JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sam Shepard of Fox News said that the whole I-5 corridor from Seattle to Eugene was going to be toast. It was a very scary presentation that he made:

View attachment 247996
LOL, Sam Shepard is the actor who played Chuck Yeager in "The Right Stuff", an excellent movie btw!
Shepard Smith is the Fox News Anchor. He's been known to get over excited at times. Don't know if it's his real personality or his hype is made up for ratings.
Too bad progressives don't watch FOX. They would flee the West coast maybe after Shep's scary presentation!

Is there any specific preparations you are doing or any different kind of preparations you are doing out of the normal?
Got with my most trusted neighbors. We had a discussion about which neighbors we can trust and who has what supplies should they not make it through the quake. Spoke with a co worker who said he will probably head to my place. When I said I may not help him out he said he would just try to take from me. I explained the lay out of my neighborhood and that I could drop him from 200 yards in three different directions it ended the discussion. Hopefully that put an end to that threat. Once again going through my get home bag. My evening commute is 25 miles of very rural road and will start reassessing alternate routes, places to rest and where I might be able to acquire supplies should I ever have to make that trip on foot.

Let's see, I have survived flying through a hurricane, the 1972 LA Quake, numerous misunderstandings in the military, car wrecks, one volcano, one near drowning, one near freezing, various horse upsets, one knife fight, one gunfight, several wives and a jealous husband. Now where should I place tsunami on my list of worries?o_O

Let's see, I have survived flying through a hurricane, the 1972 LA Quake, numerous misunderstandings in the military, car wrecks, one volcano, one near drowning, one near freezing, various horse upsets, one knife fight, one gunfight, several wives and a jealous husband. Now where should I place tsunami on my list of worries?o_O
Right up there with getting hit by a toilet seat from the ISS

I'm the EP coordinator for my facility, as such I attend a lot of the FEMA / State level EP coordination seminars, classes, etc. What I can tell you with relative certainty in taking all the FEMA / ICS classes is that if and when a large scale earthquake hits the Pacific North West, its going to be a bad scene for quite a while, years if not decades. Everyone seems to think that our infrastructure can just be....fixed after something like that.

Some people forget that in a large scale event like that, the whole western part of the states will be in need of financial, structural and medical help. Oh, you need temporary medical and lodging facilities? So does Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Salem on and on and on. You need people and equipment / resources to fix the water lines/roads/power grid? So does everyone else. Get in line.

The biggest take back I have learned is simply this, we are not prepared. All these fancy command centers and buildings we have wont mean bubblegum. Portland has a ECC that is damn near 100% self sustaining, catches/treats its own water, solar / wind power and generators etc. What good does any of that do when no one can get to it because you built it in a flood zone?

Not to sound like a doom and gloom guy, but the reality is if we did get a 10 in the area, you may as well understand you are hitting the restart button. The only problem is EVERYONE is doing it at the same time, get ready to stand in line. o_O

I'm the EP coordinator for my facility, as such I attend a lot of the FEMA / State level EP coordination seminars, classes, etc. What I can tell you with relative certainty in taking all the FEMA / ICS classes is that if and when a large scale earthquake hits the Pacific North West, its going to be a bad scene for quite a while, years if not decades. Everyone seems to think that our infrastructure can just be....fixed after something like that.

Some people forget that in a large scale event like that, the whole western part of the states will be in need of financial, structural and medical help. Oh, you need temporary medical and lodging facilities? So does Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Salem on and on and on. You need people and equipment / resources to fix the water lines/roads/power grid? So does everyone else. Get in line.

The biggest take back I have learned is simply this, we are not prepared. All these fancy command centers and buildings we have wont mean bubblegum. Portland has a ECC that is damn near 100% self sustaining, catches/treats its own water, solar / wind power and generators etc. What good does any of that do when no one can get to it because you built it in a flood zone?

Not to sound like a doom and gloom guy, but the reality is if we did get a 10 in the area, you may as well understand you are hitting the restart button. The only problem is EVERYONE is doing it at the same time, get ready to stand in line. o_O

A level 10 EQ is not a legitimate concern as it is not survivable, think continental shift.
Decades ago I watched some BBC production, it was written by active Soviet supporters, the emergency co-ordination center was buried in debris w/all inside trapped and isolated due to it's location in an urban center. Set your goals then do what you can with what you have where your at

Prep up boys and girls. Were living on a big rock flying through space. On the scale of possibilities nuclear war and a seizmic 10 are very low on the scale of bad things that could happen but they're still very big concerns.
Get yourself a 55 gallon barrel of rice and beans. It will cost you around $220 and will last a family of 5 up to seven months eating two meals a day.
Get yourself at least three 55 gallon barrels of water. That will supply three people for 110 days.
Get yourself a 55 gallon barrel of clothing. Wool, rain gear, boots, gloves, hats... Just start my putting your own used clothes in there instead of donating it to goodwill.

The biggest take back I have learned is simply this, we are not prepared. All these fancy command centers and buildings we have wont mean bubblegum.

Seattle built a new EOC about 7 years ago. They spent a pretty penny. Where did they build it? Right downtown, a block from city hall so the important people wouldn't have to walk far. If the big one hits I don't think it will do them much good.

Seattle built a new EOC about 7 years ago. They spent a pretty penny. Where did they build it? Right downtown, a block from city hall so the important people wouldn't have to walk far. If the big one hits I don't think it will do them much good.
For a big quake,I would guess half of downtown will be in Elliot bay.
Y'all know it's sitting on another city and has been made of land fill,on the ground that sloped naturally into the bay?

Sounds like you have done everything else. Tsunami might actually be next on the list.

I would have put "Mountain Blowing Up My Fathers Lake Cabin" pretty low on the list prior to 1980. Way below earthquake (several) or tropical storm (Columbus Day, 1962). Seems like someone has been trying to get my attention most of my life.

Anybody remembr the Nisqually Quake.....it was pretty good sized but not the uber quake predicted. Released some pressure in 2000. Me I have lived through all the major Wa St quakes since the big one in 62 or whatever. Be prepared but fear not. We live in
Lkely he safest place in the country. More people freeze to death every winter in Nebraska Han die in Cascadia earthquakes. Yes it will happen, tomorrow mebbe in 2075, mebbe.
This fear mongering is lining some bodies pockets.
Brutus out

Hell, Yellowstone could put the globe into an ice age if it decided to blow big.
I was on Mt St Helens on May 18th 1980 and that puny thing gave me goose bumps for 10 years after.
It took that long for me to go back on it. Yellowstone makes that look like a single goose bump on momma cass's dairiare.

Everyone is taking in the big picture - good.
Talking about personal preparedness - useless
Thinking it won't affect them - wishful thinking
Some are prepared, preparing - good.

Earthquake, volcano eruption, mudflows, avalanches, storms.

If I live, I'm prepared better than most of my neighbors.
San Fernando Valley, 6am 9 Feb 1971
"I feel the - EARTH - MOVE - UNDER MY FEET"
Glass breaking, cement cracking, ground splitting apart 10 feet deep.
Water mains breaking, gas pipelines ruptured, reservoir dams failing, telecomm dead
Buildings crashing down, fires starting. Power out, overpasses down, bridges down.

Go buy a jug of distilled water, bag of beans, rice. Start now.

Hell, Yellowstone could put the globe into an ice age if it decided to blow big.
I was on Mt St Helens on May 18th 1980 and that puny thing gave me goose bumps for 10 years after.
It took that long for me to go back on it. Yellowstone makes that look like a single goose bump on momma cass's dairiare.
Hey I'm enjoying the hot springs made from the Yellowstone lava and I'm 300? 400? miles away

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top