JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been pondering this... I have a handgun and my dad wants it cause it is "unregistered" and he'd like to have one that's not in his name.. I bought it off a friend awhile back... Now If the Government comes to your house and "asks" for your weapons they are going to ask for the ones you have "registered" but whats going to stop you or me from simply saying oh sorry i sold it to joe smith.. Sorry it was a cash and carry transaction, and then they have no proof you have it... Are some of you all about buying guys privite party to get a gun that's not registered to you? or do you mostly do it cause you mostly get better deals doing privite party? Or do you try to stay away from gun shops so you dotn have to get a gun registered to you?

I won't buy a gun with paperwork. The government has no business knowing what I spend my money on.

However, for a gun to be truly untraceable to your dad, it has to be at least twice removed. If your dad shoots his son and then dumps the gun, they will trace the gun back to your friend, who will say he sold it to your dad.

I don't get all the hoopla over having an "unregistered" gun.

The way I see it, the government would pass laws to make it illegal to have an unregistered gun long before they would try to ban guns outright. So if you're so concerned about the government knowing you're armed in the first place, then you're probably not too willing to fight for your 2A right anyway.

I did a background check for the majority of guns I own, and I could care less what the government knows. There's no laws on keeping paperwork for private sales, so it doesn't matter anyway. You can just hide it or bury it, and it'd be just the same.

If anything, anytime I hear someone saying they want a to buy a gun without paperwork, it always makes me think that maybe they're not legally allowed to own a firearm. (I know not everyone who likes unregistered guns is a criminal, but it still makes me wonder at times).

The good thing about buying through an FFL though, is that at least you have proof you bought it if it ever gets stolen. I'd still like to see them do away with background checks altogether, but other than the extra time and money it takes, I don't see it as an issue.

I didn't know there were any gun registration listings in Oregon and Washington. Maybe I am wrong, Seattle, I don't know.

I would not get into the habit of tossing that term around. Its too easy for it to become accepted.

Yes, gun sales are recorded by the dealer you buy a weapon from and its called in to NCIS checking. But they are not allowed according to law to keep NCIS listings for the long term. That was the trade off to going with the NCIS program in the first place along with elimination of waiting periods in some states.

A gun can be traced to a dealer and to the origional purchaser, but that sure is not a "registration listing" like you would find in Chicago, NYC or DC.

Once gun registration becomes the law of the land, you can bet the bank that government will come pick up your weapons as some point. That has been the history in most countries in the past.

I require paperwork and a BGC through OSP for all the private sales of my firearms and I haven't found it to be an issue for people. Really I want to know that I'm not selling a firearm to a convicted felon or someone who is not supposed to be in possession of one. For the seller it's a peace of mind that the firearm is not stolen. If the gov. outlaws guns and you have an unregistered one what are you going to do with it? You shoot someone, even in self defense and you'll be the one doing life in prison. And if you think they won't find you guns think again, with thermal x-ray\imaging or even a metal detector sweep of your house and they will most likely find it, and again, you'll be doing time. Stand up and support your second amendment right, and keep the guns in the hands of the good guys and you won't have to worry.

I can't for the world of me understand how having the forethought to self police one's community to keep it honest is double speak. The alternatives are anarchy, or total external control - the latter of which would involve much double speak, while the former would involve no-speak - free speech and rights fall apart as much in a society where there is no formal protection of them as they do in a society in which they are formally restricted, this is something to bear in mind.

I, for one, have no fear whatsoever of the OSP - an organization which I greatly respect - having a transient record of my purchase. Worst case scenario, in my mind, they loose the paper on a furlough day. Likewise, I have no problem with the shop keeping their legally required sales log for the BATFE - it's always nice to have that information on record for my use, in case of fire, theft, etc. I also have absolutely no problem making a private purchase, but if I ever catch myself thinking about it from a registration issue, then I'll eat my tin foil hat.

now if we posess a odl,debit card,credit card,or have a checking account--the fed's already have all the personal info. they need.now this part is only my observation--as we take a gun out of our safe , and go shooting,no matter where(range , woods,whatever) ,and the cop's pull up to us ,or the range guy comes over to us . all they ask, is your gun registered ? they check the numbers,and call it in--then turn around ,and hand you your gun back with a smile ,and inform you that it is now registered ! i just feel this happening in future yrs. now if you have one in the safe that you think--their never going to get this one.thats fine ! just keep it in the safe--kinda like stealing a Mona Lisa painting-who do you get to share that one with ? registered guns are for the people that have nothing to hide....i find in my life the thing that really urinates em off --IS THE BARTER SYSTEM--:cool::cool:i do believe they hate it !! as they don't have ,and never will have any control over it !!:s0114:

boy, do i feel better now ! ,steven

I have been carrying a firearm - or firearms - for near fifty years, all over the Country. I have had not less than 20 encounters with various policing agencies and likely double that.

I have never - that is NEVER - had a Policeman ask me if the firearms were "registered", never had one ask me to hand over my firearm, and never had one run a check on the serial number(s).

I must get stopped by nicer Policemen than y'alls do.

Doug

I require paperwork and a BGC through OSP for all the private sales of my firearms and I haven't found it to be an issue for people. Really I want to know that I'm not selling a firearm to a convicted felon or someone who is not supposed to be in possession of one. For the seller it's a peace of mind that the firearm is not stolen. If the gov. outlaws guns and you have an unregistered one what are you going to do with it? You shoot someone, even in self defense and you'll be the one doing life in prison. And if you think they won't find you guns think again, with thermal x-ray\imaging or even a metal detector sweep of your house and they will most likely find it, and again, you'll be doing time. Stand up and support your second amendment right, and keep the guns in the hands of the good guys and you won't have to worry.

That was good for a laugh.

I don't care how I get them as long as the gun is legal. I view the backround check and fee as a tax on law obiding citizens. Those of us with ccl's have already been checked better than they can on a 10 minute phone call. That said we need to keep every avenue for legal gun ownership open and fully supported.:cool:

Last Edited:
OK ... Both Oregon and Washington have system which can help you do a "criminal background check" on yourself. From what I know (working in the past for USCIS - Immigration for short) they're good for 6 months.

The one in Oregon costs about $58 if you want it notarized (that inlcudes the price for fingerprints which can be done at any police station).

Here's the link for Oregon State Police which explains the procedure.

<broken link removed>

In Washington it's easier ... it's only $10 for an on-line INSTANT CBC and you have to provide only name and date of birth.

https://watch.wsp.wa.gov/

You can print one and then when you buy a gun (or sell it) you can show it to your party ... to have peace of mind. If you're in WA and buy a gun and you have a laptop with you you can do an instant check for the other party, too.

Just my 2c ...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads