JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Colt 6920 LE 16" thinking I'd like a 20" upper for longer range accuracy and coyotes. Any recommendations?

Second question, if I build an AR from scratch would the lower be registered before the purchase??

Thanks.

I have a Colt 6920 LE 16" thinking I'd like a 20" for longer range accuracy and coyotes. Any recommendations?

Second question, if I build an AR from scratch would the lower be registered before the purchase??

Thanks.

The only part of the firearm that the ATF considers a firearm is the lower receiver ON AN ar15. You dont (yet) need to register a firearm. You do need to pass a background check to buy one though. You can go buy the receiver at any time separate from purchasing any of the other parts.

You could, for example, go get a receiver and pass the background check at purchase. Then buy every other part needed online without any additional checks.

Something else to consider is just getting a different complete upper with a 20" barrel and using it on your colt receiver. Lets say you wanted this 20" complete upper receiver. you can buy this without a background check. (Oops just saw it is not complete and still needs a BCG)
AR15 20" 5.56 Complete Upper w/ Pinned FSB & A2 Handguard - Aero Precision

Assuming it is the same caliber as your colt, just remove the colt upper and attach this new one and you now have a rifle with a 20" barrel

Since you are looking for long range accuracy, in addition to the upper, invest in a better trigger. The stock combat triggers tend to be gritty and may not break the same way each time. Get a nice two stage like a Giselle SSA-E or any of the great single unit drop in triggers out there.

Personally, I'd build the upper to my own spec and use a quality barrel with a great reputation for accuracy like Black Hole. You can also get the exact length and profile you want that way as well. I'd also free float it and make sure I had a mounting spot for a bipod.

I'd suggest an Aero Precision upper, mid or rifle length gas system, adjustable picatinny gas block so you can effectively make it a bolt action, and a free float hand guard.

Building an upper is about as complicated as digging a hole. You need an armorer's wrench, a torque wrench, a couple of punches and a receiver block. IMO you should have most of that anyway so you can do your own maintenance.

6-20? 4-16? The "x" comes before the objective lens. Often verbalized as "by." As in, "I want a six to 20 by 56." Objective lenses, like the tube, are in millimeters.

I'd like a 20" upper for longer range accuracy

As far as the bullet's concerned, barrel length doesn't affect accuracy, only velocity. However, barrel length also affects the rifle's weight, balance and maneuverability.

There are *lots* of barrel smiths who make accurate barrels now. Throw a rock and hit two. Some off the top of my head:
  • Noveske (Oregon made)
  • V-7 (Oregon made)
  • White Oak Armament
  • Shilen
  • Wilson Combat
  • Krieger
  • Ballistic Advantage
  • AR-15 Performance
  • Proof Research
And a crap-ton more I'm forgetting. Have you found a rock to throw yet? Seriously. It's a bonanza right now.

I have a Noveske 16" Recon-profile upper and vouch for its accuracy.

+1 on the trigger. Others are good, but Geissele is the one to beat.

I bought mine from CBC industries. The prices are good, shipping is free. Expect about 2 weeks for your order to arrive. I went with the 24" Wylde barrel :) I have yet to shoot it

And yes your lower

Buy Ar-15 Complete Upper Receivers Online | AR 15 Assembly, Parts Kit for Sale

DSC_1938_zpsbqswqxu5.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show