamfer and deburr in one step. I use it for 223 and 30-06 and would not want to do it any other way, but the Giraud is not cheap. If you are only doing a few hundred at a time any trimmer will do the job well enough, but you will still have to chamfer and deburr in an extra step. The Giraud Tri Way trimmer is an excellent compromise between his power trimmer and a manual trimmer.

Ted

Tri Way Trimmer.htm

Yes, in my chamber, as well as the chambers of dozens of folks I shoot with. Most folks I shoot with either have a 223 Wylde or Compass Lake chamber, and no one I know uses a small base die. I full length size for four different ARs and two of them are not match chambered, one being a Ruger 556 and the other a Smith M&P. My sizing die is an RCBS and my seater die is a Forster Ultra Micrometer. All shoot flawless from my sizing process and without a crimp, using everything from a 52 grain to 80.5 grain bullet. The consensus is that small base dies over work the brass. The only time I have heard of small base dies being used is for machine gun fired brass, and even then may be unecessary. But I agree, use what is right for your rifle. I just have not met anyone that has used both a full length and a small base die and noticed a difference.

Ted

My I suggest that you re-read your procedures for reloading rifle ammo. I'm sorry. But, reloading can be dangerous and I say that in a genuine concern for your safety. If you still don't get it. Perhaps, an actual demonstration may be in order to show you how it's done. Some people just learn better/faster when stuff is demonstrated. No shame in that. Better safe than sorry.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for the question, about why an expander (like that found with pistol cartridge die sets) is NOT NEEDED with the two die rifle set......Dyjital explained it quit well.

Then.......when properly set up, your two die rifle set can even produce a slight crimp (or with enough neck tension) that will keep your bullet in place for feeding through a semi auto rifle. All without the EXTRA step of a FCD. Though some prefer to use a separate FCD for uniformity of crimp/tension.

Last Edited:
Mark,

Was your post intended for me? If so, what procedure to I need to re-read? I have been handloading rifle and pistol for over 10 years and safety is my primary concern.

Ted

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads