JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw the news today, oh boy!

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Big ~ 8.0 - 8.6 very big ~ 8.6+
"the odds of the big Cascadia earthquake happening in the next fifty years are roughly one in three.
The odds of the very big one are roughly one in ten. "

"Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast."

In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. ".

"OSSPAC estimates that in the I-5 corridor it will take between one and three months after the earthquake to restore electricity, a month to a year to restore drinking water and sewer service, six months to a year to restore major highways, and eighteen months to restore health-care facilities. On the coast, those numbers go up. Whoever chooses or has no choice but to stay there will spend three to six months without electricity, one to three years without drinking water and sewage systems, and three or more years without hospitals. Those estimates do not apply to the tsunami-inundation zone, which will remain all but uninhabitable for years."

If a report needs to be released to make the financial-backers happy, let it fly.

Western Oregon is already in the seizmic zone D3; along with some of interior Alaska. Upgrading to a level 4 would cost the taxpayer/consumer $billions; timely-upgrades could hardly occur for existing structures unless a remodel encompasses more than 25% of the value.

Insurance companies offering land-shift policies will want lots of anchors, soil surveys, and high psi concrete on newly-designed structures, and/or verification on the existing.

Much of the infrastructure in the Columbia basin sits on gravel bars that were formed from the Missoula floods; what about those areas? Gravel in a river bed rolls; less stable than the Coast Range.

The Dalles is also in D3, it sits on an ancient slide.

New structure costs would soar; I don't see the highway or building codes changing based on the information in this report, which lacks a sufficient amount of technical data; example, define "toast".

The Uncertainty Avoidance Industry loves these reports...

Even a year to restore water and sewer is laughable.
SOOO many old (circa 1890's) utilities in Seattle. Even if they have been replacing water lines in Seattle,there is miles of what we called sand cast iron.It could be 1" thick on 1 side and a half inch on the other. Breaks fairly easy (first hand knowledge) and would kind of completely fall apart with a huge quake.
Same deal as trying to get out of the city,it would take forever to clear the streets to fix utilities
Good luck

I put these guys who predict earth quakes about even with weathermen, earthquakes are going to happen and so is weather but nobody has nailed an exact time down. Odds are the insurance companies will use the earthquake info to raise your rates.....

Been through every quake down south for the last 4 decades, bah. Now a volcano! That's something worth hanging around for.

The myth of "falling off" into the ocean, is just that, a myth. Maybe a tsunami, but it would start here and radiate out, so no worries

The odds of something happening anywhere in the next fifty years are probably about the same.
For instance:
Oprah becoming queen of the world
Elvis returning from his home planet
Me getting married again
The angels winning another world series

It took pierce county a year to fix 500 feet of road by me, good luck with those estimates.

Last Edited:
My elderly Mom in FL is all freaked out over this FOX news clip she saw about it. Wants us to grab the kids and run asap! In my opinion these Scientists might have some knowledge of what has happened but none of them can predict the future accurately on climate, earthquakes, landslides or alien attacks!
Saying that, I don't doubt the possibility. But predicting the timing of major or minor geological events is a bit egotistical.
I wonder if there is a political agenda here??? Who is this guy anyway?

Been through every quake down south for the last 4 decades, bah. Now a volcano! That's something worth hanging around for.

The myth of "falling off" into the ocean, is just that, a myth. Maybe a tsunami, but it would start here and radiate out, so no worries

The odds of something happening anywhere in the next fifty years are probably about the same.
For instance:
Oprah becoming queen of the world
Elvis returning from his home planet
Me getting married again
The angels winning another world series

It took pierce county a year to fix 500 feet of road by me, good luck with those estimates.

I think you are a little mistaken about your odds. The odds of this happening are 100%. The odds of it happening in your lifetime? debatable.

However I would say they are considerably better than Elvis showing up in a space ship.

If you look at the actual historical timeline of the Cascadia quakes it's not nearly as imminent as the are making it sound. There is a strong probability we'll have a half release ~8.0 quake in southern oregon/northern california in the next 100 years. The 243 years they claim as average is ALL the quakes, not just major ones. The major quakes average about every 500 years.

Open up Earth Google, pull off some of the layers, or go to USGS site and look at the topography and geography of the area. You will quickly understand what will happen to the Portland metro area, and to the east and west you can expect major infrastructure damage. Portland sits on nothing but a huge oout flow area from the Missoula Floods. While it will not be as severe, compromise of the Columbia River dams could be a problem. :eek:Water, sewer, natural gas will be disrupted.

Look at your daily commutes or travels, see how many bridges you have to cross and underpasses you need to traverse and that will tell you what you are up against. A good GHB and plenty of ammo and a way to cross water ways will be key.

Is there any specific preparations you are doing or any different kind of preparations you are doing out of the normal?

Yes dd, I keep food, water, a full array of camping gear, a nine man tent, fuel, a generator and some weaponry in my stand alone garage. The garage is seriously secure!

I got subducted by aliens once. That's why I carry a gun. lol

paul-movie_77741-1152x864.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews