JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm actually wearing my "Never Again!" T-shirt.
You know why? Because "Never Again!" is why! lol
Heck, I can't even walk by the Hot Dog on a Stick place down at the mall without getting all twitchy.
PTSD on so many levels.

Clenching up walking by hot dog on a stick....That is funny stuff right there. You sure it was aliens and not that you answered the wrong craigslist add?!
Either way keep that shirt on!

My elderly Mom in FL is all freaked out over this FOX news clip she saw about it. Wants us to grab the kids and run asap! In my opinion these Scientists might have some knowledge of what has happened but none of them can predict the future accurately on climate, earthquakes, landslides or alien attacks!
Saying that, I don't doubt the possibility. But predicting the timing of major or minor geological events is a bit egotistical.
I wonder if there is a political agenda here??? Who is this guy anyway?

To quote H.L. Menken: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and clamoring to be led to safety".

No one has discussed the bridges in the PNW. I think I have heard that between Western Oregon & Washington, there are over 600 major bridges that would fail or become unusable in a major seismic event.

Hmmmm. That would put a wrinkle in the daily commute.

As far as the odds go.

The odds are probably greater that we have a major earthquake in the PNW than that of you needing to use a carry weapon in self defense.

However most of you see the value in carrying for protection right?

Most people have a real hard time with "Odds". Which is one reason why so many folks play the lotto. In this case folks do the opposit. The odds of an event are significant, yet because of normality bias assume Tomorrow will be just like today, yesterday and the day before.

The reality is that if you spend your life living on the west coast you will likely experience an significant earthquake.

The wife and I were discussing this a few weeks ago and were thinking of a bugout location, and a place to get together with other family members. We thought of Mill City where our daughter lives, but then started thinking of the effect of an earthquake on Detroit dam. Found out that Mill City would be one of the towns wiped out by a sudden failure of the dam.

We were also thinking about which vehicle to take. The Ford F-250 would definitely be a better choice than a sedan if we needed to bypass collapsed bridges and overpasses. But at 10 mpg, would soon be useless.

leaves you plenty to think about.

To quote H.L. Menken: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and clamoring to be led to safety".

No one has discussed the bridges in the PNW. I think I have heard that between Western Oregon & Washington, there are over 600 major bridges that would fail or become unusable in a major seismic event.

Hmmmm. That would put a wrinkle in the daily commute.
No doubt when IT happens mass chaos will happen but how widespread? Within a few years or a few decades?
These Scientists can't predict squat in my opinion. And there is always political or monetary motivation behind all these warnings.

When I was a kid scientists were predicting a MAJOR California earthquake killing thousands. Now it's the Cascadia Subduction Zone we are to be more concerned with. Where's all the over population problems that should have doomed us all by now? Wasn't acid rain supposed to kill all the forests?

The world is not a safe place. My mom is suggesting we move to a "safer place" that is known to kill many dozens yearly with twisters.

She lives in a place where sinkholes swallow up houses and many are killed by lightening, snakes, gators etc.!

Not to mention according to Al Gore and his Scientists, FL will be underwater if we don't all start driving Priuses soon.

Good to be educated and have a plan but won't be losing any sleep over an imminent earthquake.

I'm pretty much a minimum prepper with guns, ammo, food serviceable vehicles etc. but just like earthquakes are unpredictable so will your situation afterwards be.

Your resourcefulness will probably be your biggest asset if you survive the big quake!

Not to belittle reality/potentiality, I think the big eyeball on the deal is that some very good piece was written very recently.. and was widely read and many otherlanders are going like.. "wow!" or something.
Over here you just go "yep". lol
Something to talk about I guess.

pre·dic·tion
prəˈdikSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: prediction; plural noun: predictions
  1. a thing predicted; a forecast.
    "a prediction that the Greeks would destroy the Persian empire"
    synonyms: forecast, prophecy, prognosis, prognostication, augury;More
    projection, conjecture, guess
    "seven months later, his prediction came true"
    • the action of predicting something.
      "the prediction of future behavior"
Predictions about certain things, (well all things) are just that. A prediction. Fact has nothing to do with it. If a major earthquake happens here, and it might, then really, there is nothing anyone can do about it. Should you prepare for an emergency? Of course. Is getting all freaked out about a "prediction" helpful? Nope.
Just my opinion, your mileage may vary....

Very true. No reason to be afraid, also no reason not to have a plan and preparations. The plan will never work, but it's worse yet not to have one.
I think a major earthquake could be equated to the fight game
Mike Tyson said everyone has a game plan till the get punched in the face
Your game plan may sound good until that 'punch in the face' that it did indeed actually happen
If there is a major earthquake in the PNW,with the old buildings and infrastructure,the sight will be incredible.probably making some people not able to grasp what has happened.

None of this is actually new. Most of this information can be found around for at least a couple of years. Here are links to some further (previous) press and response plans.

Here is alanning doc (warning 182 page pdf) for the upcoming Cascadia Rising training exercise -- a multi-state plus federal exercise that happens next year. <broken link removed>

An [a href="[URL]http://www.oregonaresraces.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Cascadia-Playbook-ARES-Tasks.pdf[/URL]"]ARES task list[/a] (ARES is the Amateur Radio Emergency Service, ham radio volunteers who respond in times of disaster) for those of you who might be ham radio operators

Cascadia Subduction Zone Exercise (CSZ) — Cascadia Rising 2016

Core principle: Jointness

Expect this to be a National Level Exercise with many organizations playing.

Survey results from the kick-off meeting identified six top priorities:

Operational Communications
Public Health and Medical Services
Mass Care Services
Situational Assessment
Critical transportation or all critical infrastructure?
Operational Coordination

Tentative Dates: Week of June 6, 2016 (four days)

Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake, magnitude 9.0. Ground shaking to last up to five minutes. Tsunami wave height 20 to 80 feet with multiple waves. This is a functional exercise.

Focus on EOC to EOC operations and ability to coordinate.

Oregon will play in parallel with the exercise, not using Washington objectives, etc.

Compressed time will be part of the exercise in order to bring in federal military assets. Ardent Sentry is the name of the NORTHCOM exercise that will be happening concurrently.

"Select private partners" can play if they sign the extent of play agreement. They want organizations to play either days one and two or two and three, or play all four days.

Next exercise design milestones:

Aug. 15: Design committee membership applications and signed extent of play agreements
Aug. 29: Exercise design governance structure with names solidified
September: Exercise players list finalized
September: Joint exercise objectives published

Here are some links to the Washington Guard Response Plan for a major Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake.
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

WA Dept of Health http://www.pnwbha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/CrossBorder-CSZ-MLoehr-2015_V4.pdf

State of Oregon http://www.oregon.gov/omd/oem/plans_train/docs/csz/1_csz_plan_final.pdf

And this two year old study (pdf) of the effects of 9.0 Cascadia earthquake by the Cascadia Region Earthquake Workgroup <broken link removed>
Widespread power outages are expected throughout the Pacific Northwest, with partial blackouts in every city located within 100 miles of the coast in Washington and Oregon and in parts of northwestern California...

Modeling shows that the supply of drinking water is very likely to be interrupted as a result of earth-quake damage. As with other utilities, the time it takes to restore some level of functionality will depend on location: Estimates range from three weeks to seven months, and perhaps much longer in areas near the coast. Complete restoration of some damaged systems could take several years.

And an interview with an Oregon OEM geologist on the effects of such a large earthquake, also from two years ago. <broken link removed>

A major earthquake would cripple transportation on Interstate 5 as bridges and overpasses collapse from two to four minutes of ground shaking, possible very severe, with stressful aftershocks for weeks.

"It's going to shake here," she said. "Single-family homes will bounce off their foundations. Landslides will cause transportation between I-5 and (Highway) 101 on the coast to be cut off for three to five years."

A big quake will cause liquefaction, in which the ground, if saturated with water, will "turn to pudding," causing hardware, such as sewer systems, septic lines and gas tanks, to rise up out of the earth.

Lines from Washington state gasoline refineries cross 15 rivers, leaving them vulnerable to quake tremors, she says. Most of these were built in the mid-20th century, with no thought to making them quake-resistant, she says, adding that they would be offline for at least six months.

Electrical power would be down from one to three months until transformers and the electrical grid get going again, she says.
Here is a video put out by Oregon Dept of Geology about CSZ earthquakes. It's about four years old. It gives a general overview of what a CSZ earthquake is. The CSZ averages a major (8+ magnitude) earthquake every 250 years. January of 1700 was the last one, so we're overdue. "You're only as prepared as your least prepared neighbor."

Last Edited:
I remember watching a doc about big earthquakes and I remember them saying if there is ever a 10, it will be in the PNW. I figure, if it happens, it happens. If you think your going to be smart and move to Montana, or Wyoming to get away from it, Remember whats sitting under Yellowstone.

Undoubtedly guns and the Gadsden Flag would be blamed for the earthquake (all that noise and lead), and the liberal politicians in the other states would use it as an excuse to ban and confiscate.

My elderly Mom in FL is all freaked out over this FOX news clip she saw about it. Wants us to grab the kids and run asap! In my opinion these Scientists might have some knowledge of what has happened but none of them can predict the future accurately on climate, earthquakes, landslides or alien attacks!
Saying that, I don't doubt the possibility. But predicting the timing of major or minor geological events is a bit egotistical.
I wonder if there is a political agenda here??? Who is this guy anyway?

Sam Shepard of Fox News said that the whole I-5 corridor from Seattle to Eugene was going to be toast. It was a very scary presentation that he made:

foxnewsoregon1.jpg

If Seattle, Oly, PDX, Salem and Eugene go then it may be worth the cost, now if San Fran, Sacramento and Hollywood were included.......:)
Consider the two major tsunamis that recently occurred, neither were predicted, that tells me that this hype about a future one is just that. As for me I shall enjoy beach combing along the upper Columbia

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top