JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Self taught started out with an RCBS JR kit and a speer manual loading .38 SPL, That was 48 years ago.

Same here....but with the fatherly guidance of an old Salt of the Earth neighbor friend. He had me packing my own black powder paper cartridges to modern day pistol/rifle cartridges. I've owned progressives but will always prefer the simplicity and attention to detail of the single stage that I shared with my elderly mentor and dear friend. In appreciation, I've been privileged to share my teachings with several others over the past 45 years.

Last Edited:
I started when I was a High School Sophomore in 1975, as I had bought my first 30-06 Remington 700.
Bought a new RCBS Rock Chucker, and learned by reading Shooter's Bible, Shooting Times, and Lyman manuals.

I still have and use the RC press.

I am mostly self taught [ from before the internet] I had seen my dad and Grandpa reload But Grandpa died in 67, and dad quit reloading before I became interested in it. I had to learn from reading books. I found out early on not to take reloading advise from LGS employees! To them the very best powder is what ever is on their shelves. DR

LONG before the net was even a gleam in Al's eye I learned from a book, the one Lee used to send with their "kit". I had seen it done all my life. It just never interested me in any real way. Had other things to do and did not want to spend the time. What pushed me was wanting a compact auto in .45. Back then it was tried and the tech just was not there yet. Had several Detonic's both mine and buddies. LOVED the idea but, never could get one of mine to work 100%. Every time I thought I was there one would hang up for no apparent reason. Just enough to bother me. So bought one, then another, of the Charter 5 shot .44's that were alloy and amazingly light. You could only find one flavor of ammo for them and even that was hard to find. So ordered a Lee Turret Kit. Read the book, off to the sporting goods store for supplies and away we go. Soon was even casting my own slugs. Gave up on that and seldom roll any more but, sure nice to have the stuff to do so when there is yet another panic shortage going on :D:D
Now days anyone who starts has it made. You can just watch and ask any question you could ever come up with all at your finger tips and even on your phone;)

Like you @CountryGent I find myself looking into something new.

Not exactly the same, but similar.

I find myself researching bullet casting. Being that I've gone through 3-5 panics now, I'm looking to start making my own bullets now.
Not to discourage you but, to me its far easier to just make sure you have plenty when the shelves are full. Even in times of plenty the damn alloy is not anything close to cheap like it used to be. With some searching and luck you can still of course find scrap and make your own cheaper but it's a nasty dirty hobby, the making your own alloy, not the casting. Safe if you use precautions of course. When shelves are full keeping a stock of the slugs is of course HEAVY but so it keeping the alloy so either way there it's the same.
If you want to get your feet wet with it when this latest panic is over you will find the stuff you need on places like Ebay again. Lee of course makes great stuff to try your hand at it. Then if you want to stick with it you can move up to better and re sell the stuff you learned on for about what you paid for it. Always a big plus:D

I hear you @Reno. My firearms tastes, like many other things, have always been in flux. Variety is the spice of life type of thing.

For reasons unknown, handloading/reloading never caught my eye. On the other hand, the benefits are significant. :)
A cheap, basic set up, and the supplies to me is kind of like insurance. I rarely use it now, too damn busy, or lazy, probably both:s0140:, but, its sure nice to know the stuff is there just in case. Supplies will outlive you and you can pass them on when you pass on if they are never used. Just damn nice to know they are there. :D

16133478822798239531441574564006.jpg 16133479313659185340798369147882.jpg 16133479629357375418943152688276.jpg 16133480260513760253031231207348.jpg Epic experience.....a double charge of Bullseye in a .45 ACP case is a wonder to "Feel" in the hand.. Fortunately no need for stitches, but taught me to be more attentive during the loading process.
Gen 2 G-21.

Back in high school my best friend's dad had a shot she'll reloader are we often loaded 50 to 100 before our hikes in the hills.

Later, a teammate in the military loaded for rifle and I sat watching for hours, learning the process. Not long after, I bought a Lee turret press second hand with a pistol and began loading 9mm. That was 35 years ago.

So, lots of reading, experimentation and test firing. I was fairly proficient with reloading when I started shooting highpower as a civilian and that helped a lot. It was easy to add in a few additional steps for brass prep.

Lately I've been playing with a progressive press, trying to figure it out and make it work.

Long story short, I'm self taught; lamenting the powder and primer shortage...

Not to discourage you but, to me its far easier to just make sure you have plenty when the shelves are full. Even in times of plenty the damn alloy is not anything close to cheap like it used to be. With some searching and luck you can still of course find scrap and make your own cheaper but it's a nasty dirty hobby, the making your own alloy, not the casting. Safe if you use precautions of course. When shelves are full keeping a stock of the slugs is of course HEAVY but so it keeping the alloy so either way there it's the same.
If you want to get your feet wet with it when this latest panic is over you will find the stuff you need on places like Ebay again. Lee of course makes great stuff to try your hand at it. Then if you want to stick with it you can move up to better and re sell the stuff you learned on for about what you paid for it. Always a big plus:D
Been collecting range scrap for a bit now. I've got a crap old camping stove and cast iron pot purposed for recovering the lead scrap. Not a ton, but if I were to take it on, I'd spend a day or two sifting through the berm for lead if I had too. Keeps me busy, cleans the earth a little, and recycles what others would likely never!

For me I would see it as a project more than necessity. If I can get a few thousand bullets made a year, I'd be abundantly joyful.

I've been looking at NOE molds too much as well. They have a lot of custom, heavy for caliber molds. Like special 165 grain 9mm.

Been collecting range scrap for a bit now. I've got a crap old camping stove and cast iron pot purposed for recovering the lead scrap. Not a ton, but if I were to take it on, I'd spend a day or two sifting through the berm for lead if I had too. Keeps me busy, cleans the earth a little, and recycles what others would likely never!

For me I would see it as a project more than necessity. If I can get a few thousand bullets made a year, I'd be abundantly joyful.

I've been looking at NOE molds too much as well. They have a lot of custom, heavy for caliber molds. Like special 165 grain 9mm.

I am a self taught caster in Salem area if you want any tips. Also have a bottom pour and ladle pot, various size bullets of 38, 44 45, and 1 big fat 405gr for my 45/70. I strictly powder coat and use lee sizers, found lube way too messy to bother with in my RCBS unit. If you are close by, give a shout out and we can hook up.

Also self taught loader. Started in the Obama shortage out of need. So far left a couple in the barrell i had to remove. But no visits from the tinsel fairy thank god.

I am a self taught caster in Salem area if you want any tips. Also have a bottom pour and ladle pot, various size bullets of 38, 44 45, and 1 big fat 405gr for my 45/70. I strictly powder coat and use lee sizers, found lube way too messy to bother with in my RCBS unit. If you are close by, give a shout out and we can hook up.

Also self taught loader. Started in the Obama shortage out of need. So far left a couple in the barrell i had to remove. But no visits from the tinsel fairy thank god.
Powder coating or similar seems like the way to go. I'll likely go that route.

Started with a mec 600 jr reloading shotshells as a teenager to help with my waterfowl hunting addiction. My hunting buddy had the same setup so I basically learned with him using his press before buying my own equipment. As my hunting interests shifted to big game in my early twenties I bought a redding single stage press and read a couple different load books how to sections and basically learned through doing. 40 years later I am into it even more and love the ability to tailor a load for a particular firearm and or situation. With the online resources available now it would be much easier to teach yourself than ever before. I still recommend a mentor if available and have personally helped a half dozen people over the years. In times like these guys that have been in it for long enough to see these ammo/component shortages come and go, have stocked up wisely. We also laugh at the people that have often argued it is not cost effective to load this or that cartridge. I have been loading more than ever in this current climate although my shooting has slowed a fair amount. Supply is finally catching and passing demand for my higher volume cartridges.

I learned reloading from a friend too many years ago while we were both college students. He had RCBS Rockchucker. We reloaded revolver cartridges. This is when I developed my love for S&W and Colt revolvers. Now I have a Dillon 550.

I was taught by my Dad when I was in high school and finally took an interest! We still reload together using his equipment; a nice and simple RCBS one-stage press that he has had for many decades now!

Nothing is more satisfying than shooting your own ammo and I am very glad I got into it!

Did you learn how to reload from a relative or friend? A workshop or class? Self-taught? Inquiring minds want to know. (Well, at least one does.)

Thanks. :)

I wanted to use premium hunting bullets without premium prices, loaded to my chamber specs. I read books like the Lee Reloading guide and the ABCs of reloading. Then, I got a kit for Christmas. Since then, I've been adding equipment as I figure out something is a pain or inefficient. I just buy tools to alleviate those issues. Ended up with power case prep, power powder measure, built up die sets, stuff like that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top