JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I started reloading, I really can't see wasting any money on factory ammo. With the Dillon stuff, I can put out rediculous amounts of ammo very quickly and consistently.
Ditto this.

While I don't crank out any 'ridiculous' amounts of ammo (due to variety) I do very well with a my CoAx and RC presses.

I often read about some saying they 'didn't see the value in reloading' (mostly 9mm) but I have never really understood this especially when some of those mentioned having progressives and the ability to reload lots of ammo quickly - but maybe they are competitors who find it more convenient to buy the amounts they need. Not being a 'competitor' however I reload everything I shoot.

In the last 20 years I have only bought a couple boxes of ammo - and that was only due to 'getting back' into two guns I had forsaken years earlier - 1911s and .30-30 WInchesters and needed ammo to shoot them immediately ! and to have some 'starting' brass for reloading.

I was self taught with a lot of help. Starting back in the early 70's I had grandmas 94 winchester 32 special. A friend loaded me a box of ammo, with his dad watching over us. I was hooked.
I also had a smith & wesson model 10. But being only 16 and not living at home,
ammo was hard to get for a pistol.
So the lee wack a mole loader in 38 special and a 158 grain 2 cavity mold got me started. Casted bullets on a coleman stove. 3.5 grains of bulleye and off to the pit.
Could not hit a bottle, can or paper plate.
Went to see another guy that reloaded, he had me explain what I had done to lead the barrel up this bad. He stared at me, asked what I lubed the bullets with?
Told him nothing. he mumbled something about not being smart enough to have a gun, let alone reload. Lesson one started then. Bullet sizer and lube 101, and how to clean a leaded barrel. I spent many a sunday afternoon in his garage
learning to load. When I had drove him crazy with questions, he passed me off to his brother.
Brother taught me to load for rifle, also taught me to think before asking questions. I still flinch when someone raises a left hand.
From there I was sent to our Sheriff. Whom explained to me why all the stuff that I had been taught had a reason. He gave me a reloading manuel.
He got me started loading shotshells. I also learned that the brothers didn't like kids much.
There were many more that helped me with knowledge, equipment and there time for my questions.
When the brothers died I was willed all the reloading equipment. Sometimes when I'm reloading I think of them and flinch a little.

Since I started reloading, I really can't see wasting any money on factory ammo. With the Dillon stuff, I can put out rediculous amounts of ammo very quickly and consistently. It is getting cheaper to reload, I just would like to be able to pick up supplies at the LGS since hazmat shipping is astronomical.
@RVTECH , too, There are are cartridges that we don't shoot enough through the year to make it worth my effort to gather components and then switch the press over to load. The hunting rifle and the pistol my wife uses/carries don't get shot very much and don't match calibers that I shoot. I have many years worth for her that I purchased. I spend more, but have one less thing to plug into my day. Right now it's easier to find ammo than primers!

@RVTECH , too, There are are cartridges that we don't shoot enough through the year to make it worth my effort to gather components and then switch the press over to load. The hunting rifle and the pistol my wife uses/carries don't get shot very much and don't match calibers that I shoot. I have many years worth for her that I purchased. I spend more, but have one less thing to plug into my day. Right now it's easier to find ammo than primers!
Yep, that's a common make or buy question. I'm trying to keep the cartidges that I reload down to a very manageable level. Come to think of it, I still have a need to buy 22LR, just couldn't find it in the stores for a while at prices I like.

Didn't reload anything today except the air soft. :s0092:

I knocked over a few ducks with it while my lathe was trying to get a tight spot out of the blunderbuss barrel. My boring bar has a wee bit of flex in it. :(

Last Edited:
I was walking downtown one night and passed this shifty looking guy on a street corner. As I passed him he's like pssst "Hey man you wanna buy some primers". Next thing you know I'm reloading for 20+ cartridges.
You call'n me shady?

Those were premium match rimfire primers!

Up until the last year or so I had not reloaded 9mm. It was cheap enough to buy them . I also load 38 super . For the same time and cost I can load the 38 super as loading 9mm. And the cost savings is about 3 times as much. At the same time I was paying $10 to $15 a box for 9mm the 38 Super cost $45 a box. It was just a matter of where I could get the most return for my time! Both 38 Super and 9mm cost me $6 to $7 a box to make.
But recently I broke out a 9mm die set and am still shooting at nearly the same rate as ever. DR

^^^ But, do you think they dis-liked kids?

Joe
Well as I got older we got along better. They also got me into ham radio.
I guess kids are to be seen not heard, I have a lot of great memories of them.
That friendship lasted 44 years.

i remember back in th 50's watching my dad and uncle reload with an old nutcracker set. my uncle had a hommade powder measure made from a prince albert can and other parts. i could actually hear the zing of the powder as he would throw a charge, those shiny new bullets, i was hooked. my dad would not let me reload untill i was a teenager. but have been doing it ever since

I watched my dad as a kid. When I got older I did some volume ammo die to the savings (then).

But the #1 reason was to be able to make what you want and cant buy.

Need a 200 grain sub load in .357 for an10.5" suppressed rifle? Gotta make it.

Nagant revolver ammo on the cheap from 32-20? Gotta make it.

Blackout subs that dont break the bank? Varmint ammo that shoots .35 MOA? 7.62x25 that also works in 7.63 Mauser when there is none to be had? Subsonic 30/30?

The list goes on…

Older ones are still relevant as well. The basics haven't changed much. Equipment and accessories have changed somewhat but its still sizing, priming, charging and seating bullets.

Speer # 9 taught me to reload back in the late 70's
That's true, but if you're buying, buy new so you have all the current powders and chamberings.
Those do change/update.

Older ones are still relevant as well. The basics haven't changed much. Equipment and accessories have changed somewhat but its still sizing, priming, charging and seating bullets.

Speer # 9 taught me to reload back in the late 70's
That old Speer No. 9 had some scary loads listed compared to more recent data! Especially 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum, as I recall.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top