JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the difference? I have a vortex sparc and like it but I need a second sight for another AR. I do have a slight astigmatism and the dot on my sparc is kind of starry but it doesn't bother me much. Reason I'm curious about the difference though is I have a chance yo get an eotech 512 for around $230ish or a exps2.0 for just under or right around $300ish. Or maybe it's just the xps2.0...not sure but either way I'm just wondering if the eotech are worth it or do most think they are over rated? Are they that much different than the vortex sparc? I know the dot has the ghost ring thing around it but what else is different. Exuse my ignorance on the subject, I'm kind of new to the world of red dots and such. Also palmeto has the sparc with 10pmags included so that's pretty sweet.

The holographic weapon sight (HWS) in my opinion is much crisper optically than a red dot sight. The HWS also have a much finer dot (1 MOA center dot) which I like. Most of the red dots are at least 2 MOA and larger with the majority of them being 3 MOA or larger reticles. Also you don't get the blurry/ghosting/starry effect with the HWS.:s0159:

I have a Vortex Strikefire and noticed the dot is "starry", but I thought it was just me. I don't know that is enough of a problem to warrant changing sights, but it would be nice if it was a clear dot. My Strikefire can change to a green dot. I didn't use it enough to notice if it was starry when green, but I did notice it was harder to see the green dot on my target (white with red 2" dot) than the red one.

I have 2 Eotech 512's and an Aimpoint. I like the Eotech better due to the larger ghost ring. It lets you acquire the sight picture then you can fine tune the shot with the center dot. Like said above the dot is smaller than most other dots, them being 2 MOA or larger.

I have 2 Eotech 512's and an Aimpoint. I like the Eotech better due to the larger ghost ring. It lets you acquire the sight picture then you can fine tune the shot with the center dot. Like said above the dot is smaller than most other dots, them being 2 MOA or larger.
Does the Eotech use something resembling an illuminated ring to sight through?

See, I'm the other way around. The EoTech Donut of Death is easy to pick up, but it seems cluttered to me. I use an Aimpoint PRO and easily hit 8 inch plates at 300 yards with it.

I have an Aimpoint and an EoTech. I like them both. I think the EoTech is faster on target and the Aimpoint is more precise on targets 100 yards away and farther. It's not a huge difference though, and they're both great sights. If you asked which I like better I'd say the ACOG. :D

If you can get a 512 for $230, buy it immediately. If you don't like it you can easily get your money back out of it. As always, make sure it's not a knock-off: Counterfeit Alert: How to Spot a Fake | EOTech

I have an Aimpoint and an EoTech. I like them both. I think the EoTech is faster on target and the Aimpoint is more precise on targets 100 yards away and farther. It's not a huge difference though, and they're both great sights. If you asked which I like better I'd say the ACOG. :D

If you can get a 512 for $230, buy it immediately. If you don't like it you can easily get your money back out of it. As always, make sure it's not a knock-off: Counterfeit Alert: How to Spot a Fake | EOTech

Won't be a knockoff...big box store has a sale, $100 instant savings, $75 mail in rebate and an extra 10% off for vets.

Looks like I'll be picking up an eotech tomorrow.. now I just need to pick between the 512 or the xps2.0...

The xps 2.0 takes up a lot less space and the battery is situated perpendicular to the direction of travel during recoil. This will save your springs in the battery compartment. The 512s would sometimes flicker or turn off after the springs would wear out.

I understand....I was just reacting to the breakthrough statement that batteries last longer when less power is used....
Well, how many people know why one uses more power than the other?

Plus less likely to have some battery corrosion issue with those weird coin batteries. So... Red dot is better. :rolleyes:

Does the Eotech use something resembling an illuminated ring to sight through?
What you see is an illuminated ring with an inner dot. eotech-1-dot-reticlewyards(1)-252x125.jpg

The eotech is much faster because it is much easier to pick up.
It is also much better for fine shots at distance because it has a smaller dot which only makes it more fun not necessary for bad guys.
Red dots have better battery life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads