JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings,
I've been a firearms instructor for several years now and one of the questions I've struggled to answer is "What are practical safe methods for a woman to carry concealed?"

Being a male instructor, I have a few suggestions but nothing real world based. One of my fellow instructors has suggestions but she too is looking for other input.

I'm posting here to gain in sight about how woman are really conceal carrying, and not just ads trying to sell the next gadget holster.

Please, I would love some feedback.

PS: If I'm breaking a rule for posting, please tell me and I'll get out of your sub-forum.

I totally agree, a purse is the LAST place a gun should be carried. A purse is the first thing many crooks will go for and how many times have you seen a woman shopping with their purse unattended in a shopping cart?. You may lose your cash, credit cards and your concealed carry weapon which would be very bad, but it could be much worse for the crooks next victim because you just provided him a nice loaded gun!. Carrying a gun is a great responsibility and it is the carriers duty to have their weapon on their person and under their control! Anything else is negligent and begging for trouble.

My dear wife started with a Bersa Thunder 380 because it has all those safeties. But that was too heavy for IWB and ended up in her purse, so I sold that and bought her a Ruger LCR38. Too lumpy, so I bought her a CCW purse with a special compartment that could lock. Since she changes purses every season that fell out of favor. I tried to steer her back to IWB with a $300 Kahr 380, but she could not rack the slide. The gun store tried to upsell her to a Glock 42 which I knew would be too big. Finally she bought herself a KelTec P32 that is only 10 ounces loaded. With a kydex clamshell holster and a UltiClip it is easy to carry in yoga pants under a loose top.

This could be a real niche market.
A concealed carry holster for women.
Seeing as how women are built different than men , I can see a need for some new designs.
Also most women's clothes are cut or tailored differently so getting a holster to fit and be concealed could be difficult.
Sorry I have no suggestions.
But I do think a holster built for a woman is a idea worth exploring.
Andy

crossbreed specifically makes a womens holster, supposedly its "softer"...
<broken link removed>

I've always tried to steered clear anyone from off the body carry. A purse can be taken or forgotten. That part worries me.

Thoughts?

agree, there are too many variables for off body EDC. Here is a good article on the subject: http://www.corneredcat.com/article/practical-issues/should-i-carry-in-my-purse/

I also second checking out corneredcat.com, there are several articles on CC for women including holster selection...
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/practical-issues/concealed-carry-for-the-fashionable-woman/

Only time my wife carried concealed it was using a Remora no clip holster. She liked that she could put it into place on many different outfits and not need a belt.

Greetings,
I've been a firearms instructor for several years now and one of the questions I've struggled to answer is "What are practical safe methods for a woman to carry concealed?"

Being a male instructor, I have a few suggestions but nothing real world based. One of my fellow instructors has suggestions but she too is looking for other input.

I'm posting here to gain in sight about how woman are really conceal carrying, and not just ads trying to sell the next gadget holster.

Please, I would love some feedback.

PS: If I'm breaking a rule for posting, please tell me and I'll get out of your sub-forum.

How women dress is important. Women wear different slacks and often do not have belts.
A lot of women would benefit from the Ulticlip on their choice of holster, especially with a handgun that is 19 oz or less. My wife has a Cook's IWB holster with Ulticlip for a RM380

This could be a real niche market.
A concealed carry holster for women.
Seeing as how women are built different than men , I can see a need for some new designs.
Also most women's clothes are cut or tailored differently so getting a holster to fit and be concealed could be difficult.
Sorry I have no suggestions.
But I do think a holster built for a woman is a idea worth exploring.
Andy

The Well Armed Woman has been making them for years. They fit lower on the waist so we get a longer draw than with a holster designed for a man. I have the convertible one, that can be IWB or OWB, with the removal of a couple of screws.

I prefer to carry on my body, but I do have a CC purse for times when I can't, but I get very nervous when I use it. My current handgun is too large to carry in the summer, so I'm trying to save up for a smaller "summer gun" ( glock43 preferably). It's almost always a challenge, if I want to wear attractive, cute clothing. Dressing frumpy in baggy clothes would make it easier

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews