JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again, The RMR is too SMALL. If I were to get a Trijicon I would get the SRO. And again, I would just spend a little more and get a suppressor and just use the sights. I don't know how much more clear I can be about the fact that I am not getting an RMR. Seriously, just stop with it.
No, I won't stop. It's better than every other.

Seriously, it took me about 4 shots to get "used" to it.

Too small is a stupid reason to discount it.

I run the Venom on a Glock 17 Gen 5 and my son runs one on his FN 509 Tactical and we both like them very well.

I will admit it taken several hours of training/practice to quickly acquire the dot or at least it did for me, my son was a bit faster at it.

I also will admit I have only shot a few other guns with other brands of red dot on them before getting the Venom so I am no expert but every one has told me it taken them a while to learn the system as well.

I run my 17 in Glock matches and it was more of a range toy when I got it but the more I use it the better I like it.

Good luck.

I just bought a Leupold DPP. Got it from Midway. The reason I decided on that one was it's the largest square'ish red dot. I realized most of the time the dot would be just out of sight to the bottom left or right. Like just a smidge.

Thanks for the input guys. I think what I took from this is, while the budget optics work, there is benefit to the high end optics when the budget stuff doesn't work. Having the larger windows MIGHT make a difference, using the Leupold vs Holosun WILL make the difference, hopefully. If it doesn't work for me on the FNX I will either put it in another gun or return it to Midway.

I will let you all know how it works out. The suppressor will have to wait. 😢

Vortex Viper has the larger 6 MOA dot; Venom has the 3 MOA. This is a pretty good video on the other differences:

While I do like Vortex, I decided against them for these reasons: they are about the same price and quality as Holosun. The Venom is wider but not taller. Also, from everything I've seen online the DPP has better glass.

If you use it for a purpose other than mounted to a semi-auto handgun slide glass quality may come into play. On a semi-auto centerfire the glass starts getting covered with crud on the first shot, even more so if suppressed, at least that has been my experience. Which brings up a good addition to your range kit of some glass cleaner and microfiber cloths. You will find out real quick if you use to much oil or grease on your guns!

While I do like Vortex, I decided against them for these reasons: they are about the same price and quality as Holosun. The Venom is wider but not taller. Also, from everything I've seen online the DPP has better glass.

Edited: I just caught that you bought a Leupold.......good choice.

Last Edited:
Agreed. I bought my Venom for $180 new so I'm OK with that, but the DPP does look really nice. This is my first handgun red dot so if I really like it I might get the DPP or RMR.

Just don't drop the DPP. Those rounded pieces of glass like to break on impact. That's a huge benefit to the square shape of RMRs. I've had DPPs in the past. Great clear optic. You should enjoy it. And the Leupold warranty is great and they're right down the street which is a plus.

@ScatPackLife look at the new micro prism from Primary Arms for your Scorpion. It is the Primary Arms SLX 1x MicroPrism. I am seeing nothing but great reviews for its price point and the 1x should make for great both eyes open shooting. I have its big brother the GLX 2x Prism and really like it for the price point and I will pick up the MicroPrism in the near future. My only experience so far is looking through one so I can't provide actual trigger time feedback.

@ScatPackLife look at the new micro prism from Primary Arms for your Scorpion. It is the Primary Arms SLX 1x MicroPrism. I am seeing nothing but great reviews for its price point and the 1x should make for great both eyes open shooting. I have its big brother the GLX 2x Prism and really like it for the price point and I will pick up the MicroPrism in the near future. My only experience so far is looking through one so I can't provide actual trigger time feedback.
Oh ya, I just recently saw those. I have one of their older 2.5x prism scopes, have used it on a bunch of platforms including the EVO, and really like it. But it mounts like an ACOG so it sits too high on the EVO. But those Micros can sit much lower. I didn't think about using one of those but now I probably will.

Side question: I can shoot well with two eyes open using the 2.5 magnification really well. I've used optics that were not a true 1x and thought the additional magnification was beneficial. Is there a benefit to having a true 1x or do some people have a hard time shooting both eyes open if it's not a true 1x? I don't think there is a right answer since every one is different, I'm just curious if there is something I'm missing? (FWIW my eyes are very different than most peoples, even before I developed uveitis. My eyes just focus differently or something)

Oh ya, I just recently saw those. I have one of their older 2.5x prism scopes, have used it on a bunch of platforms including the EVO, and really like it. But it mounts like an ACOG so it sits too high on the EVO. But those Micros can sit much lower. I didn't think about using one of those but now I probably will.

Side question: I can shoot well with two eyes open using the 2.5 magnification really well. I've used optics that were not a true 1x and thought the additional magnification was beneficial. Is there a benefit to having a true 1x or do some people have a hard time shooting both eyes open if it's not a true 1x? I don't think there is a right answer since every one is different, I'm just curious if there is something I'm missing? (FWIW my eyes are very different than most peoples, even before I developed uveitis. My eyes just focus differently or something)
I can shoot both eyes open with magnifications higher than 1x, I just don't like it as much. I figure if I am shooting both eyes open than any target is close enough the magnification is unneeded. Just my personal usage and I don't have any professional training in/on the subject.

So I had a chance to shoot with the DPP. It's perfect for my needs. I find the dot fast, having the larger window makes a huge difference. The dot and the glass are fantastic. The only issue I ran into is the FNX is not set up to mount the DPP from the factory. You have to buy a plate that is actually for the S&W Core. It sits up higher and you can't cowitness, which isn't something I do anyway.

I also had a chance to shoot a G19 Gen5 with an RMR. Like I thought, the RMR is too small. It's almost there but just a little too small. However, I really liked the Gen5 G19. I don't like the Gen 3 Glocks, but the Gen 5 felt good in my hands and shot really well. I might buy one just to have it.

Arguably I say the DPP is better than the RMR in these ways: larger window, better glass, easy access battery. The RMR is more durable and the dot was a little brighter (it was middle of the day bright daylight) but the DPP dot was plenty bright. Maybe brighter isn't the right word, more like a deeper red color, but it's a smaller dot so that might have been part of it. I would say if your going to war the RMR would be the better choice, but for range/competition the DPP is a better choice IMO. For carry, unless you have a full size gun, the DPP is probably too big.

Threads are worthless without pictures, right? Now I just need to wait a year for my suppressor.

11BA3F0A-2F8C-48BD-A213-F4475E8BAB68.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads