JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes dd, I keep food, water, a full array of camping gear, a nine man tent, fuel, a generator and some weaponry in my stand alone garage. The garage is seriously secure!

Last evening my wife and I had an EQ drill, it was very unsatisfactory! We raced around loading up our day to day supplies to get them outside or to the garage. Took WAY to long! We are discussing and making lists now.
1. Consolidate Everything
2. Buy spares to stage in the garage (examp: telephone chargers, copy's of important papers, more clothes! This is, mostly, stuff we have in the house already, and there's a ton of it!)
3. Load more magazines and stage in garage
4. More Food
5. More cook gear and cleanup gear
6. Spend some money on improved storage containers
My mind is boggled now but there is much more! We want to be able to step out the door and take our lives with us! What we have in the garage now is too basic, read primitive, and no comfort! Mere painful existence!
Yesterdays test showed more than a simple planing and gear failure. We were both exhausted getting, perhaps, one fifth of what really need ready! We're old, I'm disabled and we both have a lot of issues!:( Sooo.......we're planing this out better and implementing those plans! On the cheep too!:)

Last Edited:
Last evening my wife and I had an EQ drill, it was very unsatisfactory! We raced around loading up our day to day supplies to get them outside or to the garage. Took WAY to long! We are discussing and making lists now.
1. Consolidate Everything
2. Buy spares to stage in the garage (examp: telephone chargers, copy's of important papers, more clothes! This is, mostly, stuff we have in the house already, and there's a ton of it!)
3. Load more magazines and stage in garage
4. More Food
5. More cook gear and cleanup gear
6. Spend some money on improved storage containers
My mind is boggled now but there is much more! We want to be able to step out the door and take our lives with us! What we have in the garage now is too basic, read primitive, and no comfort! Mere painful existence!
Yesterdays test showed more than a simple planing and gear failure. We were both exhausted getting, perhaps, one fifth of what really need ready! We're old, I'm disabled and we both have a lot of issues!:( Sooo.......we're planing this out better and implementing those plans! On the cheep too!:)
I am disabled as well and and my wife and I realized we had always have something set up that we just go to. I cabin in the woods would be the best but we live on a very honest and meager income so we turned our old VW camper intoba bug out escape pod. This could be done with almost any car or truck. We keep in the van 24/7 50lbs of Jasmine rice, 20lbs of sugar, drinking water, ammo and anything and everything one would take camping. We leave the guns inside the house for humidity reasons but its all inclusive. The longest part about leaving is transfering from my wheelchair to the captains seats 18" higher then where I sit in my wheelchair. I think some old late 70's or early 80's station wagon would be the bomb with a big old V8 and a steel cattle catcher front bumper.

There was another, around 6k BC.It was when the side of Mt Etna fell into the sea. they showed the area that the tsunami affected which was most of the holy land and could be the reason for the Epic of Gilgamesh. which may be the basis of Noah.

Just Google up Missoula Floods for a close to home idea of how this area was shaped. I started studying them in soils class in college back in the late 70's and have read a lot and I am completely fascinated by how they shape Western Oregon.

As far as those Portlandia jerks making it to Central or Eastern Oregon, the only way they will have is to walk. Most mountain passes have numerous weak spots that will fail. Good Luck to them transiting the Cascades on foot in January.

Just Google up Missoula Floods for a close to home idea of how this area was shaped. I started studying them in soils class in college back in the late 70's and have read a lot and I am completely fascinated by how they shape Western Oregon.

As far as those Portlandia jerks making it to Central or Eastern Oregon, the only way they will have is to walk. Most mountain passes have numerous weak spots that will fail. Good Luck to them transiting the Cascades on foot in January.

yeah, I have read up on those as well. if it ever happened again.. everything in Portland was under soemthing like 500 feet of water.. so I hope hippies float.

yeah, I have read up on those as well. if it ever happened again.. everything in Portland was under soemthing like 500 feet of water.. so I hope hippies float.

Ya what are there, 7 dams upstream of portlandia just on the Columbia and snake river plus all the dams up the Willamette and other rivers that go right to portland. A good shake and portland is dead.

Ya what are there, 7 dams upstream of portlandia just on the Columbia and snake river plus all the dams up the Willamette and other rivers that go right to portland. A good shake and portland is dead.

From what I recall, when the glaciers damming up Lake Missoula gave way, the lake was up to 3 miles deep. Those floods were several thousand orders of magnitude worse than what we would have in present day. No idea if all dams would fail with an earthquake, or if a failure upstream would be enough to overflow and topple other dams downstream.

I've read that if the Detroit dam failed, it would be catastrophic for the downstream towns. They would be wiped out in a matter of minutes. To be honest, I was thinking that a tsunami on the coast wouldn't effect those of us in the valley because of the coast range. Hadn't really thought of water coming from the other direction.

Makes you think twice about an evacuation plan.

I think unless you lived (or worked) along one of the main dammed rivers, or maybe on their flood plains, or you had to cross them, or were crossing them when the dams gave away (or shortly thereafter) then the dams giving away wouldn't directly or immediately affect you. It would cause a lot of havoc and damage though.

I do work in a probable flood plain on the Willamette. If a bad earthquake hit, if I could (I work in a 9 story building), I would remove myself as fast as possible from that flood plain. Who knows when or if the dams would fail sufficiently to flood downtown Portland? It would be best to not be there for quite some time IMO.

Well go back and look at how high the water went in Japan. The right tsunami could back up the Columbia and cause real floods
Pretty hard to believe the tsunami would travel against the current in a river the size of the Columbia with all of the twists and turns, islands, sandbars and still make an appreciable impact 120 miles upstream.

Pretty hard to believe the tsunami would travel against the current in a river the size of the Columbia with all of the twists and turns, islands, sandbars and still make an appreciable impact 120 miles upstream.
It backs it up twice every day!
Did you watch any of the Japan videos? They are awesome
And I guess it would depend on the severity and power of the tsunami

It backs it up twice every day!
Did you watch any of the Japan videos? They are awesome
And I guess it would depend on the severity and power of the tsunami
I suppose one could look up how far up the Japanese rivers the water traveled.

I'm pretty sure Astoria, Long Beach, Seaside, etc. will be toast. Still hard to believe it would travel all the way to Portland.

So the 2011 tsunami hit Japan with waves just under 130 feet high,656 feet away and another 1400 feet away.
Again,depending on how severe it is it would probably raise the river in Portland and may or may not flood.
But for this thread you need to stay on topic and believe it would bring say,100ft waves? to Portland.
We're trying to invoke excitement,I mean PANIC here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami

Well, with marijuana legal in both WA and OR it'll be WHOOOAAAAA, DUDE, that is one big, gnarly wave....

Be prepared, but if it is a big one be more prepared. Personally wouldn't settle for less than 3 months food put aside. As we used to say plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

Brutus Out

So the 2011 tsunami hit Japan with waves just under 130 feet high,656 feet away and another 1400 feet away.
Again,depending on how severe it is it would probably raise the river in Portland and may or may not flood.
But for this thread you need to stay on topic and believe it would bring say,100ft waves? to Portland.
We're trying to invoke excitement,I mean PANIC here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tōhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami
Sorry, didn't mean to flush your panic.

5 years of Engineering School makes me question the whole science thing. It's kind of an interesting study.

Cheer up though, the same tsunami would probably TRASH most of the coastal cities in California.

Never mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads