JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... Does it take more than 1 firing to fireform brass or should the fired brass from this last outing represent my chamber pretty well? I think it's important to note that my lowest charges had very little marks on the caseheads.

If it doesn't fireform in one shot, it doesn't seal the chamber and is a badly designed case. I would guess all your brass is now fireformed.

------ caveat ------
Don't take what I say below as gospel here because at this point I'm a bit out of my depth, so we're just pondering things together at this point.
-------------------------

It is worth considering that the lousy ES figures in the two lightest loads might be indicative of inconsistent powder burn and it may take more powder to get everything to go off with consistency. Or maybe a tighter crimp in case the primer is launching the bullet before the powder can really get going. In any event, while the cases were cleaner, the ES was dirty for those two. If you are careful with measuring and seating and can eliminate those variables, I would wonder if the combustion is not consistent at low powder levels.

It is also interesting that your factory loads chewed the cases even though they had velocities pretty similar to your 2nd lightest handloads which did not chew them up. That's a bit hard to understand but it is plain that velocity and case chewing are not perfectly correlated.

Your loads are definitely shooting faster than the estimates published in the Hornady manual (forgive the late night careless photo edit) but that could be due to a lot of things, not least of all differences in their barrel and yours.

h10th.png :

Anyway, as mentioned by someone above, perhaps the Tavor is supposed to eat cases. It's primary purpose is not a range toy to give joy to reloaders -- it's designed for more serious use cases where a failure to function could be far more significant than whether reloaders like the brass it spits out. If I were in your shoes, I'd work on something that I know how to do -- figure out which load gives you the best group and best ES. Perhaps answers to the brass questions will turn up as you go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top