JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a good day at the range today testing some loads for a Remington Model Seven Stainless in 223 Remington. Ten 3 shot groups fired at 100 yards from a rest, calm winds about 38 degrees this morning. Shooting all groups with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Scope used was a Leupold VX-3I 2.5-8X36 with a Boone & Crocket reticle. Marked on the target with a sharpie a number in the upper left box of the target that references the powder and charge weight for that group. All loads seated at 2.322" over all length (10 thousands off lands). Fired 3 shots of each load for group then two shots of each load through the chronograph. Group size measured center to center, or outside to outside furthest spread minus bullet diameter.

1 H4895 25.5 Grains 2955 FPS .500" Group
2 H4895 26.0 Grains 3060 FPS .618" Group
3 H335 24.5 Grains 2860 FPS 1.129" Group
4 H335 25.0 Grains 2920 FPS .778" Group
5 BL-C(2) 27.0 Grains 2841 FPS .259" Group
6 BL-C(2) 2735 Grains 2906 FPS .994" Group
7 H322 22.5 Grains 2732 FPS 1.056" Group
8 H322 23.0 Grains 2795 FPS.573" Group
9 Varget 27.0 Grains 3027 FPS .677" Group
10 Varget 27.5 Grains 3060 FPS .521" Group

DSCN0342.JPG DSCN0343.JPG
27.0 Grains of BL-C(2) was the tightest group at .259" but was fairly slow at 2841 FPS.
27.5 Grains of Varget was a very respectable group and good velocity at 3060 FPS.
26.0 Grains of H4895 @ .618" and 25.5 Grains of H4895 @ .500 were more consistent with good muzzle velocity of 3060 FPS and 2955 FPS respectively.

I think I'll go with the 26.0 Grains of H4895, good velocity, good consistency with that powder, and I just bought an 8lb jug of it a while ago, so I have lots to use!

How are you finding what charge to load?

IE:
Are the charges you loaded an arbitrary weight or is there any specific reason you opted for it?

Did you work an unseen ladder for each powder?

Did you pick the middle charge weight for a load?

How are you finding what charge to load?

IE:
Are the charges you loaded an arbitrary weight or is there any specific reason you opted for it?

Did you work an unseen ladder for each powder?

Did you pick the middle charge weight for a load?

I start with a 10% reduction from max and load a round at 8%, 6%, 4% etc checking for pressure, once I have established that there are no pressure problems I usually shoot for group with loads about half a grain under max and a group at max. Mainly trying to squeeze performance out of the cartridge in terms of velocity. I have a number of powders to choose from on my bench and lots of loading manuals so the combinations are plentiful. I usually pick the 5 best powders that give the best velocity based on the bullet that I want to use. I keep the bullet, primer, case, and seating depth the same and only change the powder and the charge weight until I get a load that groups well and gives good velocity.

Once I settle on a powder charge weight I'll fine tune the seating depth with 3 shot groups varying the seating depth a couple of thousands to find the sweet spot. Generally if the near max or max loads don't show accuracy in the 1/2 MOA range or better I move along to another powder and keep trying.

Takes a little time and resources but if you work at it you can have reloads that make your factory rifle shoot like a custom bench rest gun.

I have owned a dozen or so Model Seven rifles over the years, absolutely love their handiness and accuracy. So light and maneuverable! One of my favorite factory offerings, that and the Tikka T-3's and Sako Vixen's.
Preach it. I got mine out of the love/hate I had for my old Savage .223.. the action was long enough for .375 H&H. What a clunker!
I love that short action etc..

Ok so you are working off of max because you want velocity.

I personally have found all of my accuracy nodes almost dead center of the powder variance.

If 0% is the book minimum and 100% is the book max: mine usually fall within the 50-70% range; but I don't go for velocity.

Appreciate the response, really explains your madness.

For me accuracy nodes are at about 80% max. But it depends upon the rifle. You can also find two or more accuracy nodes. I did at about 102% and at about 85% with my 6 mm. I chose to shoot the 85% node because the difference in wind deflection was small and I thought I would give my barrel a little bit of a break

That's what I am running also. 26 grains oh H4895, cci 400's but 50gr. v and z max bullets. Velocity is right at 3400. Accuracy is dime to nickel size 5 shot groups. LOVE IT!!! Splat Factor is tremendous.

Ok so you are working off of max because you want velocity.

I personally have found all of my accuracy nodes almost dead center of the powder variance.

If 0% is the book minimum and 100% is the book max: mine usually fall within the 50-70% range; but I don't go for velocity.

Appreciate the response, really explains your madness.

Velocity was important on this particular rifle as the barrel has been cut down to 18".

Both the H4895 and Varget powders grouped very well and they were at or near max, so the middle of the road is not always true for accuracy. The best group with the BL-C(2) was a half a grain off max also....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top