JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It actually restored my faith in him. I stopped reading him somewhere after Geralds game. I read his short stories full dark no stars, but beyond that meh.

His early work was his prime.

LOL @ the vid. And agreed, I pretty much only like his early work (70s through mid-80s). I haven't read 11/22/63, though, so might check it out. :)

Last Edited:
Andy have you read Swan Song by Robert McCammon?
Sig,
Yes I did , I enjoyed that one very much.
Not SHTF but he also writes a series of books about a "trouble shooter" in Colonial America that is excellent.

I feel the same about 11/22/63 that you do.
He was going in a direction that I didn't like with a lot of his later books.
Andy

The book A Paradise Built In Hell is not the kind of book others have recommended but still relevant to the topic. The premise is that when bad stuff happens, people generally band together and do good things. I didn't finish reading it before I had to return it to the library, but it's on my "to read" list again.

Here is a review I pulled off amazon (opinions contained are not necessarily mine).

"Natural and man-made disasters can be utopias that showcase human solidarity and point the way to a freer society, according this stimulating contrarian study. Solnit (River of Shadows) reproves civil defense planners, media alarmists and Hollywood directors who insist that disasters produce terrified mobs prone to looting, murder and cannibalism unless controlled by armed force and government expertise. Surveying disasters from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake to 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, she shows that the typical response to calamity is spontaneous altruism, self-organization and mutual aid, with neighbors and strangers calmly rescuing, feeding and housing each other. Indeed, the main problem in such emergencies, she contends, is the elite panic of officials who clamp down with National Guardsmen and stifling regulations. Solnit falters when she generalizes her populist brief into an anarchist critique of everyday society that lapses into fuzzy what-ifs and uplifting volunteer testimonials. Still, this vividly written, cogently argued book makes a compelling—and timely—case for the ability of ordinary people to collectively surmount the direst of challenges."

a search for "Unintended Consequences" has so much biographical info.. and yet the printed versions on various booksellers are so expensive.

I could lend you my copy if you haven't read it yet, but you'd have to hand over your first-born child as hostage, and security until you return it. :)

Actually, now that I think about it some more, you could just hand over say 1.5x what the booksellers are asking, to be returned when the book comes back in good condition - or with deductions if the dog chewed it.

Two which have not been mentioned so far:

No Blade Of Grass
by John Christopher, a Brit.

Pulling Through by Dean Ing who is an Oregon author.

Both worth the read.

Last Edited:
Two which have not been mentioned so far:

No Blade Of Grass
by John Christopher, a Brit.

Pulling Through by Dean Ing who is an Oregon author.

Both worth the read.

As far as Ing's book, Pulling Through had a sequel that you might still be able to find in a used book store. I think both are out of print, but I have both books in my PAW fiction collection

Bug Out! series by, Robert Boren is a fun and interesting series. 13 books in the series...

Read so many I've forgetten which one's and often find myself opening a book I have previously...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top