JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To most people, "gun registration" denotes laws requiring gun owners to register all of their guns with a government agency.

The system here, where the government keeps records of gun purchases (and purchasers) is not gun registration. It would serve many of the same purposes if the government decided to confiscate weapons, but it is neither required nor comprehensive, and leaves gun owners with magnitudes more freedom. Under a true registration system, for example, you'd need to file a report anytime one of your guns fell in the river.... not to mention any time you sold one.

Registration and recordkeeping are two different things, period. Neither of them is good, but it's unhelpful to conflate them.

I can't for the world of me understand how having the forethought to self police one's community to keep it honest is double speak. The alternatives are anarchy, or total external control - the latter of which would involve much double speak, while the former would involve no-speak - free speech and rights fall apart as much in a society where there is no formal protection of them as they do in a society in which they are formally restricted, this is something to bear in mind.

I, for one, have no fear whatsoever of the OSP - an organization which I greatly respect - having a transient record of my purchase. Worst case scenario, in my mind, they loose the paper on a furlough day. Likewise, I have no problem with the shop keeping their legally required sales log for the BATFE - it's always nice to have that information on record for my use, in case of fire, theft, etc. I also have absolutely no problem making a private purchase, but if I ever catch myself thinking about it from a registration issue, then I'll eat my tin foil hat.

I have a problem with any government agency exceeding it's authority! If the law says they keep no record then I want no record kept.

Unless you have NEVER been put on paper as buying a gun or been affiliated with NRA, etc... what is the point?

Do you think the .gov is going to only suspect those who have registered and only collect those weapons?

Well I used to think it was smart to have a unregistered gun, but now the way things are i dont think it really matters

It doesn't.

When you come down to it, EVERY gun sold since the GCA of '68 has had a name attached to it's serial # at least once. I would be more concerned whether a gun has been stolen than whether it was "registered".

You guys are using the wrong terms. Registering a gun with the sherrif, or PD, means going in and voluntarily having them record your serial number, and register it to your name.

Buying a gun from a dealer, and filling out a background check, does not register the gun to you. It mearly approves or denies that you can buy that gun. Supposedly the atf doesn't keep that background check for very long before it's destroyed. In OR you get checked by the OSP, but that doesn't mean you have to go down and "register" it.

Registration is voluntary.

By the way, if you join the NRA, WAC, OFF, shooting ranges, or have a bunch of feedbacks on here or on gunbroker, big brother probably already has your number.

You guys are using the wrong terms. Registering a gun with the sherrif, or PD, means going in and voluntarily having them record your serial number, and register it to your name.

Buying a gun from a dealer, and filling out a background check, does not register the gun to you. It mearly approves or denies that you can buy that gun. Supposedly the atf doesn't keep that background check for very long before it's destroyed. In OR you get checked by the OSP, but that doesn't mean you have to go down and "register" it.

Registration is voluntary.

By the way, if you join the NRA, WAC, OFF, shooting ranges, or have a bunch of feedbacks on here or on gunbroker, big brother probably already has your number.

So why do they give them the serial # then if they dont register it?

I require paperwork and a BGC through OSP for all the private sales of my firearms and I haven't found it to be an issue for people. Really I want to know that I'm not selling a firearm to a convicted felon or someone who is not supposed to be in possession of one. For the seller it's a peace of mind that the firearm is not stolen. If the gov. outlaws guns and you have an unregistered one what are you going to do with it? You shoot someone, even in self defense and you'll be the one doing life in prison. And if you think they won't find you guns think again, with thermal x-ray\imaging or even a metal detector sweep of your house and they will most likely find it, and again, you'll be doing time. Stand up and support your second amendment right, and keep the guns in the hands of the good guys and you won't have to worry.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to ask to see and write down their CHL#?

Just asking?

Cass Sunstein wants to <broken link removed> internet sites. He is the Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of Management and Budget for the Obama administration. Fun guy. He wants to "know what all sides are saying in their domains," too.

While I find some of that information 'chilling', I find nothing that directly relates to firearms ownership.

I also see no problem with the government directly confronting conspiracies/theorists and putting to rest some of the garbage floating around the introwebs. IMO the only people that would find this reprehensible are those that promulgate such unfounded stories/myths.

Last time I bought a firearm I asked the lady at the Gun Broker "is this getting registered to my name?" and she said NO, we keep the paperwork here at the store for ever and that is it. My FFL also told me the same, the paperwork stays with him and the firearm does NOT get registered unless you want to I guess. I have bought guns in the store and face to face. I like to buy face to face and not pay the extra background check, and yes I have a Washington Co. CHL. Either way I really don't care if there is paper trails but I prefer not to have any paper trails. If the government comes knocking on my door to check my guns I am gonna shut the door in their face, but if they have a warrant they are welcome.

i had a conversation with my gun guy (here in prineville) a couple of months ago--he explained to me that the gun leaves his hands,and is acknowleged as you being the new owner--the records for the transaction are only kept for 90 days (if that)--him being an ffl-- has to maintain the records for the transaction for 20 yrs.(coctailer where are you ? you always seem to chime in on these type threads--with some good input)
steven

There is no legal requirement that a registration, background check, or anything else be completed for a private firearm transaction, if the parties are residents of the same state.
You cannot knowingly sell to a person who cannot legally own a firearm.
The way to be protected as a buyer is to complete a bill of sale. I fill out a bill of sale on almost every gun I purchase and only if the buyer wants one for firearms I sell. It is for my records in case one comes back stolen(which I have never had one come back stolen) or I need to prove I bought one.

I prefer to buy private party because of the extra unneeded cost of buying from an out-of-state buyer or buying through an ffl. Why do you think the Fed's require a transfer at an FFL for all new gun transfers but not private sales?

I didn't know there were any gun registration listings in Oregon and Washington. Maybe I am wrong, Seattle, I don't know.

I would not get into the habit of tossing that term around. Its too easy for it to become accepted.

Yes, gun sales are recorded by the dealer you buy a weapon from and its called in to NCIS checking. But they are not allowed according to law to keep NCIS listings for the long term. That was the trade off to going with the NCIS program in the first place along with elimination of waiting periods in some states.

A gun can be traced to a dealer and to the origional purchaser, but that sure is not a "registration listing" like you would find in Chicago, NYC or DC.

Once gun registration becomes the law of the land, you can bet the bank that government will come pick up your weapons as some point. That has been the history in most countries in the past.

You mean NICS I hope.

I just hope it's not Gibbs coming for my guns, I dont think I could stop him.

I won’t buy a gun with paperwork. The government has no business knowing what I spend my money on.

Riiiight. Except for your automobile, phone service, internet purchases, books from the library, housing, utilities, prescription drugs....

I won’t buy a gun with paperwork. The government has no business knowing what I spend my money on.

Riiiight. Except for your automobile, phone service, internet purchases, books from the library, housing, utilities, prescription drugs....

Some things are unavoidable. And, just because they can find out a great deal of things doesn't mean I want to make all or any of them easy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top