JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the range yesterday and when I was heading out, my wife asked me how long I'd be gone. When I said "it depends on whether there's much good brass lying around", she scoffed at me and rolled her eyes. I came back with 276 pieces of Norma .223 brass and she was still unimpressed until I showed her the current prices for empties (midway and brownells shown in pic below).

Anyway, I spent $17 on 150 .380 reloads, $31 in 100 commercially produced 5.56, $2 on a coffee, $6 in gas, and still came out ahead. ;-)

brass.png

I usually pay about $0.30/round for factory (Federal, Hornady) .223/5.56 ammo, yet Norma brass is going for $0.54/piece. I'm curious, what justifies this price?

Tighter manufacturing tolerances make each piece more consistent with the others -- this helps reduce variables that can have an effect on a load's performance and at least theoretically help you build more accurate ammo. I've used plenty of Hornaday, Federal, and others, though I put more work into those cases.

I usually pay about $0.30/round for factory (Federal, Hornady) .223/5.56 ammo, yet Norma brass is going for $0.54/piece. I'm curious, what justifies this price?

Tighter manufacturing tolerances make each piece more consistent with the others -- this helps reduce variables that can have an effect on a load's performance and at least theoretically help you build more accurate ammo. I've used plenty of Hornaday, Federal, and others, though I put more work into those cases.

Nah! It's because Norma has big brass ones...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top