JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Self taught...dad always kept the brass though he never reloaded, and then Uncle Sam made me police up all the brass and he always kept it too. So, that brass hoarding thing stuck with me until one day I realized there were some pretty big boxes of my .44 mag brass just laying around.

Cheap'o guy that I am, started reading about loading my own 44 rounds, and thank you Speer and Hornady. One very well used AP lock-n-load later, I am able to keep plenty of practice ammo ready to go.

Reloading is fun :s0104:

I bought the Lyman reloading manual and read through the front on the basics. I wanted better hunting ammo that did not cost $1.75 a round. After saving about 100 cases of 45-70 and 50 cases 300 Winmag, I figured I could reload them and pay for the equipment.

I still have the loads from those first batches. The 45-70 350 gr bullets loaded to modern lever action pressures is a mule kick and acts like a grenade on deer. They are only fun to remind me what real recoil is. They were too destructive to use again on deer. The 300 win mag loads are great, I just don't shoot it except for hunting. 50 rounds lasts a lot of hunting seasons.

Self taught long before the internet. In 1978 I lived in Yakima and wife worked at Payless. I bought a Dan Wesson 357
from Payless with the wife's discount. And I bought a RCBS Rockchucker and the necessary accessories at Payless.:rolleyes:
C-clamped the press to our cheap dinning room table. Read the RCBS reloading manual and started reloading 38 spl
and 357 mag.:D

My dad gave me most of his equipment when I started shooting more.

He helped me get started, then I took it from there and learned by experimenting and trial and error.

Reloading is something I have learned to love. It is not only a great way to stay "IN STOCK" so to say, but it is an enjoyable way to get away from things! I also get to make up some crazy stuff and or custom ammo. That no manufacturer would likely ever make.

My experience is very similar to that which Reno shared. I remember "helping" my Dad and one of his friends when I was pretty young (probably 8 or so). They developed a load for a hunting rifle that never shot that good with the factory ammo we tried; but found a hand load that worked real good. I shot my first deer with that rifle, making a difficult shot (probably was luck), and years later my Dad gave it to me for a Christmas gift.

Fast forward 30 years, and after getting back into shooting more frequently, my Dad said "why don't you take all my reloading gear and get it set up at your place. We can load together". That is when I really got my start reloading about 10 years ago. Some instruction from my Dad; some reading manuals; some reading on the net and learning which posters on various forums are sharing good advice and experience to learn from. It is a fun hobby that I really enjoy. Started off with a RockChucker I picked up used; added in Dad's Dillon 550, and it snowballed from there! Fortunately my Dad donated a bunch of components he had picked up at prices 20-30 years ago, and he and I have been adding to the component inventory as we go, so having ammo to go shoot when you want to in times like the current environment doesn't involve searching around at a bunch of local stores who are out of stock unless you happen to catch them when their ammo shipment comes in, or paying inflated prices from flippers during a panic; it just involves spending a little time with your reloading gear doing something you enjoy (reloading) to do something else you enjoy (creating empty cases to reload again)!

This website, help from @deadeye in person and over the phone and since I retain technical data very well (application, not theory) I could listen to everyone, read/skim data and absorb.

Started running .300 Savage because I couldn't afford the $1.50 per round price tag and it has developed into something I never thought it would.

...annnnddd I've been doing this since about 2011 so approx 10 years maybe less, not sure.

Last Edited:
Self taught and only started 2 years ago.

My first attempt was 357AMP. Absolutely no YouTube videos exist, and very little was written for it. Every step of the process was meticulously slow. Everything from necking the brass properly for my chamber, case trimming to proper specs, starting with light loads and working up so the action would lock open on the last round. Knowing that if I did something wrong I risked damaging my Auto Mag to the point it would be a very expensive paperweight. All done on a single stage RCBS JR2 that I picked up at a gun show for $20.

In the end, I was FINALLY able to shoot my 357AMP Auto Mag. And I feel confident that I can teach others how to load for it too.

In 1980 I got out of the service and moved from San Diego to La Grande. My new bozz was a reloader of 7mmMAG and had a Rockchucker set up on the bench in the car bay. He showed me the basics. I learned the rest on my own in the years after by reading.

Did you learn how to reload from a relative or friend? A workshop or class? Self-taught? Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, at least one does.)

Thanks. :)
I started stuffing shot-shell in the early 80's because I wanted to shoot trap and skeet as a (really poor financially) youngster. Nobody in my family knew anything about it so I learned it from Richard Lee's shotshell book that came with a Load-all. It really isn't difficult it's all about paying attention to details. It's served me well. It's a fine hobby that keeps you sharp and always supplied. I love helping out newcomers like @Josh89 . it's very gratifying to pass it on.

Self taught. Started on a shot shell press in high school to reload for trap shooting and still use the same press. Then it evolved into the single stage loading for my hunting rifles and then a 650xl and started casting and powder coating bullets and making pistol ammo. Turned a bedroom into my reloading room with and keep adding to it. Guess that's one of the perks of being single with no kids. Still own and use every press I have bought.

Why get into reloading? Because firing over 60 of these at a BPCR match every month gets stupidly expensive...

IMG_20210215_135614426.jpg

"Self taught". In quotes because I learned a lot by asking folks I knew and the internet a LOT of questions. Lots of internet searches too to either confirm or deny an idea/recipe. I started off with a Lee Loader in 45Colt. First batch I couldn't get a primer to seat so I ran to Sportsman's and bought an RCBS hand primer. I made 50 good rounds with the Whack A Mole set up and they went off great. Bought a single stage press after that. I now use a turret press. I got started because I couldn't afford to keep shooting 45Colt at $1.00 a round during the Obama era ammo scarcity. Now I load for all my center fire handguns. I have even been able to add 44Special and 327 Federal because I can reload. When I can start finding components I think .308 and .223 will be added to the mix too. One thing I hated to hear early on was "read the book". I was getting my load data off powder and bullet manufacturers websites which does work, but the info in even just a couple good books really makes reloading so much more versatile, safe, and fun. My favorites are the Lyman 50th Edition and Modern Reloading second edition.

The first gun I ever bought was a Ruger Redhawk .44Magnum back in 1983. Even then that gun was expensive to feed so out of necessity, i learned to reload. I acquired a Series 70 1911 after that so I reloaded for it as well. IIRC after the initial expense of buying all the gear, I could reload ammo for 5-6 cents per round. Those days were the start of my love affair with Unique powder and the Lyman Reloading Handbook that exists to this day.
I started out with a Lee 3-hole turret press with Lee dies and an RCBS reloading kit that had a scale, calipers and a powder dispenser.
I reload on Dillon presses but still have the Lee for goofing around with new loads.

Been collecting range scrap for a bit now. I've got a crap old camping stove and cast iron pot purposed for recovering the lead scrap. Not a ton, but if I were to take it on, I'd spend a day or two sifting through the berm for lead if I had too. Keeps me busy, cleans the earth a little, and recycles what others would likely never!

For me I would see it as a project more than necessity. If I can get a few thousand bullets made a year, I'd be abundantly joyful.

I've been looking at NOE molds too much as well. They have a lot of custom, heavy for caliber molds. Like special 165 grain 9mm.

I have casting as the last line plan, its has to get real bad for that for me. BUT it does make sense to gather the gear to do it and have it on hand. Lead is out there, few good resources for it if needed. I feel I have probably already high lead #s in my blood from all the reloading I already do. Casting if I don't wear gloves and a filtering mask the whole time would prob put me over to the top. :(

Did you learn how to reload from a relative or friend? A workshop or class? Self-taught? Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, at least one does.)

Thanks. :)

Been loading for 33yrs now. Had my share of "learning opportunities". :eek: Mostly in the first 5yrs of doing it.

At age 17yrs old my girl friends Dad taught me on his single-stage RCBS press. Over the next few yrs, I acquired my own gear (RCBS RockChucker II) to load 9mm for that G17 that my older sister "loaned" me. (My first pistol was a 1987 G17, OG Glock fanboy here kills me I sold it in 94) At my peak in the early days, I was loading and shooting about 500 rds per week on that single stage press, crazy. I was always punching something out on that press.

The first rifle loads were for my father's Winchester .32 Spc. as I would sneak it out and shoot it. Using the ammo I loaded for it. (My father gave me this gun Last Dec. for my 50th bday, and it included two boxes of ammo I loaded for it in 89!)

With the University of YouTube available now, it is easier than ever to get into reloading.

@CountryGent now post up "should I get a Dillon or a Hornady" or "Progressive or single stage to start?" threads. o_O:s0114: Strong forum opinions right there. My VOTE: Fastest Dillon you can afford. :D. Then get a second one so you can leave it set up for Large Primer. Then automate both. :cool: Last I heard Dillon was at 24 weeks on new RL1100 presses! Mark7 is also a long lead time but what I would be considering next.

Or go Ammoload.com and never look back.

I have casting as the last line plan, its has to get real bad for that for me. BUT it does make sense to gather the gear to do it and have it on hand. Lead is out there, few good resources for it if needed. I feel I have probably already high lead #s in my blood from all the reloading I already do. Casting if I don't wear gloves and a filtering mask the whole time would prob put me over to the top. :(
Have you had your levels checked?

I started stuffing shot-shell in the early 80's because I wanted to shoot trap and skeet as a (really poor financially) youngster. Nobody in my family knew anything about it so I learned it from Richard Lee's shotshell book that came with a Load-all. It really isn't difficult it's all about paying attention to details. It's served me well. It's a fine hobby that keeps you sharp and always supplied. I love helping out newcomers like @Josh89 . it's very gratifying to pass it on.

Dang, I forgot I started out loading shotshells to shoot trap!! I was stationed in San Diego and went to a few public trap clubs as well as the Navy facilities on North Island. They had several trap plus skeet. I had never shot skeet until I went there.

Bought a MEC shotshell reloader with an adjustable charge bar. Followed the instructions. Used 1oz loads in AA and Rem blue hulls. Weekends at North Island were 8-10 boxes of shells, so it was quite a bit of savings for an enlisted man. Besides regular trap/skeet, we played a lot of games like Follow The Leader and Annie Oakley.

Thanx for spurring my memory!!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top